For Sale FS: Door Handle Plunger Gasket Replacements (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
Do your door handle plungers "stick" in the depressed position?

Or are they slow to return?

If yes, that sure makes it a pain to lock your front doors!

After I made the glove box door handle reproductions: Glovebox Handles - Any Interest? xtiaan2000 asked me if I could make up some of these gaskets that seal the door handle plunger from dust and grime. The answer is "Yes!"

I made one for a test fit and it worked well. Then I made xtiaan2000 a set of of 4 and he gave a favorable report after installing.

So now I am assessing if there is any interest in making a batch of these? I will probably make 2 sets for myself, so I can rebuild my handles, but if others would like a set, I will take one order and then print the corresponding quantity.

If you have no idea what I am talking about - see below!

Price for a set of QTY 4: $10.50 + the ride (USPS Priority envelope = $5.60 in the US) = $16.10 w/ shipping. This is printed in nylon.

Now if you don't know what I am talking about, or have never taken your door handles apart (because this is not your idea of a good time!), take a look at these pictures.

Once you get the door handles off your Pig, pull the remaining rubber that mounts between your door handle and the Pig body off to reveal 2 screws that hold the plunger into the handle body.

Don't lose the little star washers that mount under the small Phillips head screws!

One the screws are out, you can work the plunger out of the handle body. Chances are that your gasket that goes around the plunger is cracked and incomplete. If this is the case, you will get dust inside the plunger and it will stick to the lube on the plunger shaft. Clean all the "schmutz" off the plunger shaft and lube it with some PB Blaster or Aero Kroil, slide this new gasket onto your door handle plunger and then reassemble.

Your door handles will now operate like butter!

8-24-14 126.jpg
8-24-14 129.jpg
8-24-14 127.jpg
8-24-14 128.jpg

Last edited:
NICE!!!

From a shelf life perspective, how long will these last? Can I leave them on the shelf for a few years/decades?

I'd like at least one set.

YES! Two sets for me please. My old are intact, but old. Thanks for going through the trouble of making these up. I do appreciate it.

Ron

YES! Two sets for me please. My old are intact, but old. Thanks for going through the trouble of making these up. I do appreciate it.

Ron

Great! These Pigs are demanding mistresses, needing all kinds of attention. I am happy to add value where I can!

Thanks Ron.

Yeah! I am stoked that you are making these. I had just finished doing my doors and the handles were part of the rebuild. I noticed they were sticking and that of the four there was only gasket that was complete. Sent it over to PabloCruise after he sent me his reproduction glovebox handle(sweet) and he reanimated the unobtanium! They work great! I had to do about two minutes of customizing with a dremel and, Vuala, I was back in business!

Minimal cost Big return. That's the way to do it! Thanks again PabloCruise

Great! These Pigs are demanding mistresses, needing all kinds of attention. I am happy to add value where I can!
Yes Pigs are... and all your effort is appreciated :)

I believe the nylon 618 to be superior to the material Toyota used back in the day. Let me see if I can get anything more specific about durability!

My concern is whether there is any issue with storing these on the shelf for a few years or more. If no issue, I'd be in for a total of four sets :D

Yes Pigs are... and all your effort is appreciated :)

My concern is whether there is any issue with storing these on the shelf for a few years or more. If no issue, I'd be in for a total of four sets :D

Got it. I will see what I can find out about the durability/stability of the nylon 618.

Yeah! I am stoked that you are making these. I had just finished doing my doors and the handles were part of the rebuild. I noticed they were sticking and that of the four there was only gasket that was complete. Sent it over to PabloCruise after he sent me his reproduction glovebox handle(sweet) and he reanimated the unobtanium! They work great! I had to do about two minutes of customizing with a dremel and, Vuala, I was back in business!

We shouldn't need any customization for these to fit. I will circle back with my printer. The one prototype he printed for me fit like a glove, so I will make sure the future prints are true to design, see below:

Door%20Handle%20Plunger%20Gasket.JPG

IMGP5456.JPG

Christiaan, I just noticed in those pictures that the pieces are directional, one side looks different than the other. I must have gotten lucky when I test fit the 1 prototype I got. Did you try reversing yours before the Dremel tool came out?

Yes please, I'll take two sets. Now I won't have to bang my door closed 3-4 times before it pops back out ;)

Tucker

Thank you Tucker! I think I will run the pre-order process through the end of the week. I hope to more info on the stability of the material to help people decide about ordering now.

Pablo,

I've been looking at my four old ones and they all look to be the same. Curved on top and a little indent on each side.

Pablo,

I've been looking at my four old ones and they all look to be the same. Curved on top and a little indent on each side.

Hmm... Maybe the design model needs a tweak. See how one side has a little tab facing in, and the other tab extends to the top?

I think I'll take my handle apart tonight and see how the plunger looks.

The areas that were dremeled were the corners and a little along the straight sides

Okay. Did you try flipping them before grinding? Not sure if the plunger is different on each edge. That would not make sense to me, but I have been wrong before...

On these, if you can see it, the tab doesn't go all the way to top or bottom. You could flip them and be the same.

IMG_2556.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom