New Keys - No Master? (Still confused...) (1,350 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry, I just bought an '05 GX470 this weekend and found out it only has one key. It looks fairly generic so its most likely NOT the master.

I've been searching and keep getting mixed info. I get that the dealer can program a new master one for a varying degree of pricing, but...

1 - Do I even need a master or can I clone my current one somehow?

2 - Is there a DIY way to do it with Techstream? (have it on order)

3 - What is the cheapest way to do this with leaving the dealer out of it?

4 - I don't have FOBs, do I need a master to program an Ebay one?

Thanks!

Go ask a dealer or call a locksmith

when I had my keys done, they asked if it was a master, I didn't know, but it worked so I guess it was.
I would guess a master is important

Is your key powered? Or just the Valet key? (Rubber, no buttons)

If its powered (power lock/unlock) you should be fine...you can get eBay made keys (1010keys) if its not you will have to purchase the electronic parts and figure out how to program it with Techstream. (Can still get the eBay key.. but need to find the transponder elsewhere)

Is your key powered? Or just the Valet key? (Rubber, no buttons)

If its powered (power lock/unlock) you should be fine...you can get eBay made keys (1010keys) if its not you will have to purchase the electronic parts and figure out how to program it with Techstream. (Can still get the eBay key.. but need to find the transponder elsewhere)

It doesn't have buttons, but it is a black head and has the side strips. When I insert it the security light also turns off immediately which implies from some of the reading I've been doing that it is a FOB'less master. Dealer wants $300 for a new master out the door if it isn't one and he insisted that they NEVER made a FOB'less master. Sooo I'm in the middle of the "arrogant dealer vs what the internet says" coin flip.

I'm going to give 1010keys a shot, worse case I'll have one ready to program if I need to hit the dealership. I just bought the car so it will be a while before its transferred into my name to prove ownership so I might as well try it.

I'm going to give 1010keys a shot, worse case I'll have one ready to program if I need to hit the dealership. I just bought the car so it will be a while before its transferred into my name to prove ownership so I might as well try it.

Im not sure if 1010keys has the fob part, but their keys are top notch, which is impressive as they can cut them from a simple picture. I ended up going with the flip key as I felt it looked a bit more modern than the standard button key. (And easier to keep in my pocket)

Im not sure if 1010keys has the fob part, but their keys are top notch, which is impressive as they can cut them from a simple picture. I ended up going with the flip key as I felt it looked a bit more modern than the standard button key. (And easier to keep in my pocket)

I was JUST trying to figure that very thing out. I like the flip out style here, but it looks like you need your own "guts":
UPGRADE your 3 BUTTON REMOTE FOB KEYS to our "NEW" SWITCHBLADE FLIP KEY CASE | eBay

But then I saw this guy that has the remote included it looks like:

PRE-CUT EASY DIY PROGRAM 3 BUTTON FOB REMOTE KEY w/RED BUTTON Listed models 03-C | eBay

Oh just found this one, looks like you can get the switchblade with with a remote:

"PRE-CUT" 3 BUTTON SWITCHBLADE FOB REMOTE KEY (3 TYPES for MODELS w/4D CHIP)

How you you program the switchblade that includes the guts?? On his add it says DIY programming...

My understanding is (and I could very easily be wrong) that if my current key is in fact a Master, then I should be able to code it with the standard FSM procedure at best (where you insert X amount of times and activate the door locks X times, etc...) or at worse wait until my Techstream shows up which will open up more options hopefully.

Does your key unlock the glove box? If not, it's a valet key.

I believe all keys (master and valet) are chipped, so just buying a blank and having it cut won't do you any good unless you get the truck programmed to read the immobilizer chip.

I have used 1010keys and keysinthepost before with good results, but they just cut the blank.

BTW if you just buy the key blank with the empty fob case, it will not have the needed chip. You'll need to buy the whole shebang. The chip is in the fob guts.

Last edited:
One more post - You might look into whether a used chip (off eBay, using a new key blank) can be reprogrammed to a different vehicle. If possible, it could save you some bucks.

Does your key unlock the glove box? If not, it's a valet key.

I believe all keys (master and valet) are chipped, so just buying a blank and having it cut won't do you any good unless you get the truck programmed to read the immobilizer chip.

I have used 1010keys and keysinthepost before with good results, but they just cut the blank.

It opens the glove box, so its at least keyed like a master. It was my impression that IF it is a master, the chip in it lets you associate a new chip to the ECM as per the FSM procedure.

Nice to hear they are a reputable business!

BTW if you just buy the key blank with the empty fob case, it will not have the needed chip. You'll need to buy the whole shebang. The chip is in the fob guts.
That's what I was thinking so I ordered the full "buttons included" version.

This form the listing makes me think that I have what I need:

"Includes: 1 4D 2nd Generation Transponder Chip "

Good plan. Sounds like you have researched the heck out of this. Please keep this thread up to date with your progress. If you have any luck getting the key programmed with Techstream, I would be grateful if you let us know the steps you took.

Just FYI: If your dealer is one of the douchey ones, they may tell you that the keys you bought are made of a "different metal" and therefore they cannot be cut by them. Naturally they will suggest you purchase theirs. Still trying to figure out who to call the cut these damn things lol

Ahh I see that now. Very convenient. Well I guess my comment only applies to people like me, who seem to have come across some uncut/unprogrammed keys and want to make them work.

Good plan. Sounds like you have researched the heck out of this. Please keep this thread up to date with your progress. If you have any luck getting the key programmed with Techstream, I would be grateful if you let us know the steps you took.

I'll definitely post back after I test this out. I spent A LOT of time researching this all over the place and got all sorts of mixed information. Hopefully I can answer the normal misconceptions all in one spot.

Ahh I see that now. Very convenient. Well I guess my comment only applies to people like me, who seem to have come across some uncut/unprogrammed keys and want to make them work.

Ya that's why I wanted to get them "pre cut", for that very reason. I've heard 1010Keys does a great job on that end so then its just the programming piece I have to deal with. I'm a computer network engineer for my day job so the techy side doesn't seem too intimidating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom