GX460 P2714 P0761 Ultimate Summary and Hope For A Fix Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just being honest but if you have other transportation options, I'd park it until you can get a new radiator installed. There are way too many things that can go wrong if you have more problems with the radiator. It a relatively inexpensive part ($285 from Lexus, $120 for an aftermarket on Rock Auto) and it's not hard to replace other than messing with the coolant.
It gets driven for 2 hours a week right now. One to the airport, one from. The spare car AC is out. No bearable in lower Alabama in August. 😂
 
Last edited:
Morning test drive, thermostat pinned open: no reverse upon start up. 5 minute warm up. No reverse. Temp around 160. Rev engine to 6K, reverse kicks in. Intermittent checks for reverse: nothing before the interstate without high Texas. Test drive temps top out on temp 1 at 210, Temp 2 222. Lower temps on interstate, as expected, higher temps immediately off the interstate in traffic, as expected. In park temps settle below 210.

Trouble with 3-4 shift. Doesn’t want to go unless hard on the gas. Throwing 3 codes. New one is MAF. Plenty of TC lockup, good signal on reader.

This is way past a trans cooler in the radiator issue. I know the thermostat is shot. Not a filter restriction. Possibly all in the wiring harness.
 
Last edited:
Well I’ve got around 90 miles since dumping a bottle of AT 205 in the tranny and the codes have not come back. Drove the car cold yesterday and today and tranny is shifting way better. My delayed shift between 3-4 is gone. Prior to adding AT 205 I would always have to start on manual mode till tranny warmed up to not get a code. So far so good I’ll keep updating as I go.
 
Unfortunate update: My codes were being caused by head gasket failure. Coolant leaking into cylinders. 5600 is the quote to repair it and that doesn't include potential machining.

Looking at new motors vs repairing the headgaskets.

Current motor is at 206k miles.

It seems I can get something with significantly less mileage for 3k - 5k. Shops are saying around 3k for labor to do the swap.

Thoughts?
 
Unfortunate update: My codes were being caused by head gasket failure. Coolant leaking into cylinders. 5600 is the quote to repair it and that doesn't include potential machining.

Looking at new motors vs repairing the headgaskets.

Current motor is at 206k miles.

It seems I can get something with significantly less mileage for 3k - 5k. Shops are saying around 3k for labor to do the swap.

Thoughts?
Both head gaskets are blown?
 
There is coolant leaking into cyl 7, 4 and 8.
Since the engine has been overheated, I'd find a low-mileage used one. Otherwise there is a bit of question mark on damage to short block components (bearings etc.) caused due to the engine running hot. This should be way less labor for the shop as well, engine R&R is the same regardless, but it avoids having to tear the engine down to the shortblock.
 
Since the engine has been overheated, I'd find a low-mileage used one. Otherwise there is a bit of question mark on damage to short block components (bearings etc.) caused due to the engine running hot. This should be way less labor for the shop as well, engine R&R is the same regardless, but it avoids having to tear the engine down to the shortblock.

I guess I may need to start shopping for a place to just do the swap. car-parts.com is showing some decent options.

Not gonna lie: Really feels bad to be close to 20k into a 16 year old SUV lol
 
I guess I may need to start shopping for a place to just do the swap. car-parts.com is showing some decent options.

Not gonna lie: Really feels bad to be close to 20k into a 16 year old SUV lol
I passed $20K 3-4 years ago and mine is turning 20 next year :). Considering a GX550 is $75-90K even being $20K in on a 460 is still a good value. If you want something more economical, IMO a better bet is a 5th gen 4Runner (more reliable engine/trans and slightly better fuel economy) or an Outback (much cheaper to run and repair).

BUT to your point, I'd only put in a replacement engine if the rest of the vehicle (most importantly the transmission) is in good shape. And, I'd budget for a new radiator, hoses, plugs, gaskets, etc as the engine will be coming out anyway - easily $1K on top of the cost of the engine and R&R labor. Otherwise, best to cut your losses and find a different rig.
 
I guess I may need to start shopping for a place to just do the swap. car-parts.com is showing some decent options.

Not gonna lie: Really feels bad to be close to 20k into a 16 year old SUV lol

I wonder why your head gasket blew. I’ve seen a few comments that neglecting coolant swaps every 50k can lead to it as coolant becomes acidic. Same issue with the valley plate leak I guess.

Any reason why you think the head gasket failed?

I would lean towards swapping for a low miles engine and keeping it, provided you have been keeping up with all the maintenance and doing transmission fluid swaps on a regular schedule.

The reason I lean that way is you aren’t going to get much for a sale or trade in on a rig that needs an engine, what maybe $8k at best I have no idea.

And then if you add the maybe $8k you would be out of pocket if you did the engine swap, that gives you about $16k.

I can’t think of anything more worthwile you can get for $16k than keeping the rig you already know the history of with a new low miles engine.

And there ain’t no way in hell I would sell a gx460 for $8k and come out of pocket another $62k for a new GX550. As much as it sucks the economics of fixing the one you have, provided it’s well maintained and otherwise reliable, seems the winning proposition
 
I wonder why your head gasket blew. I’ve seen a few comments that neglecting coolant swaps every 50k can lead to it as coolant becomes acidic. Same issue with the valley plate leak I guess.

Any reason why you think the head gasket failed?

I would lean towards swapping for a low miles engine and keeping it, provided you have been keeping up with all the maintenance and doing transmission fluid swaps on a regular schedule.

The reason I lean that way is you aren’t going to get much for a sale or trade in on a rig that needs an engine, what maybe $8k at best I have no idea.

And then if you add the maybe $8k you would be out of pocket if you did the engine swap, that gives you about $16k.

I can’t think of anything more worthwile you can get for $16k than keeping the rig you already know the history of with a new low miles engine.

And there ain’t no way in hell I would sell a gx460 for $8k and come out of pocket another $62k for a new GX550. As much as it sucks the economics of fixing the one you have, provided it’s well maintained and otherwise reliable, seems the winning proposition

The previous owner let it overheat. I spoke to the shop that they took it to and the mechanic told me it wouldn't overheat again after replacing the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, etc.

That was just last year.
About a month ago, I noticed that it was starting to get hot so I immediately pulled over and shut it down, had it hauled to my house and found that it was low on coolant. I've been working that problem and hadn't been able to find the cause. Then it started to misfire. I've talked about that in this thread.

I've got the receipts / work orders for all the work that's been done on this ride. The lift, the bumpers, etc. I'd hate to get rid of it. It has a relatively new transmission, too. A new engine might be the best choice from that perspective. I paid 14k for it this year.
 
One overheat is enough to warp the head on an all-aluminum engine such that the head gasket will blow. It went through this recently with an Subaru my niece had overheated - one time was all it took; the engine was toast. That car lacked a coolant temp gauge, and the overheating light didn't turn on until something like 240F, which to me is insanely high).

In this case it appears there was a lag between the initial overheat and subsequent failure, which isn't surprising (it may have taken many more drive and heat cycles for the compromised gasket to actually fail). If the 1st overheat didn't warp it, the 2nd will. Overheating could be from under-filled coolant, a cracked radiator, bad radiator cap, or any number of other things. It's why it's so important to stay on top of cooling system maintenance on these rigs. They aren't like the older rigs with cast iron blocks that had a somewhat better chance of surviving an overheat with less damage (although, even the 2UZ-FE has aluminum heads that can also warp).
 
My biggest issue is: I don't have 5600 laying around lol.

One place quoted me 10k for a new motor + swap.

Another estimated about 3k in labor. I'd have to find my own motor, which is easy enough.
 
Another update on AT205. It’s been a month and 1600 miles. No issues everything normal with a month driving in D only. I just drained 3.5 quarts of original fluid out of the pan (I have 157,332 miles) and replaced with Idemitsu WS. On a morning cold start (not that cold right now) everything still working flawlessly.

Planning 3 more weekly drain and fills.

Would love some updates from those who have also added the AT205!
 
My biggest issue is: I don't have 5600 laying around lol.

One place quoted me 10k for a new motor + swap.

Another estimated about 3k in labor. I'd have to find my own motor, which is easy enough.
IMO, I've swapped through many used vehicles that ended up sitting in my driveway from severe mechanical failures. Ive lost a lot of value from selling broken vehicles that I've given up on (one being a 99 tacoma that overheated once, from a cracked radiator, then started misfiring). I think the GX460 is one that is worth fixing because it should be reliable for another 10 years minimum after a new engine and transmission.
I would probably look at a DIY fix. I know an engine replacement is not a first time DIY sort of project but if youre handy with tools, you could save a ton by DIY.
 
Another update on AT205. It’s been a month and 1600 miles. No issues everything normal with a month driving in D only. I just drained 3.5 quarts of original fluid out of the pan (I have 157,332 miles) and replaced with Idemitsu WS. On a morning cold start (not that cold right now) everything still working flawlessly.

Planning 3 more weekly drain and fills.

Would love some updates from those who have also added the AT205!
More curious for when its winter time to see how AT205 will do. Cooler weather amplifies the issue most owners have with their transmission.
 
Another update on AT205. It’s been a month and 1600 miles. No issues everything normal with a month driving in D only. I just drained 3.5 quarts of original fluid out of the pan (I have 157,332 miles) and replaced with Idemitsu WS. On a morning cold start (not that cold right now) everything still working flawlessly.

Planning 3 more weekly drain and fills.

Would love some updates from those who have also added the AT205!
I’ll report back in a week or so as I get some mileage on it.

I am a good candidate as there is nothing electrical or mechanically found when inspected.

So far that’s 2 on this forum that have found reprieve in using it! I agree that time and colder weather will be inportant.
 
Well I’ve got around 90 miles since dumping a bottle of AT 205 in the tranny and the codes have not come back. Drove the car cold yesterday and today and tranny is shifting way better. My delayed shift between 3-4 is gone. Prior to adding AT 205 I would always have to start on manual mode till tranny warmed up to not get a code. So far so good I’ll keep updating as I go.
@PinkyPeePaw - Keep us up to date as you and another have found this has resolved the issues.
 
Back
Top Bottom