Glove-box grab bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mot,
I'm not interested in this mod, but I just wanted to say that I think it's really cool that you're putting this together for members of the forum.

Cheers.

Ary,

PM right back at you! ;p

I gotta get myself to bed!! ;)

Good night/morning! :rolleyes:

Mot

BHMCruiser said:
Mot,
I'm not interested in this mod, but I just wanted to say that I think it's really cool that you're putting this together for members of the forum.

Cheers.

Thanks for the compliment!

Can I please go to bed now? :flipoff2:

Mot ;)

mot said:
Thanks for the compliment!

Can I please go to bed now? :flipoff2:

Mot ;)

Pshh, goin to bed at 11am, wtf kind of lazy bum are you!? :flipoff2:

Oh, that's right, there's that whole time difference thing...what makes you think you're so special you can just go to bed when the rest of us here in the states need info :grinpimp:

Goodnight Mot :D

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Pshh, goin to bed at 11am, wtf kind of lazy bum are you!? :flipoff2:

Oh, that's right, there's that whole time difference thing...what makes you think you're so special you can just go to bed when the rest of us here in the states need info :grinpimp:

Goodnight Mot :D

Ary,

Good morning!

What time is it now there, 5-6 pm? (You are not in the west, right?)

I should try to get more than 5-6hrs of sleep at my old age though. :rolleyes:

Mot

hello, am i to late to get one of these oh s*** bars i would love to have one i have a '93 with the sweet color of brown on its insides.

doughboy said:
hello, am i to late to get one of these oh s*** bars i would love to have one i have a '93 with the sweet color of brown on its insides.

doughboy,

You got PM.

Mot :)

Hey did you forget about me :confused:

I need one for the 96 in gray please :D

I was wondering if any who has done this mod (powderpig ?), or anyone from OZ who has this bar... if they could possibly tell us how it is mounted? Can you just drop the glove box, reach up behind and bolt it on? or is there more to it then that?

A picture would be great :) I just would like to know if there is a brace for renforcement behind the dash or not... or is this something where we'd have to rig up a plate behind the dash pad to keep it from ripping a big hole in the dash.

Thanks if you can help.

gbell210 said:
I was wondering if any who has done this mod (powderpig ?), or anyone from OZ who has this bar... if they could possibly tell us how it is mounted? Can you just drop the glove box, reach up behind and bolt it on? or is there more to it then that?

A picture would be great :) I just would like to know if there is a brace for renforcement behind the dash or not... or is this something where we'd have to rig up a plate behind the dash pad to keep it from ripping a big hole in the dash.

Thanks if you can help.

What year do you want?

91-94:
RHD

slammed80_2.sized.jpg

LHD

xxz-076-4.jpg

95-98:

daa-04n-4.jpg

2148845_16_full.jpg

:cheers:

Tucker

Todd,

SORRY!

Indeed, how could I have forgotten about you (and the :princess: ). My apologies.

You know that there were "bluish gray" and "sable" colors for pre-'95 80's. Well, according to the parts guy (and my wife thought this too) "sable" might be "grayish", too.

He told me that he is going to check this today.
He told me that there might have been (and there was) other color variations than those two, depending on the model/options (after checking some catalogues).

Anyway, I'll let you know his/my findings.
Of course this only should concern "doughboy" who has a '93 with tan/brown interior as the catalogue list post-'95 80's having "bluish gray" and "oak".

So now the most recent list looks like this[updated 11/05/05]:

Pre-'95
-Ary ('94 with Gray: used)
-Tucker ('94 with Gray: new)*
-fj803fe ('92 with Gray: new) *
-gbell210 ('94 with Gray: new)*
-semlin ('93 with Gray: new)
-Bigshone ('94 with Gray: new) *
-SR.GRINGO ('94 with Gray: new) *
-doughboy ('93 with Oak: new) *
-cruiser ken ('94 with Oak: new)*
-absurdum80 ('93 with ???: new)

Post-'95
-re_guderian ('95 with Oak: new) *
-clownmidget ('97 with Oak: new) *
-brianinaustin ('96 with Oak: new) *
-tiorio ('97 with Oak: new) *
-devo ('96 with Oak: new) *
-landtank ('96 with Oak: new) *
-boydmick ('97 with Oak: new) *
-airlaird ('95 with Oak: new)*
-ParadiseCruiser ('97 with Oak: new) *
-Koffer ('96 with Gray: new) *

*: Paid

NOTE: I need to get back to both semlin and ParadiseCruiser concerning other items they are interested in purchasing at the same time as the bar and that is why they have been unable to pay me because I have not given him the rest of the information yet.

Please let me know if I've missed anyone else or if you want to be taken off of the list.

And both "bluish gray" and "sable" are out of stock, so I was told that it would take around 2 weeks (if not longer) for them to get them in. The oak guys with post '95 are good, but I would like to wait to receive all of them together to save on shipping to my place. Please let me know if this alters your decision, too.

Anyway, I can't believe the list has now grown so much.

Hope it works out!

gbell210,

I was told that Navid ("nmostofi") had one in his rig (mentioned in his ROTW and that he's got it from SOR.

I have e-mailed him and asked him to shed some light on the installation process, etc... Let's hope he'll chime in.

Anyway, let me know if my list needs to be modified again! ;) ;p

Last edited:
Well thanks for all those pictures Tucker (At least I get to see how it sits on the outside of the dash of a 91-94....
xxz-076-4.jpg

BUT I was hoping for a mounting picture behind the dash. So like if the glove box were removed and a picture taken from up in that area, could both mounting bolts be accessed from there?

If that is your LC in picture #2 (LHD 91-94) and if its not too much trouble...could you get a behind the dash shot of how it bolts up?
That would be very helpful if you could or anyone else?

EDIT: Thanks Mot, hopefully he can shed some light :)
Basically I'd just like to know if by dropping the glove box the install can be done, or if the black dash bezel all has to come off. Pictures aren't really needed in that case.

Last edited:
gbell;

To mount said grab bar, do the following. (This is from memory)

First; get two nuts and washers that fit the studs on the grab bar, I think they are 6mm. They are not supplied.

The mounting frame work is right behind the padded dash, complete with holes. A small (1"x1"x1" camera may see this.)

Remove clove box and electronics that will be facing you.

Stuff a rag between the the dash and frame work on left side; this will prevent you losing the mounting nut and washer. The left side is done by feel, very hard to see what one is doing in that tight space.

Next, get a small nail, find the hole in the left mounting position and push it thru, or nearly thru, the padded dash, from the back; so as to leave a dimple so that u know where to drill a hole. Carefully drill or punch a small hole at this spot; u may be able to push the grab bar stud into same place. Do this on the right side as well.

Push grab bar thru the mounting frame, and feel for the stud; attach washer then nut; both sides.

Grab bar now mounted. This take about 1 hour of careful work.

This completeth the lesson...

QED

dfmorse:

Thanks, thats all I needed. Since I haven't pulled the glove box out, I wasn't sure what was behind there or if anything else needed to be removed. Thanks again :cheers:

dfmorse said:
... get two nuts and washers that fit the studs on the grab bar, I think they are 6mm. They are not supplied.

I'm including those with the bar as I saw the part number (x2) listed with/by the bar ($0.60 each), I figured they were needed for the installation. Is it fairly easy to get the 6mm nuts and washers? If so I don't have to get them, if you wish to do it w/o them.

dfmorse,

Thanks for enlightening us with the step-by-step instruction.

Very much appreciated.

dfmorse said:
The mounting frame work is right behind the padded dash, complete with holes. A small (1"x1"x1" camera may see this.)

Can any of the post-'95 owners confirm the existence of such holes?

I'd just hate for any of you to waste your hard-earned money and leave a sour taste in your mouth. :frown:

Anyone?

Mot :confused:

OK i just got back in from the truck. It looks to me that there is a plate behind the dash with holes that seem to be located correctly for what I saw in the above pic of a post 95 truck. But that is also where the duct work runs over to the right side vent on the face of the dash. This would have to come out to install the bar. I'm out of town right now and was hoping someone could read up in the FSM on how difficult it is to remove this duct.

MOT, I'd like to get in on this if it's not too late. But I'd like to also do a little more investigating if I have time. When do you think the last opportunity would be for me to send you the funds? I have a 96 with oak interior.

Rick,

It's never too late! ;)

There is at least one person who would like to pay with check (mailed to my in-laws in Utah), as well as others who have opted to use PayPal. So it'll take a little time while it gets written/signed, stuffed, stamped, mailed, deposited, and cleared. ;p :D

As I stated earlier, at least one type of the bar is out of stock and will take a couple of weeks to come in. So I feel that you can take your time until you get back to your place and stuff.

Also, I just came across a couple of pics of the dash with airbags that probably is no use in this case. The passenger airbag might be out of the way, but the duct work could/might be a problem, if it leaks/obstructs the hot/cold air.

Anyway, I'll put you down Rick, but I will bug all of you on the list before pulling the trigger anyway. So no worries.

Thanks for doing a bit of research away from home. ;)

Yours,

Mot
post 95 dash with bags.jpg
post 95 dash with bags 2.jpg

Mot, I'm in for a brown one for '94, assuming you get the gray/brown (sable?) color thing figured out.

edit: I did a search for sable on yahoo, its a brownish color.

example sable and white collie
Sable-r5.jpg

Ken,

Nice picture! ;)

And that is good to know that "sable" is drown/tan in color and not gray. :crybaby: (tears of joy ;) )

I've put you down on the list above.

However, I will let you know when/what I hear from the parts guy.

Thanks for the research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom