Garage Plan Ideas (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Getting ready to mount my vise to the table.
Few questions:

I’m right handed so I’m assuming mount it on the right end of the table on the 3 foot side of the 3x8 table?

The base of the vise has an angled piece that I’m not sure what it's for. Any thoughts?

26FD1781-0F09-46BB-BFCB-EABE9BA5268F.jpeg

Right side would be fine, but I had a vise mounted to the left side of my workbench for a long time (I'm right handed). Didn't have any issues./

Want to attach a loop ring to the ceiling for a lifting point. I have 3.5”x24” LVLs in the ceiling. I drilled some 1/2” aluminum plate and got 5/8” threaded rod. This is what I’m thinking (I’ll trim the threads of the eye bolt flush before I mount it.
image.jpg

I’ll cut out the Sheetrock in the ceiling to recess the smaller plate against the bottom of the LVL beam.
I’m no engineer but I’d like to build in a known failure point (the eye bolt) so if something fails,
I’d like it to be that rather than the LVL in the ceiling. Of course I don’t plan to lift anything even remotely near what this can handle but I’d still like to engineer it correctly.
Any input appreciated!

Residential design typically doesn't offer up much extra capacity. Builders do everything they can to cut their costs to maximize their profit. I've seen a lot of garage trusses not even designed for the additional weight of a gyp board ceiling. As you're in Alabama, I doubt they're even figuring in any extra capacity for snow loads. It may look like a sizeable beam, but could actually be near its limits already depending on what all is bearing on it (upper floors, roof, etc).

Up north, you can typically count on extra snow load capacity, so as long as you aren't trying to pull a big block out of the engine bay while you're holed up during a blizzard you're likely going to be ok.

He Skeet,
I've used the Micrlam LVL before.
Here is their design manual, but I didnt see a 24" deep beam.
There are many tables so you need to find the one for the closest size yo have and the span.
If you can estimate the load. The rest is kinda easy.
If you need any other help holler
Bobmo

Attachments

• Micrlam LVL Design Manual.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 131
Does anybody have some good insight on garage floor paint ? I am presently poised to purchase a Rustoleum product called “ROCK SOLID” the metalic “earth brown“ color. It is a high gloss marble looking finish. I’ve decided to go with high gloss no matter what,.. for my own reasons...shop, or no shop !
I would entertain any other reasonings as far as other product lines out there if you know of any...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom