Green FJ55 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hahaha great Mel now I can't change the color! I'm going to want to, though, because my fenders are pretty rusty and my replacements are red. As of now, the plans are pretty basic; We're going to keep everything pretty much stock, get all of the body rust taken care of, I'm not sure if we are going to rebuild the engine or not but we are keeping the 2f, maybe take the shackle lift off of the parts pig? We'll have to do something with the steering to I think, driving it home it would catch on to every groove in the highway and you would have to correct it...also the frame is pretty rusty on the green one. We're either going to use the frame from the parts pig or replace the rusty pieces on the green one, idk what we are going to do. I'll post some pics.

mel lowe said:
Man, you have a cool fawkin dad! Enjoy every minute of the build and the time with spent with your dad.

I love the the green and would try to keep it that color. I seriously doubt there are too many other green pigs that came from Weed.

Maybe not green Piggies, but our school colors ARE green and white, so it's only right it keeps the history of it's origin :)

Update

Hello, Ian's dad here. Here are some pictures of our progress so far. Running into a lot of rust on the bottom half of the pig. So glad we have the parts rig because we'll probably end up using the frame and front clip. Ian has a salvage title for the 77 parts rig and a clean title on the 78. If we use the frame and front clip from the 77 and everything else from the 78, what are we left with as far as title? We might just put the rear cross member from the 77 frame into the 78 to avoid any problems with getting a clean title.

6841473702_c47eeac00a.jpg

6841473758_7254604c8f.jpg

6841473912_71cb78d418.jpg

78 rear cross member
6841473802_1564edddb7.jpg

77 rear cross member
6841473966_d86c856362.jpg

Some pics of the wheels, ended up with 9 but not sure the rusty wheel is salvageable.

6988711461_2d3a610a9d.jpg

6988711419_7f77bfd305.jpg

Spare that was under the green pig:
6842588152_0ee52ee33a.jpg

Not sure if these will help but this is all I have from the driver's side.
eng2.jpg
eng1.jpg

:lol: Here I am drinking homebrew and surfing the 55 section for ideas, and low and behold I find a pic of my 62.

I really like how that paint job turned out, I've always thought that two-tone line hints at the 55 and looks much better than the typical lines that people use for their bedliner rust covering job on 60s.

If you're still interested in going that route....
It wasn't a pro job by any means, the truck has lots of fiberglassed over rust underneath the bedliner. I believe the paint was Rustoleum Satin Dark Olive and the liner is Duplicolor stuff I got for cheap as distressed cans at a surplus place. I first brushed liner on for coverage, then used an schutz/undercoating gun to spatter on some texture. Rust is starting to bleed through again after 2.5 years... I really should give it all another coat, but the truck will likely parted to feed a clean 62 and a '69 FJ55 soon anyway. Time to wheel the pee out of it before the body is scrapped. :D

Good luck with the project. :cheers:

.....snip....
I'm thinking about a rattle can paint job after all the parts are on, I've got more time than money. I really like the rattle can job someone did on their fj60 on here :

Last edited:
Update

We have finally started working on the cruiser after a move and remodel. Here are a couple of pics and I'm sure we'll be bugging you all with a lot of questions over the next few months. :) The original plan was to have this project done by the end of October but that's going to tough to meet at this point.

body.jpg

bodyandframe.jpg

KT,

Good to have you back. I have to reread everything, but are the plans staying the same, as far as motor, axles, etc.

Thanks, the plan right now is to keep everything stock. We are going to get everything cleaned up and try to repair all the rust. Bobm will be getting an order from us in the near future. Engine was running okay so we'll just replace all the seals/gaskets and possibly send the carb out for a rebuild. The only thing done at this point are the wheels/tires, which we had blasted and powder coated.

wheel.jpg

I'm hoping to get some opinions on what to do with this rear section of the frame. I'm worried about the areas where the inner part is separated from the frame. We will be taking the frame in to get sandblasted. Would you take the time to remove all of those rivets to get that section out and cleaned up? Thanks.

rearframe.jpg

Hmm, I'd only take the rivets out if I was certain I had a way to replace them. That said, looks like that Pig has led a rugged life. You had a lot of rust to start with, but you're there and a better judge than me looking at the pic. Yeah, they look worrisome, but if the frame is basically solid, not sure I'd want to start with those rivets, either.

It looks like the upper piece is just bent up, not rusted and flaking away. If just bent, maybe leave it alone and treat for rust.

Hard to tell from here.

The metal is pretty solid. Here is how it looks after a pressure wash and spray down with phosphoric acid. Local powder coating shop quoted $75 - $100 to blast the frame so we'll do that and see how everything looks. Ron, what did you use to paint your frame? Your build looks great, we're going to attempt to copy some of the stuff you've done. Thanks.

rearframe2.jpg

KTWilson,

I used Chassis Saver by Magnet paints. It's a good hard paint, that I brushed on and it dries smooth. If I could redo, I'd use a good reg. type paint. Tractor paint, etc. I've done some adding and changing on my frame and the reg. paint would be easier to touch up. Chassis Saver is harder to prep to paint as I had piece peel off itself, that wasn't sanded good enough.

This is just my opinion on the paint. It would be nice after a year or so of abuse, to just touch up the frame with a rattle can or brush and be done.

Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom