Gas Tank Problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1973 FJ55 with 47 gallon extended range fuel tank, old and rusty on the inside. I removed the tank after draining the very old and very brown gas out of it. Pressure washed the outside and blasted through a few small holes in the side. The build up and rust has destroyed the tank. Super frustrated as I was hoping I was going to be able to just clean it out, paint the outside and reinstall. Now I'm faced with the decision to replace it (2000.00+ and I have to have it delivered to Nevada and go pick it up as California doesnt allow it.) or find a smaller / original style tank.
The IDEA of a large tank is nice, but realistically there is more of a chance the gas would go bad, then me actually driving it 300+ miles on a single trip. I've already answered my own question I think, but I wanted to throw it out there.... If you were at this crossroads where you HAD to replace the tank, and having driven your Pig around, and say the 2000.00 would not break the bank, would you spring for the larger tank, or find something original and spend the money elsewhere?

Do you have an expert opinion on the tanks salvageability or is it your own assessment? Some of these radiator shops can do pretty good.
if it is truly a goner, then there are other options. My tank was made to my specs and delivered to my door for $500 all in. it was a few years ago but made and shipped in California.
I personally would not spend 2k on a gas tank, but I also would not drive my pig on a stock tank either.

Do you have an expert opinion on the tanks salvageability or is it your own assessment? Some of these radiator shops can do pretty good.
if it is truly a goner, then there are other options. My tank was made to my specs and delivered to my door for $500 all in. it was a few years ago but made and shipped in California.
I personally would not spend 2k on a gas tank, but I also would not drive my pig on a stock tank either.
Yeah I am looking into a custom aluminum tank now. I think thats the way to go. 25 gallon tank with the same configuration of openings for "plug and play". My current tank is a goner for sure. The two holes are just an indication of how thin the walls of the tank have become due to rust. Its so nasty in there, I would spend so much time and money on chemicals trying to clean it out then repair it, its just not worth it. I'd rather have exactly what I want as far as size and benefit from a lighter, non-rustable tank. Thanks for your comment and input, I appreciate it. Who made your tank? That price sounds great. Also how many gallons does yours hold?

I have to look back in my notes to see who made it. They are in the Inland Empire for sure.
My tank holds about 39-40 gallons. I designed it to hold as much as possible but still tuck in above the bottom of the frame. Obviously you will not have a tire carrier anymore, but it doesn't sound like you have one now as it is.

I and many others have logged way over the 10,000 mile to 500,000 marks on a stock tank! The problem is when they sit (especially with ethanol!) The worst the corrosion gets. You have a lot of options here. I would go with Stainless steel or Aluminum if you're willing to incur the expense. Long range in my Opinion I dont think its necessary. Slightly increasing the stock dimensions will increase capacity without having the Arse hanging down. 🧐🤔😉😯😳😘

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom