Get axle back into Birfield - snap-ring trouble (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hunterwalkabout.com
Hi everyone, I'm new to FJ62 ownership first post here! :)

I'm doing a front axle rebuild and am trying to get the freshly cleaned and repacked drivers side birfield back on its axle, but can't compress the snap-ring to get it in. I've tried using a hose clamp, and even a zip-tie to compress the snap-ring to try to get it in, but they just slide off the ring before it makes it into the birf.

In the FSM it seems to say to use a screwdriver to put force on it as you push it in, but I've tried this too and can't get it in there.

Is there some kind of ring compressor tool I need to use for this?

Thanks in advance!

I used 2 screwdrivers.

I placed the birf in a 1-1/2" pipe I have lashed upright to the front of my ARB bumper since I didn't have a vise.

Then placed the axle onto the birf till it hit the ring. I held the axle in vertical position by letting it rest on my shoulder and neck.

Then, with the screwdrivers, I pushed in one side of the ring while the axle was pressing down on it, then the other.

Eventually, after futzing with it long enough (almost till my patience wore thin) I got both ends of the ring compressed and the axle slid home.

Definitely finicky.
The 2nd time I did it for the other axle it was a lot easier...since I had done it before.

I tried the hose clamp idea too. That didn't work for me.

Thanks for the tip! Spent hours on this today - glad to know I'm not crazy.

I'll give it a whirl with two screwdrivers.

Check this out :

not sure I trust him- way too clean for a gearhead...
I'll prolly do the martac when I split my birfs...

This guy is ishobie here in mud since 2004.

He is a respectable cruiserhead with some great tutorials on is YouTube channel.

The fact is what is show work great !

I've never been able t get the hose clamp or cable tie trick to work. I place the birf vertically in a vise. Have a helper hold the axle in place, push the snap ring in with two small screwdrivers, then have the assistant gently tap the axle with a hammer.

Ishobie is the one that did NOT (!!1! :flipoff2:) thread lightly ;) :grinpimp: :cheers:

But it is a very cool video :ban:

Warning this thread has some breathing buttholes that can type:
Found a swamp, got stuck in it....deep water, love my turbo diesel beast!

I dont remember having trouble putting the snap-ring on, also in a vice so it does not move, press one side in then start rotating from that side and tilt the axle slightly and move it while pushing the ring in (one screwdriver)

file.php

Last edited:
Aaaargghhh, thanks for all the tips guys. I'm going to try all these again today, hopefully will have some success.

I've never been able t get the hose clamp or cable tie trick to work. I place the birf vertically in a vise. Have a helper hold the axle in place, push the snap ring in with two small screwdrivers, then have the assistant gently tap the axle with a hammer.

WOOHOOO!!! Finally got it in. The key in my case was small screwdrivers. I got it mostly in, and then I used a really small flat head screwdriver (like 2mm small) as a punch in between the splines to get the remainder of the snap ring in. Couple of taps and she's in. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom