Builds Going to meet my new 80 (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Time to get caught up on this thread. I purchased a 4X4Labs rear bumper from another MUD member from Colorado a few months back and (to save in shipping) decided to wait until the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray to pick it up and put it on. Before I left, I removed the stock bumper and drove with a naked rear for a week or so.

F9486E0F-B02B-438E-9E6C-7D4D7840AC83.jpeg

When we got to Colorado Bill, @cornboy was kind enough to lend his Sawzall skills to my frame and made the necessary modifications to the crossmember and frame rails in order to fit the Labs bumper in place. I can’t thank Bill and all the other guys enough for their help. It was like having a dedicated Cruiser Pit Crew. Too cool. I don’t have any pics of Bill cutting, but he took a lot of hot metal shavings for the team!

46F6CC4C-8B80-4420-A830-2EFF03031768.jpeg

While the cruiser was on the lift, i noticed quite a bit of shimmy in the front hubs, so CD @ceylonfj40nut and his boys got to work on that project. I really can’t believe how mechanically adept Keaton and Liam are when it comes to Cruisers. Like fish to water... these boys give me hope that all is not lost on the next generation.

37E0BC59-7B05-4625-92C1-7562C7702C41.jpeg

By the end of the night, I was ready for the trails in Ouray.

Last edited:
We stopped in Gunnison along the way and invited Brian @Briano and his family to join us for dinner. He even took me in for night and I had a chance to see his million dollar 80 build in person. Wow, that thing is a beast. Go check out his build thread

Builds - 97 80 Build Thread

Brian is a super cool guy that runs a shop in Gunnison (I think Gunnison Auto Repair). He certainly knows his way around Land Cruisers and all other makes and models, so if you need help in Gunnison, look him up.

I noticed he had a roof rack on another project that he was getting rid of, so after a few offers and counter offers, I had a new to me Baja Rack the next morning.

F24B1FDE-1EBA-4EC9-A087-E18621D16BF9.jpeg

That's the mother of all road trips. Awesome part of the country Zion to Page with the canyon detour. And here I had a hell of a rough time just getting to Dallas and back!

I’ve been a little slow with the updates. I took a little sabbatical with another Mudder friend of mine @ceylonfj40nut to go to Canada and Seattle to pick up his newly acquired South African HJ45 ambulance to camper conversion “Old Landy” Cruiser. This truck has a super cool story and we started a thread to chronicle the trip. It’s a cool read, even if 45’s aren’t your thing, goncheck it out.

Builds - Old Landy: An FJ45 Story/Build Thread

Getting back to my 80 build, I’ve really just been doing some little things. I ordered the rear sway bar extenders from Wits End before the Colorado trip, but shipping was delayed and they came after the trip. No worries, the sway bar survived... but WOW! These Wits End extenders are super beefy. Makes the OEM stuff look like a Cracker Jack part you pulled off a Chevy.

74FE2EDE-1BC4-40D4-972A-E92DAD99FBE1.jpeg

Check out that grimy locker actuator. Maybe that’s that the reason my rear locker isn’t engaging. I’ll add that to my punch list.

The trip to Colorado inspired me to add some items to the build. I definitely need drawers. Bins and gear bouncing around the cabin while running the trails was more than annoying. Maybe a little dangerous, so I’ll be adding the ARB drawers to the cargo area. Constantly draining and changing ice out in my cooler was a drag too, so I’ll be adding a fridge as well. In preparation for this, I had to run some power to the rear cargo area.

B4117363-C787-4843-AD3C-3762D2768AA1.jpeg

0255273E-FDB9-455D-87C9-47CFDE7CB0CA.jpeg

5E8C6BEB-CF80-4533-BAAE-A21535BBB723.jpeg

I found this outlet on Amazon for $20 or 30 bucks. Seems to work well and should work perfectly to power a fridge.

Looking like the expedition rig you want it to be. Pics are awesome of the trails you been on. Need to check out Mesa Verde. Looks amazing.

Looking like the expedition rig you want it to be. Pics are awesome of the trails you been on. Need to check out Mesa Verde. Looks amazing.

Mesa Verde was super cool. We almost had time to make the detour on our Old Landy trip. We’ll hit it next time through my friend.

Mesa Verde was super cool. We almost had time to make the detour on our Old Landy trip. We’ll hit it next time through my friend.

Looking forward to another trip.

Seats are almost finished. Headrests and seat backs up next...

8A8CCAE4-4229-42DD-9682-0D6D9776C6D6.jpeg

A32113B3-7B8D-4E4F-81C7-0895E1136AB1.jpeg

BEA17808-5472-4E2C-9DBE-46C74B348F19.jpeg

Land Cruiser Heaven covers. Only took 6 months to receive them...

Here is a link to my full review of the Land Cruiser Heaven leather seat covers.

Land Cruiser Heaven

Last edited:
First class man. Nothing less from the Closer. Career change around the corner?

Where did you pick-up the center console cover, at the H/L location? I have four nice holes in mine from the PO car phone mount. I've only been able to find complete sets.

Where did you pick-up the center console cover, at the H/L location? I have four nice holes in mine from the PO car phone mount. I've only been able to find complete sets.

@Deathvalleypaul can get you almost anything you are looking for when it comes to 80’s. I picked mine up from him. PM Paul and let him know what you’re looking for.

I have had a lot of fuel tank pressure, especially at higher altitudes. I’ve had fuel actually geyser out of the tank when venting it on the trail. I know what needed it be done, I’ve just put it off. So finally, I replaced the Charcoal canister with this...

C33FE8C8-00F6-41FD-8F17-2F7969F7A35F.png

No more swoooooooooooooosh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom