Fuel Tank Prep for the Diesel Swap Guru's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
What sort of fuel tank prep did you perform for your gas to diesel conversions? Did you go with a new tank or clean/prep your old tank?

The biggest issue for my 80 series was changing all of the fuel lines and vapor recovery system to larger lines. I did have the tank sealed, but that was only due to a botched prior sealing job, and not really part of the diesel conversion.

Thanks @CycloSteve ... Read about Some botched tank repairs/prep. I'm seeing mixed reviews for Tank-Renu and "hot tanking" has mixed recommendations as well. Saw something about running the tank and using an extra filter to catch any gas varnish the diesel will release.

I hate the idea of spending the $$$ and ruining an otherwise perfectly good OEM tank.

I emptied the tank from the plug underneath and put 20 litres of diesel and drove off. There is no need for preparation, but make sure its clean.
There is no difference between the petrol and diesel tanks.

My 12ht conversion required a return line.
I just made a 8mm hard line to run along the chassis rail and teed into the overflow pipe near the filler cap.

I did the same when converting the 80 from 1FZ to 1HD-T: Dumped the gasoline out, swapped the gas pickup to the diesel pickup, ran the late model diesel fuel lines for the larger return and when done...filled with diesel and drove it. Oh, and put in a dual filler neck, which is still waiting for the sub-tank.

hth's
gb

If you are worried about the condition of the inside of your tank, I would recommend the POR-15 fuel tank seal kit. I used it on the fuel tank for my Mercedes G-Class to fix several pinhole leaks and it is fantastic stuff. The kit comes with tank degreaser, metal prep and sealant.

I do have a question. I am planning to change from a gas motor to a diesel motor (Nissan). The stock tank apparently has a galvanized coating, and I have read that diesel can deteriorate galvanizing, and cause it to flake off. Has anybody here had any experience with a galvanized coating failing due to diesel exposure?

Don

If you are worried about the condition of the inside of your tank, I would recommend the POR-15 fuel tank seal kit. I used it on the fuel tank for my Mercedes G-Class to fix several pinhole leaks and it is fantastic stuff. The kit comes with tank degreaser, metal prep and sealant.

POR-15 was the problem with mine. When mine was a gasser, the increased ethanol content in the fuel bubbled the sealant. I had mine baked and professionally sealed the second time.

Over the years ive had about 20 oem sub tanks come and go, petrol and diesel. Not one of them had a problem with internal corosion, flaking galvanising or crud.

My 12ht conversion required a return line.
I just made a 8mm hard line to run along the chassis rail and teed into the overflow pipe near the filler cap.

Yeah, I know some of them have an extra line but I think its all in the fuel pick up.

Don't need to do much, I just cleaned it and put diesel in it. Never had a problem in six years, except from the gas-fume breathing dullard at the full-service station who refused to put diesel in my tank as it did not have a "diesel fuel only" sticker on it.

You will also have to be ready for men in lifted Super-Dutys with confederate flags/don't tread on me stickers that are pissed cause you are blocking the diesel line...

You will also have to be ready for men in lifted Super-Dutys with confederate flags/don't tread on me stickers that are pissed cause you are blocking the diesel line...

I have been at war with the taxi drivers who use my local fuel stop at shift changeover. They fill up their Toyota Hiace 9 seaters up at the diesel stand then clean the windows, check the oil and coolant etc while there are (landcruiser) people behind them. The manager gave them a blast on the PA system last week.

My 80 has been known to fly the Gasden when in the dunes, and my tanks hold more than 38 gallons! Does that make me a redneck? :hillbilly:

full

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom