Builds Gerry's Build thread: "If it happens again I'm buying an Abrams" (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those look great! Cheers to the weekend. So mad I got the 'rona. Was looking forward to it.
So your stuck again?! This time at home. 😆

I'm curious as to why you went with lockers instead of ARB? I'm at the crossroads of getting a Elocker or ARB Airlocker.

I'm curious as to why you went with lockers instead of ARB? I'm at the crossroads of getting a Elocker or ARB Airlocker.
There are more things to fail in the ARB air lockers. In my research it looked like in the real world, those things do fail much more frequently than e- lockers. I didn't want to rely on air, install an air tank, etc. Ultimately, I'm very pleased with the items I did go with. I've had zero issue of the "reverse unlock" you'll read about.

Thank you. That’s very helpful!
Now to find all the parts and pieces!

There are more things to fail in the ARB air lockers. In my research it looked like in the real world, those things do fail much more frequently than e- lockers. I didn't want to rely on air, install an air tank, etc. Ultimately, I'm very pleased with the items I did go with. I've had zero issue of the "reverse unlock" you'll read about.
I concur, air lockers are dependent on a working onboard compressor and air lines being intact and all that.
E lockers are just need 12v applied to lock.

So after our last wheeling trip, I made the decision that after about 90k hard and heavy miles, my shocks have seen their better days. With only more weight eventually going in to the truck, and the trail obstacles only getting more difficult (thanks to my friends with 80s and their big ass tires), it was time for new tubes. I went balls to the wall here, I think. Also looking forward to seeing how the new bump stops improve the feel of the truck. I'll install those first.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 230021.jpg

I'm thinking I may look in to new springs as well. I have the (I think) dual rate Tough Dog red coils for med to heavy. It might be time for heavies.

@YezusLX did NOT get abducted to Cuba and brought the new fuel tank a few weeks back. I'll get to that probably when I work on installing the shocks. Then I can finally get @ASFIR 4X4 a review!

We've been busy with this Camino, which has held up my SC build and is taking all of my time and money. Happy wife... you know the thing. If anyone is interested in seeing the show, here you go: 1986 Elky "Jesse" - A *soft restoration* - https://www.elcaminocentral.com/threads/1986-elky-jesse-a-soft-restoration.253681/#post-2587072 . Maybe one day I'll have a build thread with a turbo involved :bang:

Very cool write-up on the El Camino. Damn fine work as well. Worth a read if anyone wants to see how far understatement and small details make the vehicle. Well done sir! And I kind of wish the Cuban ladies had absconded with me to Cuba. #sadface

MRAs are always a fine choice :D

Very cool write-up on the El Camino. Damn fine work as well. Worth a read if anyone wants to see how far understatement and small details make the vehicle. Well done sir! And I kind of wish the Cuban ladies had absconded with me to Cuba. #sadface
Thanks dude. I appreciate the words.

I received some goodies from @crikeymike this week. Can't wait to get these put in. F+R MRAs.

20220713_192110.jpg

So before October I have: underdrive transfer case gears, new fuel tank, wheeler bump stops and the shocks to install. And 35s, hopefully. Should be cool.

I received some goodies from @crikeymike this week. Can't wait to get these put in. F+R MRAs.

View attachment 3058793

So before October I have: underdrive transfer case gears, new fuel tank, wheeler bump stops and the shocks to install. And 35s, hopefully. Should be cool.

Heck yeah! Looks like a major upgrade to your TD shocks!
Have ever weighed your truck when fully loaded? TDs on my truck worked better with a little weight on the truck! Curious how you like them (once installed), compared to your well worn TDs.

Heck yeah! Looks like a major upgrade to your TD shocks!
Have ever weighed your truck when fully loaded? TDs on my truck worked better with a little weight on the truck! Curious how you like them (once installed), compared to your well worn TDs.
I haven't, but I would like to get it weighed. Even just in road mode for a base line.

I'll keep you posted.

Mine weighed in at 7560 lbs and frankly I was shocked!

See ABC recycling on 41. They can dispose of metal parts like your gas tank and skid give you a couple of bucks and give you a pretty accurate read on the weight of the truck. My Sequoia rolled in at 6598 left at 62 and some change with a half tank of fuel and me. I was shocked as well. Bertha is a well-proportioned girl for being close to stock.

Who doesn't love a good trainwreck? 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom