Builds Golden Boy / was 'an as-yet unnamed gulf spec diesel 1991 HZJ pickup' (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The center bore of that wheel appears to have been cut open in the field. Perhaps to clear a large hub bore. I'd run from it.

He’s right. These steelies should have more material around each lug hole. Also... can’t you find some 6.5” wides like mine?

Why not just do a spare tire from 4runner/fjc ?

He’ll be able to find nearly the equivalent there for much cheaper... and he should be able to find 0km takeoffs.

Thank you for that info, Juan! My photos may not have been all that clear. It had two bench seats along the driver and passenger sides, folded up. Not sure if that is the jump seat configuration or not. I did ask Maamoura to let the owner know that if he ever wanted to part with it, I'd be interested in talking to him. This one was a real beauty up close...

Hello,

Yes, that type of rear seat is referred to as jump seat. Very rare on 73 Series trucks.

If you end up buying it, try sourcing an FRP top and a windshield. In that way you can use it as either a soft top or a hard top.

Juan

The stock alloys on my Prado are 16x6 and they fit 235/85R16 tires great (approx 31.5x9). Not sure how they’d do with 255/85’s.
You know, AHN, I think those could look very good on the pickup... Had not considered. Thank you.

He’s right. These steelies should have more material around each lug hole. Also... can’t you find some 6.5” wides like mine?
Holy crap, CD and Juan, why didn't i notice that! Goes without saying I won't be buying those... And I'm going to have words with the seller.

Well I found just what I was looking for. New Toyota 16 inch rims. And they just happened to have new Dunlop 225 95 R 16C tires mounted on them.
IMG-20200208-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20200208-WA0018.jpeg

IMG-20200208-WA0034.jpeg

Screenshot_20200208-144528.png

550 AED or almost exactly 150 USD for tire and rim.
So I bought 10 of them:
IMG-20200208-WA0020.jpeg

Five are going on this truck. Five going on the 1995/1996 troopy which also has small rubber on it. I'm really jazzed to get these tires and rims. The tires are narrow just like I wanted, and they are new and flawless so I don't even need to worry about refurbishing them. I also got new seat belts and spare carrier from the same guys. I forgot to ask about mirrors which I need for the troopy. I also am getting a new radiator for the pickup--there looks to be a couple of pinhole leaks.

I'm in a restaurant in Sharjah now waiting for 4 pm when the yards open again.

Later today I'm going to have all 10 balanced.

Last edited:
good buy .
just 1 point .....
are you sure you have 5 hole rims on this and older truck ?
I can't remember when they changed from 6 to 5 holes

good buy .
just 1 point .....
are you sure you have 5 hole rims on this and older truck ?
I can't remember when they changed from 6 to 5 holes
Doh! Well it is still the tires I want and still a good price for that. Now for plan B

Last edited:
Doh! Well it is still the tries I want and still a good price for that. Re for plan B
I literally gave away 5 lug rims just like those above. No one wanted them. :)

There is a way not to trow these 5 lug wheels away ! Not sure if legal in the USA .
1 - Cut the center of a 5 lugs wheel , leaving just the outer rim .
2 - Cut the center of a 6 lugs split wheel .
3 - Weld the center of the 6 lugs split wheel to the outer rim of the 5 lug outer rim .

You can even play a bit with the offset . Any decent machinist can do that . There is a guy in Portugal that builds and sells modified Land Cruiser wheels li
ke that . Expensive though . Very well built , and they balance very well with these 225/95-16 tyres

You can find him here

https://www.cruiserworks.pt/index.php/produto/jante-16/

I imagine shipping must be expensive to USA . Some weeks ago he shipped a bunch of these wheels to Switzerland and Poland .

He is a good friend , but I don't have any affiliation !

There is a way not to trow these 5 lug wheels away ! Not sure if legal in the USA .
1 - Cut the center of a 5 lugs wheel , leaving just the outer rim .
2 - Cut the center of a 6 lugs split wheel .
3 - Weld the center of the 6 lugs split wheel to the outer rim of the 5 lug outer rim .
It would be a sin to cut up these beautiful 2019 factory rims. I'm sure someone in Northern Virginia or here on Mud will want them. I can just stick them in the back of the pickup when I ship it to the US later this year. Along with the pretty nice split rims--and the so-so tires.

Well it is 11 pm and I just got back from a very long day, with a happy ending. After the 'doh' moment earlier, I went back to the salvage yard and hunted around and found 4 very nice (and much lighter) alloy rims, also off of a LC pickup with 6 (SIX) bolt pattern. They were a little dirty, but not so bad.
1581188903736.png

I also found a 'new' radiator (I had noticed 3 pinhole leaks in the existing radiator and decided to just get another). About 70 USD. I'm still going to have it cleaned and pressure tested. And I also found the two solenoid valve assembly for the fuel tank selector--the pickup was only pulling fuel from the rear tank regardless of the indicator light in the binnacle. New solenoid valves were available, but they were pricey. I also picked up 4 new door hinges and the fold-down windshield holder new from my parts guy.

1581189282579.png

(I just like this photo.)
1581189427324.png

That's 14 tires and rims in the back of the pickup. The radiator and other parts are riding shotgun in the cab.

I then went to the yokohama dealer in Sharjah to get the new tires mounted on the old rims.
1581189671542.png

These guys are good. Yokohama is a class act. They first demounted one of the salvage yard rims and put it on the truck to see if fit and whether there would be any interference. I held my breath a bit on that. By this time it was 8 pm and if the salvage rims were not useable, well I had a bed full of tires and not much to show for the day.

The salvage rims were 8 inch and the back of them was 3.5 inches from the back of the rim.
1581189921657.png

Seeing all those salvage yards makes me jealous that we don't have that here. What a gold mine of LC parts.

Like these in my garage? They do work well on a 70 series.
Those are some damn beautiful rims my friend. My used tire and rim guy in Sharjah offered me five of these but I demurred. Just like cheap wine, life is too short for rusty rims.
1581190273248.png

Seeing all those salvage yards makes me jealous that we don't have that here. What a gold mine of LC parts.
That's why I post, FJ73. I truly enjoy wandering around these yards and talking to these guys. Hoping I can share a little of my enjoyment. We Amerians in the US really have suffered from Toyota's decision not to sell the complete line of LC's. A 105 came up on Emirates Auctions a couple of weeks ago but it was RHD and too new to import to the US of course, but it was so cool.

The salvage yard rims worked splendidly!

Here are the yokohoma Sharjah guys working on the rims:
1581190727379.png

And here is the store manager, who was exactly the same age as the truck--having been born in 1991
1581190802413.png

Here is the truck on new shoes:
1581190883234.png

Golden Boy is peeing a bit:
1581190940251.png

I've driven about 500km and the rear seal on the tranny is bad, I think. Best to learn this now before shipping!

After I got the new tires mounted on the salvage yard wheels I went to another shop, a more industrial shop, for wheel balancing and alignment (Yoko did not have the adapter for balancing big-hole LC rims). The balancing went without incident, but when it came to alignment there was a bit of bad news. First, one of the leafs on the right front is broken. Secondly, the front axel appears shifted about 1.5 degrees to the right. They showed this to me up on the rack. It looks to me like this can be corrected by simply loosening the shackles on the leaf spring and s***ing the right front axel forward. But perhaps someone on here can confirm that?

I drove back from Sharjah to Dubai Investment Park where my regular garage is, to drop off the truck. I can confirm that Golden Boy really likes 32.8 inch narrow tires even with a cranked front axel. First gear seems normal and useful, and 5th gear feels much better.

Anyone need some really nice, new 5-hole 16 inch factory rims?
1581191544207.png

I've got 10 of them...

Now I've got to find one more of these things:
1581346908683.png

I found that at least it was available on an 80 according to this page. And specifically, a Type B rim.
1581348055173.png

There are a BUNCH of this pattern in 15 floating around but I have yet to find a single part number or piece for sale in this pattern in a 16. I checked Tundras and 4Runners, but all were 15. Checked ebay and ebay Australia, and so on. I put up a wanted ad in the classifieds here on Mud. I may have to use a non-matching spare, much as I hate to do that. I really like to rotate tires, including the spare in the rotation. If anyone here has an Idea...

I do seem to get myself into these odd situations....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom