GX470 spare key source suggestions? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

How would a thrifty gentleman like myself get a second key made for a GX470 and not get robbed ?

My research seems to indicate that getting an OEM key from an online lexus parts dealer and then getting the key cut/programmed by a bonded locksmith, might be the best way to get quality key without emptying my wallet.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

On my LX I ordered a key from ebay then took it to ACE Hardware and they cut it and I programmed it. I downloaded TIS which has been amazing.

On my LX I ordered a key from ebay then took it to ACE Hardware and they cut it and I programmed it. I downloaded TIS which has been amazing.

Great tip, thanks.

What did you get from TIS ?

I did a one day member ship and downloaded some manuals.

Just for general info:

new key for the GX cut and programmed at the dealer was ~$265

and if it's just the spare to open the vehicle in an emergency, you won't need the programmed fob, so can get just the key cut for ~$15, and the housing costs $65 at the dealer (but there is also an eBay outfit that cuts Lexus keys, and the housing is cheap on eBay, too

or get one of these housings: Yotamd key shell replacement

Thanks Claudia.

I just purchased a 2003 GX470 in the last couple weeks which only came with the master key. Following the recommendations of other mud members in the 120 section I bought keys off of EBay with remote fobs included from 1010Keys (only $48 for two keys! No programmer needed from 1010).

Following the instructions in the video for the 4th gen 4Runner posted by BurtonCR at the link below, I was able to add two new keys to the transponder. Watch the video once to get a feel for the process, and then watch the video again while performing each step as the video shows. It was really easy once I followed along with the video.

I also was able to program the new key remotes to the door locks following the instructions posted by HomersCanyonero in the same thread.

To make sure my master key did not lose it's remote programming, I did the button presses in steps 12&13 for each of the new keys and also the old key before exiting the programming mode.

Link:
New Keys - No Master? (Still confused...)

Last edited:
Here are the key fob remote programming steps that worked for me.

Be sure to watch for the door lock/unlock confirmation when doing the button presses in step 13 to make sure it CONFIRMS by unlocking/locking one time, and not telling you it FAILED by lock/unlock twice. If it fails, just do the button presses on that remote again. I had one remote fail on first try, but then confirmed on second try in the same programming sequence. After ending programming I tested all keys and now have three master keys and three functional remotes.

---------------------------------

From HomersCanyonero's post on programming the remotes:

Here's what worked for me to program the remote control potion of the key:

1. Get into GX470 and make sure all doors are closed and locked.

2. Insert registered master key into ignition to turn off blinking security indicator on dashboard.

3. Remove registered master key from ignition.

4. Unlock and open driver’s door and keep door open.

5. Within 5 seconds – Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch twice.

6. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice

7. Insert and remove the registered master key from the ignition switch

8. Within 40 seconds – Close and open driver’s door twice.

9. Insert the registered master key into the ignition switch and close the driver’s door

10. Switch ignition ON and OFF only ONCE to program a key remote transmitter code while retaining the key original codes.

11. Remove registered master key from ignition switch – System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to indicate success or twice to indicate failure. If it fails here, then go back to step 1.

12. Within 40 seconds – Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

13. Within 3 seconds – Press and release LOCK or UNLOCK button. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration, twice to indicate registration has failed. If it fails, then try step 12 again until step 13 verifies success.

14. Within 40 seconds– Repeat button procedure to program remaining key remote transmitters

15. NOTE: To exit programming mode you can open driver’s door or insert ignition key. Also, note that a maximum of 4 key remote transmitters can be programmed.

Thanks for posting these instructions.

I ordered an EBAY key from China for $26 and will see what happens.

Just a heads up, my 1010 Keys came from California. They are able to cut your keys for you from photos of your key that you submit. I sent over three photos after finalizing the purchase on eBay, and both of my new keys fit perfectly in the doors and glove box.

Ebay key arrived. Took about 2.5 weeks from order placement to delivery.

Quality looks good, but only time will tell.

Local locksmith cut and programmed it for $100.

$126 all in.

Gabe, what locksmith did you use?

I need to get a second key for the wife's 03'.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

@TexAZ check out the keys from 1010Keys on EBay. I paid $47 for two, cut, and shipped. Programming instructions above worked for my 2003.

@TexAZ check out the keys from 1010Keys on EBay. I paid $47 for two, cut, and shipped. Programming instructions above worked for my 2003.

Does this programming take care of door lock unlock as well as programing the so it starts the car ?

Yes! There are two programming phases, one programs the transponder to the ignition immobilizer and the other programming process is specifically for the remote functions.

I realized I forgot to add the link to the post in the 120 section for the key programming, so I edited my post above and added it. Take a look at the post dates mentioned above for the specific programming steps.

fwiw, when I needed a new master for the 100, I went to tempe toyota (blasphemy, I know) as they were silly cheap (like I'll be right over cheap) It was less than 40bucks for a new key to be cut and programmed, iirc. Real Toyota master, non button style. I can dig up the receipt if necessary. No waiting either, cut the key and a tech came out with an old school looking lap top ( real old school looking ) and I stood there while he knocked it immediately out, in the service row.

Folks,

How would a thrifty gentleman like myself get a second key made for a GX470 and not get robbed ?

My research seems to indicate that getting an OEM key from an online lexus parts dealer and then getting the key cut/programmed by a bonded locksmith, might be the best way to get quality key without emptying my wallet.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Look on how to do the Programing for the IMMOBILIZER CHIP and remote for the Key at the end of this post.👇

Search for 1010keys on eBay.

I paid around $40 for everything , KEY, remote/CHIP and had the key cut by them by sending a photo of the key. (Good quality key) for my 2005 GX470
I was able to program the key completely by my self, remote and immobilizer, no softwares, cables needed. The GX will do all the programming using it's own capabilities.
This may also work for newer GX models and some 4runner models.

If anyone is interested check out the video on YouTube, I'll post the link below.

Remote programing:

IMMOBILIZER CHIP programming:

good info, gents. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom