Glove-box grab bar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mot ... just finding this thread and first off thanks for doing the leg work !!!

After contemplating this thread you could label me as guardedly interested. I'll let the first wave of orders pass and wait to see the results. If results are favorable then I'd be interested in a second grouping of orders......

Again ... Many thanks

I'm good for one... '96 Oak. Thanks!

I'm curious too... why dangerous w/ airbags? Does the cover flip down upon deployment?

LabRat,

No problem.
I'm yet to hear back from the parts guy :frown: , but I feel fairly good about my chances of acquiring these. We'll see what happens!

brian,

Thanks!

No idea about the airbag deployment. I have not seen pictures of them after accidents lately (and when I saw them I was not paying too much attention), so not sure if the lid/bag would interfere with the bar or not.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted. ;)

Mot

I'm interested also ('94 gray)
Curious though, for those that know, how would you mount this? Can you just drop the glove box and reach where the bolts would come through the dash.... or does the radio/climate bezel all have to come off? I would hope the whole dash doesn't have to come off.. that I think would be a pain.
I'm sure you at least have to drill a hole for each bolt, but do you have to cut the dash at all to make it sit flush.....and would this lead to the dash cracking later on down the line due to sun and age?

LX_TREME said:
Mot, Off the topic.Is that your rig in Nippon? a-ha i see electronic controller..popped the hood lemme see what you got under there.. :rolleyes: and what those red thing next to auto shifter +plus those red lights right on the speedometer cluster...

The red light on the dash are for a svc belt light for the diesels timing belt replacement . The red button on the is the override bitton for shifting out of park and the box is a "i have no clue" box :D

If the passenger is grabbing onto the bar when the airbag deploys, it can break their hands/fingers due to the position of the airbag above the grab bar. If the grab bar is above the airbag, then it should be okay.

97 FZJ80 said:
If the passenger is grabbing onto the bar when the airbag deploys, it can break their hands/fingers due to the position of the airbag above the grab bar.

Makes sense. First good, logical argument I've heard for it. Anyways, the bar is usually only used off-road at slow speeds so I'll risk it (for my wife ;) )

97 FZJ80 said:
If the grab bar is above the airbag, then it should be okay.

Huh. :confused: Having a hard time visualizing that one. I guess that's what the open sunroof is for???

re_guderian said:
Makes sense. First good, logical argument I've heard for it. Anyways, the bar is usually only used off-road at slow speeds so I'll risk it (for my wife ;) )

Huh. :confused: Having a hard time visualizing that one. I guess that's what the open sunroof is for???

If the bar is above the airbag.. you fingers wrap down towards the bag. When the bag comes out it basically pushes your grip from the bar and your arms go up and back. (maybe even into your own face though)

But like someone else said if the bar is below the bag... when the bag inflates think of rotating your hands/wrists back towards your forearms. (breaking your wrist) Since your grip is pushed more onto the bar and you can't let go.

Hope that mekes better sense?

Last edited:
LX_TREME said:
Mot, Off the topic.Is that your rig in Nippon? a-ha i see electronic controller..popped the hood lemme see what you got under there.. :rolleyes: and what those red thing next to auto shifter +plus those red lights right on the speedometer cluster...

LX,

I see that Koffer has answered most of your questions.

And unfortunately, that's not my rig in any of the pics.

Mot :D

Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't slacking off. :flipoff2:

I did not hear back from the "new" guy but have written him just now to confirm that he would not be able to help me out.

I will let you know what comes of him (probably nothing) and take another action later this week (visit dealership). Actually, I'll try contacting the guy who has sold me the parts catalogue CD's and helping me with the sourcing of the rear ac parts to see if he can help.

Stay tuned! :rolleyes:

Mot

Good news! :rolleyes:

I've just heard back from the rear ac guy and he said that he would look it up for me.

So, it looks like we are finally going somewhere with this afterall, maybe. ;)

Mot :)

Koffer said:
The red light on the dash are for a svc belt light for the diesels timing belt replacement . The red button on the is the override bitton for shifting out of park and the box is a "i have no clue" box :D

The box under the dash seems to be a turbo timer.

A lot of ex-JDM's land over here (and get converted to LHD). Almost all of them have turbo timers.

The conversion shops usually remove them and sell them off as a separate item.

Lo and behold!

The man comes through! ;)

So, not to sound like a freakin' broken record (Ary might not know what "records" are :D ), but let me do a recap on who is in, perhaps for the last time:

-Ary ('94 with Gray)
-Tucker ('94 with Gray)
-fj803fe ('92 with Gray)
-gbell210 ('94 with Gray)

Did all the pre-'95 80's sold in the US come only in gray? :D

-re_guardian ('95 with Oak)
-clownmidget ('97 with Oak)
-brianinaustin ('96 with Oak)

And did all the post '95.... :flipoff2:

I've told him that I would let him know the final numbers early next week. So I am thinking that I am going to wait until my Monday morning (your Sunday evening) before finalizing.

I believe the handles require a couple of nuts/bolts/screws or whatever, but other than that it "should" not require any additional parts.

IMPORTANT:
I just want to make it known that I have NOT done this mod myself and have no idea if it's going to work or not. So if you have changed your mind, please let me know before I place the order. If you want to wait and see like LabRat, then it should cost you a little extra (shipping and wire transfer costs not shared with others).

Speaking of costs, Toyota must have raised their price on the earlier grab bar, so now the cost difference is between the earlier dash model and the newer one is even greater, to just about $10. :eek:

So let me do $82 for everything, including shipping (upto 2 lbs) by air (express, trackable: less than a week). If it weighs a little more than that, then it'll cost $4 or $8 more, depending on how much more it weighs. Of course, we can opt for the slowboat shipping for upto 4 lbs. for the same cost ($80, total).

That number is for the those unfortunate souls with pre-'95 models.

If you have the post-'95 models, you can simply deduct $10 from the number for even $72.

The guy told me that the bar for the pre-'95 were in stock, but not for the post-'95 (maybe around two weeks before getting them in).

Now here comes the important part, I can accept PayPal or checks/money orders. I prefer PayPal as it's quicker and easier, but I will accept checks written out to me, mailed to my in-laws' place in UT. We'll have to wait til they clear though.

Let me know if I have missed any of you (or have the wrong year and/or color info.) or if any of you have changed your mind. And also which payment method you prefer to use.

I'm glad that we are finally going somewhere with this.

Mot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom