GX460 Buying Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a 2020 GX460, and had some questions and hoping to get some opinions on those that have experience.

Background - I have been driving a 2000 Landcruiser for the last 22 years - it has been great, but showing its age and I'm ready for something newer. My wife has been driving a 2004 LX470 for the last 12+ years, again we have been happy, but it's time. Our kids are grown, we don't need something as big as the LC/LX, and we don't really do any serious off-roading - this would be a daily driver. The GX seems to fit our needs.

1. Is there any negatives with the 2020 models?

2. It looks like the "Luxury" trim level has the Adaptive Suspension. Our 2004 LX470 has Automatic Height Control (AHC), and while it rides great it requires some extra maintenance and has some frustrating failure points. What is the reputation of the GX460 Adaptive Suspension? Am I correct that the Premium trim does NOT have this?

3. I really like the 360 degree camera option (not sure what this is called on the GX models), but I can only see this on the Luxury trim models (I thought this was part of the off road package)? Is the 360 degree camera available on the Premium models or only Luxury models (with the Adaptive Suspension)?

Any other buying advise or things/options I should consider or look for?

THANKS

Lee

We too have two 100 series LC's, both were 1998's with the factory rear lockers. Much like yourself they ran great and strong but were getting pretty ratty looking visually, both interior and exterior.
Take a look here for all trim levels and options available: GX 460 Manuals
There will be manuals, brochures for every model, except maybe 2023. Start at post #13.
As far as I know there are really no significant difference between 2010 and 2013 as far as reliability. The newer ones get the Apple/Android play and different center console arrangement. But the running train is all the same. There are some minor issues that come up on some GX's like the coolant valley leak but that's not chronic nor is it every vehicle, in fact probably very few.
There will be a few folks that can chime in with some other things that on occasion show up on GX's but in over 5 years and 70k miles, my wife and are still in love with ours! We love our GX so much more over either of the Landcruisers. We'd never go back. I know the GX isn't the most up to date that some other manufacturers have, but with the three climates zones, stereo, seat heaters/coolers, etc., so much better than the 100 series LC's.

Good luck on your search! :cheers:

You have seen that there is a new Land Cruiser and GX550 on the horizon, right? I'm not sure how much you'll save from depreciation on a 3 year old GX, but I'd be pretty inclined to wait for the new platrom rather than jumping on the last coupler years of a 13 year old platform?

You have seen that there is a new Land Cruiser and GX550 on the horizon, right? I'm not sure how much you'll save from depreciation on a 3 year old GX, but I'd be pretty inclined to wait for the new platrom rather than jumping on the last coupler years of a 13 year old platform?
Unless of course you want a V8! 😝

The new Land Cruiser is a hybrid and will get around 24mpg. The GX will get the hybrid system the following year (2025?).

Thanks for all the replies. I do agree that waiting on the new options is worth considering, but I really think I will be moving towards a GX in the very near future.

@r2m , Wow, thanks for link to the manuals thread, lots of info!

Does anyone have any comments or advice on:
1. the GX adaptive suspension (good/bad)?
2. the 360 camera option (is this only in the "Luxury"? I looked through the link provided by r2m, but its still a mystery to me...).

Thanks

Lee

Thanks for all the replies. I do agree that waiting on the new options is worth considering, but I really think I will be moving towards a GX in the very near future.

@r2m , Wow, thanks for link to the manuals thread, lots of info!

Does anyone have any comments or advice on:
1. the GX adaptive suspension (good/bad)?
2. the 360 camera option (is this only in the "Luxury"? I looked through the link provided by r2m, but its still a mystery to me...).

Thanks

Lee
I replaced my variable suspension at 160 and it had never had any issues. Airbags were cracked though.

I think the bigger reason to go with the higher end trims is the rear AC unit and real leather. The nulux (pleather) lower trim falls apart in 5 to 10 years. You can’t add the rear AC unit later, and even if you don’t have kids, it’s a must if you have dogs.

I'd personally spring for a 2022 or 2023 with the revised interior/infotainment that includes Android Auto/CarPlay. Then I'd happily drive the rig for the next 20 years. The 2022/23 models, particularly in the right colors, will be highly desirable in a few years and a modern classic not too long after that. The pre-22 infotainment is basically a system from the aughts (the 460 went on sale in late 2009) and looks and feels like it. Windows XP style infotainment may have been OK in 2013 but is just way to outdated in late 2023.

The new Land Cruiser is a hybrid and will get around 24mpg. The GX will get the hybrid system the following year (2025?).
No way your average GX550 or LC will get even close to that mileage. Ratings aren't real world data.

You will save a LOT of money on a 3-4 year old GX vs. new. They don't incur the "Toyota Tax" that a 4Runner or Taco brings used.

I am #2 on the list for the new LC at the dealer in town, got on it in August. Do have some concerns over the new power platform despite it being Toyota. Personally know of 2 people that recently upgraded their 4Runners for the same reason. My first 4x4 was a 77 FJ55 I bought in 79. Figure my last one should be a LC as well, as long as it is white like my first one was ;)

Couple of weeks ago the ventilation blower on my 13 Baja Taco went out. That $28 resister cost me a lot of money... Went to the dealer to test drive a 22 4Runner Pro and it just didn't do it for me. Same power as my Taco and didn't feel the creature comforts were that much improved over what I currently have. The cost was almost the same as a new 23.

The salesman talked me into taking a 19 GX460 LX for a drive with 40K on it. I knew within a few minutes that I was in trouble. It is sitting in my driveway right now. This morning found the original window sticker for it in the manual book. $70,049 it was optioned out. I paid $40K for it. Someone else paid $30K for the deprecation on it. I saved that $30K plus the tax I would have had to pay which is another $2.4K here. Taco is still in my driveway as well, it is 10 years old with 90K on it and if I sell it can get 2/3 of what I paid for it new. It has the Toyota Tax. Most likely will sell it as it feels like I'm leaving money on the table.

Still on the list for the new LC, the 1958 is supposed to start ~$55K, and go up from there. After having a GX for a few days not sure I want a stripped down rig like the new LC will be. The GX550 will start at a lot higher price and by the time you get up to the GX550 Overland I can't even begin to imagine what they will go for. Smart money to me is give it another 4-5 years and see how the new LC and GX550 turn out. And if I want a GX550 at that point let someone else eat the depreciation.

Other than the GX I just bought the only other used vehicle I had ever purchased was the FJ55 in 1979. Pretty sure my next vehicle will be a used GX550 in 4 or 5 years. That is if I'm not farting dust by then.

You will save a LOT of money on a 3-4 year old GX vs. new. They don't incur the "Toyota Tax" that a 4Runner or Taco brings used.
Waiting is the best thing anyone can do right now for a new/used rig, especially a Toyota. The market is softening but Toyota production is still lagging (although recovering).

In helping a buddy look for a 460, there are quire a few in the 2010-2017 year range for around $30K in my area, which is a smoking deal for such a nice/capable/sorted vehicle. If money was not an object to me I'd spring for the 2022-2023. Otherwise, keep driving the rig you have now and wait a few years for the deprecation to hit.

The big question mark is just how much of a exclusivity/rarity tax they'll be on the 2022-2023 GXs, particularly in colors like Nori Green or Atomic Silver, which look amazing and not like much else on the road. Toyota obviously knew this was the "end of an era" and gave us something awesome for the last couple of years - kind of like they did with the IS 500.

I’m not sure waiting will help with this generation. It feels like a similar generation to the 1980s vehicles when government standards sucked all the horsepower out in favor of fuel efficiency. It took the engineers 15 years to build the power back in at the same fuel standards. When was the last time you guys heard anybody say I want a 198X anything?

I think I’d rather wait until there’s enough chargers that full electric makes sense. It just doesn’t right now. Also, the batteries only last 15 to 20 years and you can’t replace them easily or cost efficiently. If they made a full electric LC with batteries that lasted 30 years and you could carry an extra battery (rotopax lithium?) i’d probably buy one. Until then, I’ll probably keep my V-8 and keep paying for fuel but not much to the mechanic.

3rd zone on the 460 has a heater core and AC evaporator in the rear

2020+ in US market when it comes to
Panoramic View Monitor with Multi-Terrain Monitor

2020-2023 Luxury w/off-road package
2020-2023 Luxury as a standalone option

2023 - Black Line Edition

As for leather only on Luxury trim 20-23

In Canada you could get Nori Green on any trim. Wonder how many were sold there?

I've had my '12 for about 7 years now... no intention to get rid of for the foreseeable future.. just turned 83k miles

Last edited:
IMO: Not a big deal because someone could wire this in with a previous year mirror.... if it mattered ....but '21+ lost the anti-glare passenger side mirror

If not sure what I mean.. the side mirrors auto-dim with headlights as well

I need to update this ... it fell off the radar with all of my projects to ensure '22 and '23 are fully covered as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom