GX460 Buying Advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My personal opinion is that Nori Green will be at the top, Atomic Silver at the second. Both really stand out in traffic and look awesome. But, it's also hard to tell how things will age over the next 5-10 years.

The more basic whites, silvers, blacks, etc look fine but are pretty common.

Aside from Nori green here is the exterior color wheel from ‘20-‘23

IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg

Looks like gomiami has either quit or been booted from MUD??

Looks like gomiami has either quit or been booted from MUD??
Online forums are managed by the weakest most power hungry people. I was banned from CL for pointing out how a Harbor Freight jack is fine for most people, they sure didn't like the idea that the average person doesn't need a $500 dollar jack.

I'm not sure if anyone addressed your questions or not, I didn't take the time to read every post. I bought my 2023 GX460 2 days before you started this thread, the purchase was the culmination of 3 years of struggle at the Toyota dealership and, in my opinion, less superior and more expensive models on the horizon. Now is the best time to get a GX460 if you want one. You can get a brand new unit cheaper than any point moving forward, you can get a brand new one cheaper than a used one in a lot of cases. I opted for a Premium Plus Trim level, as it's the best bang for your buck. I really wanted a Blackline for the 2nd row bench seat, 360* camera, and conservative styling, but trying to buy one used was almost as hard as trying to buy a 4 runner for less than what a middle class home costs.

1. Is there any negatives with the 2020 models?
  • Yes, they have more miles on them at this point and they do not have the nicer infotainment system. 2022+ for the new infotainment. The Mark Levenson upgrade is nice.

2. It looks like the "Luxury" trim level has the Adaptive Suspension. Our 2004 LX470 has Automatic Height Control (AHC), and while it rides great it requires some extra maintenance and has some frustrating failure points. What is the reputation of the GX460 Adaptive Suspension? Am I correct that the Premium trim does NOT have this?
  • I cant speak to the 2020, but the 2022 and 2023 has the air suspension only on the Luxury Trim. The hydraulically dampened suspension on all other trims rides better than anything I have ever owned and maintenance is zero. Future replacement cost will be way less than the air ride. I have also had bad luck with field mice and such chewing in the past, and air lines could fall victim, steel shocks will not.

3. I really like the 360 degree camera option (not sure what this is called on the GX models), but I can only see this on the Luxury trim models (I thought this was part of the off road package)? Is the 360 degree camera available on the Premium models or only Luxury models (with the Adaptive Suspension)?

• Again, for 2022-2023 the 360* camera only comes on the Blackline or Luxury trim. Luxury trim is a no no for me due to cost, and air ride. Blackline is more expensive than premium plus. The offroad package you're referring to is only on the luxury, it comes with crawl control and the camera system.

I say go for it. If you can afford it get a 2022+. See post #285 here:

Last edited:
Online forums are managed by the weakest most power hungry people. I was banned from CL for pointing out how a Harbor Freight jack is fine for most people, they sure didn't like the idea that the average person doesn't need a $500 dollar jack.
Careful Big Brother Woody is always watching... 👀

@Wildcat Walker ..just a sidenote

[US Market]
AVS/RAHC are on 10-13 Premium (only two trim levels during these years) and '14-'23 Luxury trim. It's proven to be pretty reliable. Differs from the 470 system in it lacks the air tank and something else I can recall at the moment.

EDIT: I think also.. "460 has a dryer assembly & height control filter while a 470 does not"

EDIT: '22 Blackline didn't have the cameras

Last edited:
@Wildcat Walker ..just a sidenote

[US Market]
AVS/RAHC are on 10-13 Premium (only two trim levels during these years) and '14-'23 Luxury trim. It's proven to be pretty reliable. Differs from the 470 system in it lacks the air tank and something else I can recall at the moment.

EDIT: I think also.. "460 has a dryer assembly & height control filter while a 470 does not"

EDIT: '22 Blackline didn't have the cameras
Still more complex for little benefit. Air, hydraulic, jello, they all use the same dampening equation, Zeta is Zeta, and it's either underdamped, critically damped, or overdamped.

I tow quite a bit so the auto leveling works well for my use case. I know not for everyone.

100% with you on the AHC and adding a great deal of competence to the towing prowess of the GX460. My GX470 had 15 years and 200k of Wisconsin weather and the AHC was giving me enough trouble that I finally just decided to swap out the bags for FJ springs and Firestone Coilrite bags. There was no comparison between the two setups when loaded heavy.

The GX460 and with AHC and KDSS really does an amazing job of towing. For reference when we camp I tow a short but very tall Hybrid camper, probably close to 5klbs loaded, maybe a bit more. Myself, wife, two kids, and two 80lb yellow labs, plus a big Thule cargo box loaded with oak fire wood. I added an external cooler just like I did on the GX470, and even with the SL Michelin Defenders (I had C-Rated K02's on the GX470) air up to max PSI, it is extremely composed in every weather condition I have encountered.

I tow quite a bit so the auto leveling works well for my use case. I know not for everyone.
Since I've removed the airbags in favor of lift springs I've been thinking about adding Firestone bags and plumbing them to the factory air compressor, just need the time and energy to figure out if it's worthwhile.

Since I've removed the airbags in favor of lift springs I've been thinking about adding Firestone bags and plumbing them to the factory air compressor, just need the time and energy to figure out if it's worthwhile.

I ended up putting Firestone Ride Rite bags on my Taco. Make sure you use the Daystar Cradles if you go off road at all which seeing how you are on here assume you do. Firestone recommends not using a T connection and run the air independently. With KDSS on the GX I think it may make up for the weaknesses of the single plumbing but if I ever did it again think I'd still keep them separate. I put the fill valves on either side of the rear license plate and use an inflator that I carry. Most people have standardized on battery tools of one type or another and if you stay with the brand that you have batteries for they are pretty inexpensive.

I only tow just over a ton and normally run 8 psi in the bags unless towing then take them to 20 psi.

49516233257_4c715efd95_b.jpg

During the summer I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays, especially Side by Side shoots in the Upper Midwest. Can carry a full squad if need to so weight varies in the buggy by a lot. Upgraded the Northstar to the Trail Boss a year and a half ago.

52444842003_250b2fa164_b.jpg

The Polaris Trail Boss has self leveling suspension in it. Big fan of self leveling at this point. Right now I plan on keeping the GX suspension as is in part because of it. With an on board compressor pretty sure Ride Rites will not be self leveling, could be with air sensing controls but you most likely have to T it. But either way bagging it will get rid of saggy pants, even if you have to fill both of them individually. And release air manually when you are done towing.

I have more recent 23 GX buying advice than a sane man should. If you are looking for sound advice, you should probably skip the rest of this post lol. I will abbreviate parts to keep it as short as possible.

Personal situation is getting (got) older (64) with health issues (back, neck, new recent serious stuff) and decided comfort and ease of ingress/egress needed to be priority one. Had a really nice 2021 Tacoma Sport Premium that I did light towing with occasionally. Bed was convenient but used infrequently, and something I was willing to forego to improve my everyday quality of life.

Where we live we get snow, and our driveway has a modest hill going up from the street. 4WD/AWD is a must. Our hillbilly genes tilt our vehice preference to BOF truck construction vs unibody.

Wife's ride was a 2021 4Runner Limited that was considerably more comfortable than my Tacoma. My original thought was to trade my truck and get another 4Runner Limited or maybe even a GX. Test drove the GX and instantly knew it was the right choice. Wife and I are both motorheads at heart and fell in love with the V8 instantly. The decision was made to get the GX to share with the 4Runner. I would have priority use of the GX based on health related needs. I worked a deal and we had the GX in our garage in two days.

After us both driving the GX for a few days we knew we made the right decision. It was the perfect choice for us. We loved everything about it, but mostly the V8. We are both motorheads, her even more than I. When I realized the joy it brought her the whole sharing plan went out the window. Oh well, I compromised and deferred to her choice of white/black when I wanted the silver/red. Now we would each have what we wanted lol.

So, I bought two new 2023 GXs in three days and don't regret it one bit. The only frustration is that due to the holidays I can't pick mine up until Tuesday. Money wise I sold some toys over the last few years and never bought anything with the proceeds. I took that toy money and added it the paid off cars we already had and bought the GXs. We are definitely not rich, but this had no effect on our financial situation.

It might seem excessive to some people, but they cost less than a decently optioned F-150. And fortunately, I don't care what other people think anyway lol. The dealer I bought them from discounted them to $61.5k from $68k. Considering what you get with the GX that's a relative value today.

And that my friends is how an old fart with a car buying problem justifies buying two new GXs in three days. I know, pics or it didn't happen. Here's a pic of the white one and I will add a pic of the silver one when I get it home.

image0.jpeg

I have more recent 23 GX buying advice than a sane man should. If you are looking for sound advice, you should probably skip the rest of this post lol. I will abbreviate parts to keep it as short as possible.

Personal situation is getting (got) older (64) with health issues (back, neck, new recent serious stuff) and decided comfort and ease of ingress/egress needed to be priority one. Had a really nice 2021 Tacoma Sport Premium that I did light towing with occasionally. Bed was convenient but used infrequently, and something I was willing to forego to improve my everyday quality of life.

Where we live we get snow, and our driveway has a modest hill going up from the street. 4WD/AWD is a must. Our hillbilly genes tilt our vehice preference to BOF truck construction vs unibody.

Wife's ride was a 2021 4Runner Limited that was considerably more comfortable than my Tacoma. My original thought was to trade my truck and get another 4Runner Limited or maybe even a GX. Test drove the GX and instantly knew it was the right choice. Wife and I are both motorheads at heart and fell in love with the V8 instantly. The decision was made to get the GX to share with the 4Runner. I would have priority use of the GX based on health related needs. I worked a deal and we had the GX in our garage in two days.

After us both driving the GX for a few days we knew we made the right decision. It was the perfect choice for us. We loved everything about it, but mostly the V8. We are both motorheads, her even more than I. When I realized the joy it brought her the whole sharing plan went out the window. Oh well, I compromised and deferred to her choice of white/black when I wanted the silver/red. Now we would each have what we wanted lol.

So, I bought two new 2023 GXs in three days and don't regret it one bit. The only frustration is that due to the holidays I can't pick mine up until Tuesday. Money wise I sold some toys over the last few years and never bought anything with the proceeds. I took that toy money and added it the paid off cars we already had and bought the GXs. We are definitely not rich, but this had no effect on our financial situation.

It might seem excessive to some people, but they cost less than a decently optioned F-150. And fortunately, I don't care what other people think anyway lol. The dealer I bought them from discounted them to $61.5k from $68k. Considering what you get with the GX that's a relative value today.

And that my friends is how an old fart with a car buying problem justifies buying two new GXs in three days. I know, pics or it didn't happen. Here's a pic of the white one and I will add a pic of the silver one when I get it home.

View attachment 3516593
Awesome story. Seems perfectly sane to me.......:woot::woot:

Reactions: r2m

View attachment 3516593

Makes total sense to me, all of it. I am a year older than you, did I say it makes total sense to me yet?

Yes to the V8 as well. Went down to town a month ago to test drive a T4R that was a year old, even though I am #2 on the list for the new Land Cruiser when they come out. My first 4x4 was a FJ55 Iron Pig in 79. The 4R didn't impress me over my Baja Taco and the salesman talked me into taking a 19 GX460 for a test drive. He really had to talk me into it but he managed to. Knew I was in trouble soon after leaving the parking lot. And that V8...

I still bird hunt busting brush and fields as much as my body lets me anyhow and run the dogs the rest of the year. Put the Taco up for sale last week and had a guy our age come look at it and his wife immediately said it was too scratched up. I didn't try to hide it and even mentioned in the FB marketplace listing that it had lots of Mother Natures pinstriping. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods going down some pretty rough places and after 10 years it shows. If it doesn't sell by the first I'm going to pull the add and keep it.

I'm working on getting the GX ready to take its place no matter what I decide to do. First thing most of my friends have said when they find out that I got a Lexus is are you going to take that thing in the woods hunting in Canada and the North Shore?! Ya sure, you betcha!

Getting 2 new ones in your case is a smart move IMO. I retired from the Navy 28 years ago and will punch out from CivLant work before too long. The thought of getting a "final" vehicle right before I retire for good and last me the rest of my life has crossed my mind more than once.

I think your a pretty smart guy.

Makes total sense to me, all of it. I am a year older than you, did I say it makes total sense to me yet?

Yes to the V8 as well. Went down to town a month ago to test drive a T4R that was a year old, even though I am #2 on the list for the new Land Cruiser when they come out. My first 4x4 was a FJ55 Iron Pig in 79. The 4R didn't impress me over my Baja Taco and the salesman talked me into taking a 19 GX460 for a test drive. He really had to talk me into it but he managed to. Knew I was in trouble soon after leaving the parking lot. And that V8...

I still bird hunt busting brush and fields as much as my body lets me anyhow and run the dogs the rest of the year. Put the Taco up for sale last week and had a guy our age come look at it and his wife immediately said it was too scratched up. I didn't try to hide it and even mentioned in the FB marketplace listing that it had lots of Mother Natures pinstriping. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods going down some pretty rough places and after 10 years it shows. If it doesn't sell by the first I'm going to pull the add and keep it.

I'm working on getting the GX ready to take its place no matter what I decide to do. First thing most of my friends have said when they find out that I got a Lexus is are you going to take that thing in the woods hunting in Canada and the North Shore?! Ya sure, you betcha!

Getting 2 new ones in your case is a smart move IMO. I retired from the Navy 28 years ago and will punch out from CivLant work before too long. The thought of getting a "final" vehicle right before I retire for good and last me the rest of my life has crossed my mind more than once.

I think your a pretty smart guy.
Thank you, sir, and thank you for your service.

I work as a contractor at WPAFB. Never in the military myself, but respect the hell out of all who have served.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom