GX470 Metallic Interior Trim Matching (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Apologies on any mistakes here - this is my first post. Wanted to share some info with folks on what I've learned while trying to paint match my GX470's metallic interior trim in the center dashboard and console area. My vehicle has the beige interior, so not sure if this applies to the black leather interior's too. I'm in the process of doing a nav to non-nav conversion with an android headunit, and the new bezel I received was flat black. I'm a perfectionist, so I decided to try my best to get a paint match.

Stuff that doesn't work (you can skip to the next paragraph if you just want the "what works info"). First I bought the Rust-oleum Oil Rubbed Bronze. This looked like a near perfect match, but ended up too dark and also the metallic specks were much bigger than the the OEM paint. I bought another can of Rust-oleum in "Satin Nickel" (because the pewter color was out of stock) and did a super light coat and the match was better, but still not great. After each spray, I also did a light wetland with 2500 grit sandpaper which improved smoothness dramatically and helped color slightly. Aside from the colors not being a good match, I don't think any of the Rustoleum "Universal Advanced Forumla" sprays would be a good match due to the metallic specks not matching size. Also, I really dislike the advanced formula spray handle. Also they cost more. These advanced formulas do have a combined primer, so it's possible that helped with adhesion (since I had zero issues there), but I'm betting any regular Rustoleum would have adhered just as well from the start.

What does work: Went back to the hardware store and this time picked up Rustoleum Metallic Finish "Dark Bronze" and "Metallic Matte Nickel". These are regular Rustoleum spray cans. The Dark Bronze was a very close match, but a bit too dark. The "metallic flake size" is a perfect match though! I then used the nickel spray to do an ultra light misting. Beware, the Metallic Nickel shows up way more than the Bronze if you overspray. After the light misting I checked it against the lower AC panel to see if the color matched and then ended up doing a few more light mists with the Nickel (checking color match after each mist). I'm going to let this dry for 24hrs then do a 2500 grit light wet-sanding and then apply a light satin clear coat.

Suggestions for future folks: There's another color called "Semi-Gloss Anodized Bronze" that looked slightly lighter than "Dark Bronze", but it didn't seem to have the metallic sheen to it. Might be worth trying if you want to experiment. heard some people in other forms recommend the "Metallic Black Night Sky", but that looked too dark to me and didn't have enough brown (see photos below). Rustoleum Metallic Finish "Dark Bronze" does work well as a main base. To get a perfect match you'll need a lighter metallic color to blend (by lightly misting). The Nickel metallic works, but it's a huge difference in color. I recommend not using Nickel and trying to find a color that's closer, but still lighter, than the bronze. Good luck!

Photo 1 - Fail using Oil Rubbed Bronze and Satin Nickel Combo.
IMG_3379.jpeg

Photo 2 - Line-up of potential color matches. Left to right: Black Night Sky, Dark Bronze, Anodized Bronze, Nickel.
IMG_3390.jpeg

Photo 3 - Original Trim for comparison.
IMG_3391.jpeg

Photo 4 - Success! Results after Dark Bronze and Nickel. Still need to let it dry for 24hrs then wetsand and apply clear coat.
IMG_3395.jpeg

Photo 5 - All the supplies that worked. Not shown - 2500 grit sandpaper.
IMG_3398.jpeg

That’s awesome. Thank you for being a perfectionist, and for posting this! Saving this for if I ever get around to the non nav conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom