Green FJ55 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this rate we'll never be done but we are making some progress. Have an order
from Bobm on the way that should keep us busy.

pigonside.jpg

Yeah, you've got a little work ahead. Having it on the rack is the only way to go, makes welding easier, too.

Keep it going!

We finally painted the frame and got the OME kit installed. Here's before and after pics of the rear frame. Nice to get some things put back together, the bodywork is slow going.

rear_frame_old.jpg

rear_frame_new.jpg

Always feels and looks so much nicer, when you get a coat of paint on it. How's the body going?

looking sexy. congrats on the work done!

Which OME kit did you go with? Looks like the rear hanger was moved back?

We bought the OME stock light duty kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and yes, the rear hangers are moved back.

Ron, I've cutout the bad metal on the front passenger side but was stuck on what to do with a rusted out inner support piece so I took a break from that and moved on to the frame.

We bought the OME stock light duty kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and yes, the rear hangers are moved back.
FYI, you might need to cut and turn your front knuckles if you have not already done so.
I had -.5° of caster after installing the same kit.

Ron, I've cutout the bad metal on the front passenger side but was stuck on what to do with a rusted out inner support piece so I took a break from that and moved on to the frame.

That is the kit for a 70 series, eh?

FYI, you might need to cut and turn your front knuckles if you have not already done so.
I had -.5° of caster after installing the same kit.

Ruh-roh Raggy! That is not fun.

No mods required for the front hangers?

Ruh-roh is right, really hoping we don't have to do the cut and turn. Kurt has a 55 series kit on their website and the front hangers stayed in the original location.

Obviously I can’t speak for every kit Kurt has sold for every 55 but I believe I bought the same kit as you and my kit had 1 - OME Greasable Front Shackle Kit and those shackles are longer than stock 55 shackles and combine that with the arc of the new springs the + 1° of caster my 55 started with turned into -.5° after I installed my kit. Kurt and Bryce have been fantastic to work with and every experience with them has been positive and I’m in no way saying that the kit they sold me was anything other than advertised.

I only mentioned it because I chased my tail for three months changing parts trying to get my 55 to steer like something other than a hay wagon only to find I need to start over and maybe my story can save you some time.

J Mack,

I definitely appreciate the heads up and I'm not at all unhappy with the purchase from Kurt. I know nothing about caster angle so your tip gives us somewhere to look if we have steering problems. Thanks!

caster shims. no kits come with them, but almost always are needed when going with a larger spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom