Gerold the 78 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is how it starts. Just a picture:
12409.jpeg

12408.jpeg

Last edited:
Fender flares are same as mine. From the PO and I kept them for now. Well now is going on 30 years, so I guess they will stay. Dumpster green (don't take that wrong, just what I saw in the first picture.) a picture is worth a thousand words, so start talking (writing).
Shane ;)

Gerold was owned by a friend of my brother's. The engine was rebuilt in 2012 along with the front and rear end. The ARB lockers were installed then also. The engine has less than 100 miles on it, and is getting water in the oil. The PO got fed up with it and his wife told him to get rid of it. This is where I come in. I have a yellow FJ40 sitting in my back yard that belongs to a friend of mine that I will be rebuilding for him. This is why I got the text message (or my wifegotit first). He priced it and. I could not pass it up. This is the second 40 that I have owned. More on that at a later date.

I knew I should have flipped the bezel before I took any pictures. It is kinda akward to start working on a vehicle you are trying to buy.

The short term plan is to pull the head and see what is going on with the water in the oil. Next it to change the master cylinder, and do a rear disc swap. At the same time unload all of the spare parts and sort out all of the PO stuff. There is also quite a bit of metal work I need to take care of.

It's beautiful!!

My plan was to pull the valve cover first and then do a compression check on it. If the problem is not found under the valve cover I will have to go deeper.
The master cylinder that is on it looks to be leaking through the rear seal and into the booster. I know that is is a major bad issue. Since I have to buy a master cylinder I was looking at doing a rear disc brake swap. I am going to get the bracket and other components from Steve (Poser). I will be using the FJ80 Non abs master cylinder. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Nice, keep us posted! '78 here too!

0216170850a.jpg

0216170850.jpg

I do not see anything that would stop me from going further. Anyone see anything?

It's a long shot....but were the head bolts re-torqued after the engine was initially warmed up the first time. FSM says they should be

There is a chance that they were not. I will check the torque on them before I take the head off. I got a coolant system pressure tester and put 15 lbs on the system. It may have dropped 1lb in the hour that I had the pressure on it. When I pulled the plugs all were black (rich mixture) and none indicated coolant leaking into the cylinder.

Congratulations, green is one of my favorite colors.

Really like 1911's rig for the green. Mine is 309 Freeborn Red and will repaint it the same factory 309 in order to retain max value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom