FZJ80 A442F Transmission Solenoids From AW450-43LE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1993 80 series with the A442f transmission was sometimes not shifting, flaring, skipping 2nd, and not downshifting. The problem was getting worse and I had to fix it. After some research on the forum and referencing the FSM, I decided it must be a solenoid issue. I took the pan off the transmission and checked one solenoid. The resistance was a bit high, it had a gritty sound/feel, and it would not hold a seal.

The solenoids through the dealer are an outrageous amount of money! After lots of searching, I found that the AW450-43LE transmission is identical (or at least uses the same solenoids) to the A442F. It was hard to find the part numbers and any first-hand experience installing them. The part numbers I found on the forum did not match what I ordered from the transmission supply website. Well I ordered the solenoids based on the supply website, and they worked great! I just want to share this on the forum, and hopefully make it easier for the next person to find.

Website part reference: FSM reference:
D49421A Solenoid, AW450-43LE (RNJ) Shift 1 --- Timing Solenoid
D49422A Solenoid, AW450-43LE (RNJ) Shift 2 --- No. 1 Solenoid
D49422A Solenoid, AW450-43LE (RNJ) Timing --- No. 2 Solenoid
D49425A Solenoid, AW450-43LE (RNJ) Lockup --- Lock-Up Solenoid

New Solenoids Installed:
IMG_4099.JPG

Some back story on my Land Cruiser: it was my father's and he did not change the transmission fluid for 20 years and 250,000 miles. I had previously dropped the pan to change out the filter/screen and flush the old fluid. Well it seems some particles got into the solenoids and clogged them up.

My Cruiser:
IMG_4091.JPG

Same issue I just fixed. Car only done 145000 km but solenoids had locked up due to sitting in the garage for years unused .

I bought those solenoids direct from the gear box manufacturer . Barg Warner I think it's called from memory. Fortunately the a442f is still a common use gear box for light trucks in Japan so you and get them cheaper direct .

My Toyota dealer here wanted $260 each for the solenoids , that's as bad as the electric seat motors second hand for these cars !!

Same issue I just fixed. Car only done 145000 km but solenoids had locked up due to sitting in the garage for years unused .

I bought those solenoids direct from the gear box manufacturer . Barg Warner I think it's called from memory. Fortunately the a442f is still a common use gear box for light trucks in Japan so you and get them cheaper direct .

My Toyota dealer here wanted $260 each for the solenoids , that's as bad as the electric seat motors second hand for these cars !!
Aisin/Warner hence the designation AW450-43LE. The two companies had a thing going on in the 80's.

Aisin/Warner hence the designation AW450-43LE. The two companies had a thing going on in the 80's.
Yes mate that's the one, they are exactly the same and I paid 260 for all four so I saved $750!

From memory Aisin still making them as if 80s were still coming off the Japanese assembly line :)

(This is my first post)...Excellent advice. I was having an issue with the vehicle starting in 3rd. I decided to change out the No. 1 and No 2 solenoid and worked like a charm. Also saved a few hundred from this post.

Great Forum. This is my first post too.
Thank you JimmyMc for the informative post. Obviously I am no mechanic; so my question is how to identify solenoid numbers? which is No. 1 , 2 , 3 , 4?

Great Forum. This is my first post too.
Thank you JimmyMc for the informative post. Obviously I am no mechanic; so my question is how to identify solenoid numbers? which is No. 1 , 2 , 3 , 4?
I used this diagram. The two middles ones are 1 and 2. Driver side is the timing solenoid and passenger side is the lock-up solenoid.

Solenoid Repair.JPG

guys i have a question maby you can help me with. first let me set the stage a little bit here. the trans in question here is a aw450-43le out of a 2004 isuzu nqr withe 4he1 now i bolted this trans to a 4d34 mitubishi engine and installed it in to my 94 toyota landcruiser now this transmission worked fine in the truck but now being installed in a custom set up i know this trans is 100 percent electronicaly shifted however i did have to exchane rear output shafts in order to be able to bolt on my transfer case . anyway i took it for its first test drive and obviously with no trans controler hooked up you would have to manualy shift it . well it has first gear and reverse but when shifted manualy in to 2nd or33rd it acts like a brake and slows rite down not pulling but you can hear the engine still sounds like its under load . for example while stopped when you shift from park to reverse the rpms drop like they should and it goes in reverse a bit slippy but it does same thing thru alll ranges but it will only move in frst gear . and as i said it just drags to a stop in 2ns and third. can the aw450-43l3 e shifted manualy ? and if so is what iam experianceing correct ? senci will be running an compushift controler . iam windering if i need to have that installed first to determin if there is another problem. behelcause when i took it for its ride 1st and revers work but are not solid as they should feel ether.. i really need some p thanks !

Thanks so much guys, this was the exact info I needed. I drove home an imported 1994 LC VX Limited yesterday, with only 136k KM and noticed the OD light on the cluster flashing. Over Drive button was not making any difference and neither was the ECT button. First gear was good but it shifts straight to 3rd. Funny thing is it was fine when I test drove it an hour earlier- everything worked as it should. Just my luck I guess. Used the firewall jumper on terminals "E1" to "Tt" and counted the flashes for a code 63 = #2 solenoid valve. Glad to find the solenoids for only $48 each - might as well replace all 4 at that price.

Anyone ever heard of Transmaxx? Amazon has that brand of solenoid for all three part numbers, about $8 a piece. I think I am going to be a guinea pig on this one and give them a try, not like I don't have the time, :lol:

The solenoids are ordered. If they get here by the weekend, I'll swap them in and give a report.

Well, color me shocked. I received the solenoids today, they are all genuine Isuzu parts!

rkL26tx_9OyftZyetlJZpslgz8yfwa0-jgEmzc8m38kUAXE2S9aj1Cawr1JznSAaWn5RurPYBpr4Sp6nTdaeoHYuA8d4eWAz2pw-oDEDxYGdohq9RtmLhT6Pa-jRd6sX70jSkYGYR57WIJRJdyJfZQGJpLcUtQcK57RDCMOH9_l1NyIqyKVNJVTt5V-jAV7yYba2y0ciHksjooHuQ3Na4D9GR9PBVt99KfEPJ3aVsLTfp2gwtnoml1Zi9VOXwRSACkv3Ybh4if3B4soYjHNFo1tamgnZVT9go6fVjATi3QOWhpXuJHbnI9bk78vl0zQufmaZjCc8DSqZtHRjjDbqC3q1SOCr2pacJHAQV4EiyBmBVvZ-Le0ODNTCu2N50nsZ5c46IH8OCAu-oSnqIupJbfdt2dybbQWkxkg6Z_eYJoh5Nv8wX_mmsL1cF1vh2kfkkCGELmXp0gJ8978H6BcAfLaxHpZrBVpAgJI7n05k4hSe7TPPJF2yLFaLd-1BK6Ic3cAib7TFKztjGxonqiCQ-qz9ZmWtaTr3hSUHCPPzc13pY9KtoESbVYxJ_bWqVbWBBBuqTd2lUhuRR-Z7gaf4dR3oXPd0WjTYUOn3DPPOPXHP1dQDdTmS1ujSsNMhOBFKHRQdK3G_ofRKmTA39RcKlsl6Grsd1gpbW_Adv3UQEs6NJbCOwvmBpKXdHnjetKXEQazQskU-UkXzpZVF4wo1iTxwuFcl04sfJvXC2u1r-kTIs2NZX52D5GU=w618-h822-no

Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

Well, color me shocked. I received the solenoids today, they are all genuine Isuzu parts!

rkL26tx_9OyftZyetlJZpslgz8yfwa0-jgEmzc8m38kUAXE2S9aj1Cawr1JznSAaWn5RurPYBpr4Sp6nTdaeoHYuA8d4eWAz2pw-oDEDxYGdohq9RtmLhT6Pa-jRd6sX70jSkYGYR57WIJRJdyJfZQGJpLcUtQcK57RDCMOH9_l1NyIqyKVNJVTt5V-jAV7yYba2y0ciHksjooHuQ3Na4D9GR9PBVt99KfEPJ3aVsLTfp2gwtnoml1Zi9VOXwRSACkv3Ybh4if3B4soYjHNFo1tamgnZVT9go6fVjATi3QOWhpXuJHbnI9bk78vl0zQufmaZjCc8DSqZtHRjjDbqC3q1SOCr2pacJHAQV4EiyBmBVvZ-Le0ODNTCu2N50nsZ5c46IH8OCAu-oSnqIupJbfdt2dybbQWkxkg6Z_eYJoh5Nv8wX_mmsL1cF1vh2kfkkCGELmXp0gJ8978H6BcAfLaxHpZrBVpAgJI7n05k4hSe7TPPJF2yLFaLd-1BK6Ic3cAib7TFKztjGxonqiCQ-qz9ZmWtaTr3hSUHCPPzc13pY9KtoESbVYxJ_bWqVbWBBBuqTd2lUhuRR-Z7gaf4dR3oXPd0WjTYUOn3DPPOPXHP1dQDdTmS1ujSsNMhOBFKHRQdK3G_ofRKmTA39RcKlsl6Grsd1gpbW_Adv3UQEs6NJbCOwvmBpKXdHnjetKXEQazQskU-UkXzpZVF4wo1iTxwuFcl04sfJvXC2u1r-kTIs2NZX52D5GU=w618-h822-no

Nice. I’d be very interested to hear what difference these make to how the transmission shifts in general

So the new solenoids are in, and the results to date are good. The one quirk that always seemed to be there was the trans ended up in first on a slow turn. Almost felt like it was in neutral, or was rev matched to the gear, but there was never a feel of it suddenly grabbing a gear are anything. Anyway, that is gone, it is acting like a normal automatic again.

The other issues I had were very random and occasional. I won't know if they are gone until I start driving it on a somewhat regular basis again.

This is an easy job for anyone considering it. Messy, but easy. I did it over the course of a couple days to let as much oil drain as possible. The solenoids are right there once the pan is dropped, and there is no way one could mix them up, the brackets of each solenoid make that impossible.

So the new solenoids are in, and the results to date are good. The one quirk that always seemed to be there was the trans ended up in first on a slow turn. Almost felt like it was in neutral, or was rev matched to the gear, but there was never a feel of it suddenly grabbing a gear are anything. Anyway, that is gone, it is acting like a normal automatic again.

The other issues I had were very random and occasional. I won't know if they are gone until I start driving it on a somewhat regular basis again.

This is an easy job for anyone considering it. Messy, but easy. I did it over the course of a couple days to let as much oil drain as possible. The solenoids are right there once the pan is dropped, and there is no way one could mix them up, the brackets of each solenoid make that impossible.
Thanks for the follow up. Have been watching. Our 97 A343F tranny is giving code 705 for solenoids also. Just cleared code again yesterday. Will drive until we experience issues. Currently 286K.
Glad to hear this is not to bad but messy. Congratulations

Do you have a link to them? for some reason I'm not finding them :(

Just google the part numbers in the first post. The first amazon hit will get you there.

Hey I dont know you but I was having the same problem whit my cruiser for 4 years thanks to your post I fix it my self I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom