Fuel tank recall completion underway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
Threads
Like many others, my 60s fuel tank has seen better days. Luckily, mine hadn't had the recall completed. Thanks to a few pages in this forum I rounded up some semi-recent PNs to give the dealer for the recall. The service guy seems to think he has them all on order, and they'll be here in about a week. I wanted to keep the info current for others, so I'll follow up as this deal progresses.

Like many others, my 60s fuel tank has seen better days. Luckily, mine hadn't had the recall completed. Thanks to a few pages in this forum I rounded up some semi-recent PNs to give the dealer for the recall. The service guy seems to think he has them all on order, and they'll be here in about a week. I wanted to keep the info current for others, so I'll follow up as this deal progresses.
Are you able to provide the list of part numbers in this thread?

If/when it's successful I'll post a copy of the invoice to include all pertinent details.

The service writer I've been dealing with has been difficult at best, but alas, the appointment is scheduled. She goes on the rack next Tuesday and is supposed to be done the same day. More to come...

The NHTSA text states that "certain 1981-1990" TLCs are affected. It was issued 24 June 1991.

So that would mean 62s are also candidates.

Correct. There's a fair bit of info around these forums. However, it's mostly scattered and is dated by now. So I intend on filling this thread in as things develop to provide a milestone to others.

So far everything is stated to have arrived, will be covered under warranty, and should be complete in one day. I'll drink a beer to that if they're successful!

I was told that repeatedly. I dug a little and discovered that PNs had superseded. One phone call later I had a parts guy saying "aha! Well, I'll be..." now here we are.

Recall #91V110. You can chuck your VIN in NHTSA's site and it'll let you know where your vehicle stands respective to any recalls.

Granted. I meant that it may be available if a parts desk will dig a little. I'm not sure either way.

Update:

Dropped the 60 off this morning. Short version is, I'll be picking it back up - recall not completed.

The service writer stated that the parts he ordered (parts found on invoice in this thread) were the original parts, as in the ones that the recall was meant to replace. They're going through some kind of internal petition process to try and use these, since "we can't get the PNs listed in the recall anymore." This doesn't line up with the story provided in the linked thread, so I'll push a bit and ask for a paper trail to show that this is indeed the case. I'm still trying to understand how this work made it to the install before they found this snag... more to come after I talk to the service writer.

60 tanks (available) can be modified to accept 62 fuel systems. FYI for 62 guys with bad tanks.

almost certain Toyota will not do that under the recall.

I would like to see the recall notice.

Here you go. Looks like the owner of my 60 got the notice in January of 1992...though I have to look through the slips to see if it was done.

fuel_tank_recall.jpg

Thanks! I hope the PO did the recall.
I have a huge folder of every receipt the truck ever had and I am pretty sure I saw one in there for changing out the gas tank. There is another recall notice for the rear seatbelts but I havent paid too much attention to that.

It's done! Pretty sure my saving grace was when my service writer made my appt and then called in sick. So I got passed off to a no-nonsense guy that just pushed it through.

My only hold up was when they dropped the tank they discovered that the fuel pick-up had been mangled and pieced back together with JB weld (PO did a decent patch up job and relocated the pick-up to the drain hole, but it left the pick up hose exposed to trail carnage). They were able to get a new one for under $50 so I gave them the go ahead. My hoses were in good shape, so they replaced the ones they could get and put the other ones back in. I'm waiting on an email with the invoice from the work. Once I receive it I'll post it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom