grab bar install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Koffer,

That was a great job! It is a very detail job even :banana: wanna be mech can do this job. I love those pictures, very precise. Good Job!

Koffer said:
As for the air bag going :popcorn: :eek: it shouldnt but disconnecting the battery will keep it from if something goes way wrong like have Junk help :flipoff2:

I believe the airbag circuit has a capacitor, so disconnecting the battery will not disable them unless you give the capacitor ample time to discharge.

Yahoo!!! Finally got my grab bar, did the install tonight. That air duct is definitely the toughest part, getting it out that is. I dented the heck out of it on the ECU on the way down, but it bounced back just fine once out.
airduct_dented.jpg
airduct_fixed.jpg

What made it easier to put back in was taking out the vent. There are two clips on each side of the vent, that you have to mash down to get it to pull out, takes a minute but is worth it, much easier to install the air duct with the vent out of the way, and with the amp & speaker out of the way it's easy to reach up and support the back of the air duct when reinstalling the vent.
airvent_top.jpg
airvent_bottom.jpg

Final pic of everything buttoned back up, install was a complete success! I used a screwdriver to mash part of the duct out of the way to get the nut on the post on the left. Also there is a rubber end cap on the screw at the bottom of the dash piece that Koffer mentions above that he removed to get a little more "wiggle room," be sure to put that back on since it pokes right into the wires going to the ECU.

Thanks again Koffer for taking the initial leap of faith and posting up such good directions, total time for me was about 2.5 hours but I was taking pictures, plus any time I take something off I have to stop everything and go wipe it clean.. and thanks again to you, Mot! :cheers:
grabhandle_installed.jpg

tim,

To have to cut out holes in the dash like in your pic would be more than a little unnerving, I think. :eek:

Nontheless, it looks like a super clean install job!

Thanks for posting and thanks for thanking me! ;)

Yours,

Mot

Great Thread and clear step by step instructions. Just added to the Modifications section of the FAQ

Hey Skillet
I do not have photos but the install is real easy. the outboard side of the bar mounts real close to the vent. You can see the mounting spot behind the dash if you remove the glove box. I removed the glove box completely as it was only 2 extra screws. The inboard side is harder due to limiteed access. It attaches where the dash board is flaring out twards the radio. I laid upside down in the foot well and could see the mounting spot for the inboard side of the bar.

I had my wife start the inboard nut becouse her hands are alot smaller than mine. I still have cutts on my hand from trying for a half hour to start the nut myself. At 0330 I finaly woke up my wife to help, She did the job while only half concious:D .

On thing I think I noticed was that on my 94 there was no metal backing up the mounting spots. It appeared to be just plastic. With that said it is very solidly mounted and I do not see any problems.

Here are some install shots for the 93/94 to help you get measurements if you are shy about punching holes in the dash :)
grabbar.jpg

grabbar1.jpg

grabbar2.jpg

grabbar3.jpg

P.S. The left most hole was almost too far towards the passengerside, so the top right of the hole almost showed after the bar was installed.... so aim for the center measurements

Last edited:
I just finally installed the bar today as it's getting warmer out side these days. I had a couple of suggestions tha made it so the ac duct practically fell out with very little trouble.

Ammended to the original Koffer instructions:

3a) remove glove box light switch by uplugging wire and pushing out towards the passender seat.

4a) remove ECM by unplugging 3 connectors along the bottom and 3 mounting screws, 2 along the bottom and 1 at an angle in the upper left corner.

Looking at Nakman's pics, all that damage to the duct was getting it around the ECM. Without that in the way the duct come right out.

Looking at Nakman's pics, all that damage to the duct was getting it around the ECM. Without that in the way the duct come right out.

Agreed, ECM was the only obstacle.. but for some reason I get kind of spooked disconnecting so much electrical stuff. Removing the air vent is an alternative that was a little safer, IMO. Glad to hear I could have gone the other way though, will likely use that when I help some others install theirs...

glad you finally got it in, Rick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom