Fuel tank recall completion underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a timely thread for me, as I just got off the phone with Toyota Corporate. I have learned of this because my tank did actually rupture last week, and in the process of researching that I learned of the recall. So far two dealers have flatly refused to do the work, and Corporate claims it's not a recall but a service campaign (NHTSA website says "safety recall") but they have assigned it to a case worker to see what they can do to help me. We will see where this leads...

Clark

In '91 it was filed as a safety recall. The murkiness comes in with if there's a statute of limitations on said recall. I've found conflicting NHTSA literature as to how long manufacturers are held liable. I went through three dealerships before I found one that would do it - and as you can see, it wasn't straightforward. Keep calling around, you'll find a shop that will do it. If you provide the PNs you may find them more receptive.

Well it appears I have some forward progress on my vehicle, I'm told the dealer here in town "didn't know the process" for this recall lol. Anyway, Corporate needs to confirm the parts are available, and then I'm told this shouldn't be an issue. Interestingly, my biggest hangup with Corporate is that their system keeps telling them my VIN is invalid. Of the three people I'v talked to, they have each had this issue and "need to try a different screen" where it then comes up just fine. Your Cruiser is up and running with a shiny new tank now right?

Clark

Thanks for the update....please keep us posted. I almost feel like I should get in line now before I have the problem.

This is a timely thread for me, as I just got off the phone with Toyota Corporate. I have learned of this because my tank did actually rupture last week, and in the process of researching that I learned of the recall. So far two dealers have flatly refused to do the work, and Corporate claims it's not a recall but a service campaign (NHTSA website says "safety recall") but they have assigned it to a case worker to see what they can do to help me. We will see where this leads...

Clark

Stay on that case worker. Mine had a case number assigned to the PO by an ATL dealer several weeks before I purchased the truck. Neither he nor I ever heard back from that dealer.

Stay on that case worker. Mine had a case number assigned to the PO by an ATL dealer several weeks before I purchased the truck. Neither he nor I ever heard back from that dealer.
Good to know Zjohnsonua! For me it is coming straight from Corporate, so I would hope they are more responsive than that, but not necessarily. The case manager did state that it was rather odd that I created the ticket rather than the dealer lol.

Graniteone, I would strongly suggest you get on this. You definitely don't want to be like me and find a puddle of fuel forming under your truck (thank god it was in a friends driveway, not the middle of nowhere where I prefer to spend my time). You also don't want to wait and find that it actually really is no longer available. I'd love to just upgrade to the long range fuel tank, but I don't have that kind of money, not to mention the money to relocate the spare at the same time.

Like Zjohnsonua, once I actually get something solid on this I will be sure to add it for the next folks to reference, especially dealing with Corporate rather than a local dealer.

Clark

What dealership did you take it to for the replacement? Bill Penny?

I was told to forget it when I took my FJ 62 to the dealer, since they couldn't find parts. Afterward the customer service rep at the same dealer called and asked if I was pleased with the service I received. I told them of my experience and they promised me that they would look into the matter and get back to me. I still haven't heard anything back from them. The part that still PMO's the most is that I purchased the vehicle used from a Toyota dealer after the recall came out, and I've had it to a few other dealers throughout the time I've owned it, and not one of them ever said anything about this recall.

I was told to forget it when I took my FJ 62 to the dealer, since they couldn't find parts. Afterward the customer service rep at the same dealer called and asked if I was pleased with the service I received. I told them of my experience and they promised me that they would look into the matter and get back to me. I still haven't heard anything back from them. The part that still PMO's the most is that I purchased the vehicle used from a Toyota dealer after the recall came out, and I've had it to a few other dealers throughout the time I've owned it, and not one of them ever said anything about this recall.
The FJ62 gas tank is long gone from Toyota. No hope of any recall replacement even if the dealer wanted to. :(

I still haven't gotten my paperwork. Thanks for reminding me. Ill go by there and re-re-remind them.

The tank is 77001-60241.

I now have real movement on my recall, talked to the corporate guy today and he was surprised to know the dealer hasn't talked to me yet (I'm not surprised however), but he let me know that they had about half the parts in hand and are waiting for the other half to come in. Hopefully by next week I'll have a shiny new tank under there!

Clark

I ordered a new pick up and fuel sender with the gasket. About ten feet of fuel line makes everything go smoother too. The technician had the service writer call me to confirm that all the shiny new parts in Buster were to be put in. I laughed as I heard him say he would have to rig something up as some of the fuel lines were no longer in production. Dude, that’s what the ten feet of fuel line are for. I literally heard the technicians lightbulb in his head EXPLODE with understanding. I miss mechanics with a can do attitude and experience to back it up. Hope traction continues and this happens for you.

I just ran my VIN for my 1983 FJ60 and it says mine has never been done. I printed it out and will stop by the Toyota dealer here and see what they say. Based on the thread if I get any pushback I will just call the corporate office.

Mine was finally completed today, I'll pick the truck up tomorrow. The dealer wanted nothing to do with this, but Corporate were quite helpful and pushed it through. The dealer however, went so far as claiming Toyota wouldn't give them my contact info to arrange the appointment. I don't much believe a word they said, but at least it's done (and hopefully properly...)

When I pick it up tomorrow I will see if I can get app the paperwork related to the recall with PN's and any other info, then I'll scan it and post it all up. In the mean time, if you need to resort to Corporate, here is their numner: (800)331-4331. Go through the prompts and you'll get something done.

Clark

Glad to see you managed to have it completed. It's a shame that some dealers are choosing to make things this difficult. I sure hope that there's some feedback loop that involves corporate so that something improves. I mean c'mon... it was a safety recall for Pete's sake - unsafe 30 years ago is still unsafe today, legalese schmegalese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom