Greetings from So Tx. New member with a FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 76 FJ40 was purchased from Costa Rica about 5 years ago by my boss. After taking delivery it sat at his ranch for about 3 years with little activity. Shortly thereafter the 40 began to have issues, mainly it wouldn't hold idle. A few parts were subsequently replaced and the 3B Diesel has been super reliable, since. He replaced a few parts including a new steering wheel and tires. A complete [drum] brake job was done and the instrument cluster was replaced. About 2 years ago he brought it to his house but he would rarely drive it so he decided to put it up for sale. He never really got any serious buyers so the 40 just sat there for 2 years starving for attention.

He approached me a few weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in purchasing the 40. He told me would sell to me for 19.5K and I told him I would think about it. The topic came up again last week and I made him a counter offer below 14K., and he accepted. I think I got a good deal and I'm very happy with the acquisition.

Here's a few pics.

The 40 didn't come with seatbelts and locking hubs (6-spline). Seatbelts have been ordered and I'm currently hunting for hubs.

I'm looking forward to interact and learn from you guyz but please be patient and Please accept my apologies for all the forthcoming dumb questions that I'll be posting..

-Soberacho

Welcome!! Might want to put a rubber grommet where the wire harness comes through the firewall to the engine bay. Vibration will otherwise chafe the insulation on the wires and cause short circuiting.

I got home early today from work and took advantage of the extra free time to work on the 40. I pulled off the one piece mat and found a few things I was not expecting. here is good amount of surface rust on the driver side floor board and the tranny cover was hacked pretty bad to accommodate the 4-speed tranny. The paint on the cover is pristine so I'll leave it exposed and only use driver/pass mats. Pass side floorboard was in great shape, although not sure why the heater tubing was routed on top of the floor.

I'm hoping the shifter boot (on it's way) will be large enough to cover the opening. If not I'll improvise and make a cover out of black kydex and bolt the boot on top of it. The glove box had signs of surface rust but it cleaned up well.

Here's a few pics taken earlier..

Too bad about the earlier firewall and front axle.

The glove box door should have a cable holding it level when it s open

Today I learned that I am color blind. I thought my FJ40 was Beige. It came without sun visors so I ordered a new set in beige. Boy, I was way off...

Check this out...

Is my FJ40 painted in Toyota Lunar Green??

It’s not a 76 tub either.

Costa Rica and a lot of SA got early tub/driveline features a lot later. I have a customer with a 77 that we are converting to booster and dual circuit at some point.

Today I learned that I am color blind. I thought my FJ40 was Beige. It came without sun visors so I ordered a new set in beige. Boy, I was way off...

Check this out...

Is my FJ40 painted in Toyota Lunar Green??

You don't have an FJ40. You have a BJ40.

Nice 40! I am an American living in South America-just picked up an FJ40 as well! Look like you scored a nice rig. This forum is a great asset as you build out your Yota! I'm restoring my FJ and plan to explore South America before shipping it back stateside. Enjoy!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom