Green FJ55 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two year update, lol. Finally finished the body support rust repair and sprayed with 3M undercoating. Working on painting the roof while the body is on the rotisserie. Hoping to get this on the road before winter, we'll see. Going to prime and paint after getting down to the factory paint/primer with some spots of bare metal. Not sure how well that will work but would prefer not to take it all the way down to bare metal.

bottom.jpg
roof1.jpg
roof2.jpg

Your bottom side repairs look great. Doing some of the same on mine while still on frame. Your way looks so much easier.

Here are some pics of the roof painting process. First time doing this so there's a lot of room for improvement but it turned out okay. Used OMNI epoxy primer, high build primer and single-stage urethane

Before epoxy primer:
roof-prep.jpg

After a couple coats of epoxy primer:
roof-epoxy.jpg

After a couple coats of high build primer:
roof-highbuild1.jpg

Last edited:
After sanding the high build primer. You can see some orange peel and the downside of not going down to bare metal:
roof-highbuild2.jpg

After some more high build primer:
roof-highbuild3.jpg

Finished roof, still need to wet sand. Had some sags/runs after the first two coats. Waited a day then sanded the roof with 400 grit and sprayed a few more coats this evening. Other than a nat that stuck itself in the middle of the roof, it looks ok.
roof-finished.jpg

The spot circled has the seam sealer going across the opening while the spots with the arrow do not. I don't remember if the spots used to have the seam sealer and I wiped it out with the wire wheel. Any chance someone could look at those spots and let me know if those openings should have seam sealer going across the front? I would think they need to be completely open for water to drain but not sure why the one spot has it, the line of sealer goes back a little bit so the wire wheel could not remove.

cowl.jpg

Last edited:
I would want the openings open and the rest of it sealed .hth.

This build is looking awesome! We are getting our pig up to speed and live in the Bend area as well. Looking forward to seeing your rig on the road!

Yes, but not for a 78, I think it was a factory color in 69.

I take that back, it looks like the Silver/Gray and Olympus White combo was an OEM color in 69. I've seen people mention on here that the Cygnus White is not really white but I'd never seen the color in person. It's more of a cream/almond color, darker than I was expecting, but we are going to keep moving forward with Cygnus, hoping it looks okay. Here is a pic, with the body finally back on the frame, but the lighting is not great. We'll fix the over spray on the front clip and what looks like over spray on the frame/axle is just dust.

fj55-onframe.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom