Fuel tank options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have a stock tank with some weird PO fuel lines and vapor lines. I have been finding balls of rubber in my line and it has been starving the engine. I thought I fixed it but it happened again. I can't diagnose the issue because I have a Rollercoaster of rubber and steel lines crisscrossing underneath.

Basically I want to gut the entire fuel system and have a custom long range tank built with all new lines. I am not sure what I can get away with. I was thinking of in-tank pump and a return line. I currently have a sbc with a carb but might go TBI in the future.

1. If I have a high pressure pump and a regulator at the motor with a return line, can I seal the system?

2. I don't think the vapor separator is in the stock configuration and would like to know if I could just scrap it. Would make the gas tank less intracate.

3. Who is a good guy to go to for the tank? I saw boyd welding on a few threads while searching. Anyone used him? I saw some suggest IPOR but it doesn't say on their sight that they make tanks. If there is a shop in san diego or socal that would save me freight.

4. Any other things I need to think about? I'm sure there is.

Thanks.

Take the extremely large FREE tank in the back of my parts rig, I believe its 45 gallons. You just need to pick it up from Medford OR. Road trip.

I can afford free. I also have an on going project in Klamath right now.

Do you know anything about it? Is it MAF or SOR, custom? I might have to trade you some fine san diegon craft beer.

Yeah, I'm only an hour west of Klamath falls on I-5. It is name brand, don't recall who made it at the moment but it's marked on the side of the tank and I think there's even a receipt inside the cab. I believe it is designed for the early fuel sending unit so it should read correctly on your rig too assuming it still works.
I brew my own beer and have 3 on tap so come on by and we'll have a party.

Megadoomer,

You would need to vent the tank of the pressure. I don't think a vented cap would be enough.

Boise isn't quite on the way but the diversion is well worth it to see your pig in person.

These tanks thst were made for pigs, are they baffled and rely on gravity? I have been trying to get some info on the webernets.

Sounds like you have the free tank thing covered. Otherwise I was going to suggest getting plans from @J Mack as he built his own and was threatening to make me do the same :)

You definitely want vapor recovery. Speaking as someone who fought this with a OBDII engine swap into a OBDI body, it can get pretty bad...

I'm with Lil'John on the width. Mine is around 50 gals and comes close to shackle interference. I've got the same pump as Lil'John, also. Wanting to go to the new fuel mat system that J Mack is using.

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1708.JPG

I am considering all paths. The free path sounds good but I would have to wait a while before I could drive to OR. I like the idea of the vapor portion directly attaching. In the mean time I'm just going to drain and drop the tank and rip out the fuel lines. Still have a choice of delivery options either path I need to research.

I put an ad in classifieds. Just seeing the interest in a 7/70 tank. Having trouble pulling it out. I will cut it out if no one wants it. In San Diego.

I put an ad in classifieds. Just seeing the interest in a 7/70 tank. Having trouble pulling it out. I will cut it out if no one wants it. In San Diego.

What is the trouble? On my '74 there were 4 bolts holding it up (supposed to be 4, PO snapped 1 off). Are yours seized?

No, the flanges won't pass the shackle bolts. I've kicked and pulled on it. If I notch about an inch of the flange I think I can get it out. I don't want to do that if someone can use it. Not sure if it will affect the tank. After dropping dirt and gas into my face I was about Sawzall right down the middle and chuck it across the street.

Its a delicate art of balancing, tilting, prying and then all the sudden mine was out. I can't remember the sequence of which side to hold up, how to hold your head, which way to lean, and what cuss words to yell.

Its a delicate art of balancing, tilting, prying and then all the sudden mine was out. I can't remember the sequence of which side to hold up, how to hold your head, which way to lean, and what cuss words to yell.

Yes, there was lots of salty language involved in the removal of my tank.
It was a way bigger PITA than I thought it would be given the location and the fact that it is only 4 bolts.
After I got my tank completely loose, I realized I had to remove my inline pump. So I sat there holding the tank up with my head, pulling the pump. Wonderful...

When NikP says "All of the sudden Mine was out." That is pretty much how mine went. All of the sudden you are lying there with a tank on top of you. Pretty sure it is like the child birthing process...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom