Front Output Shaft Play? Bearing or new front half of case? HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rockymtnreaper

Colorado.Cruiser
Threads
Hey guys,

I have searched around mud a little bit and found some details on these threads. But nothing that 100% matched what I am seeing.

FJ60 Transfer Case- Seating front output shaft

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/some-h55f-and-split-case-tech.600279/page-13

1986 November (so 38mm) FJ60.
I just bought an H55f from Toyota to go it with my Rebuilt 2F, so I split the case to see how everything was looking, I previously rebuilt the transfer case about 3 years ago with Koyo Bearing kit. Everything was looking good to me! So I mated the t/c the new trans. After I got everything torqued and ready to go following the FSM and Georg's video I was spinning everything and feeling how tight the Output Flanges were and the rear had zero movement and was solid. The front output had play in it. (Towards the engine-back of the truck) So I removed the seal, and took a look at it. The bearing was moving back and forth with the shaft.

Youtube Video the movement

One thought was finding a thicker clip to hold it in there (I believe its 1.6mm) but I don't think that will do it.

I am not sure if replacing the bearing would help if that was worn down. (Depending on where the calipers were I got 71.86-71.92 and then 72.02)
IMG_9232.jpg

Next thought is that the bearing spun and machined out the inside of the case where it sits? So new front half of the t/c? @orangefj45 mentioned that might be the case.
IMG_9230.jpg
IMG_9231.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm ready to get this back into the truck, but I won't rush something and not do it the right way.

I think that may be normal...have you bolted the drive shaft flang on and seen if it has play once tourqe to spec can do it without the seal in place ahh nevermind already did that.

that vid of yours makes it look like the c-clip isn’t holding the bearing in place.

Do you have one in there?

Is the bearing new or used?

The sumo rebuild kit I used the shaft had to get sucked into the bearing by tightening the heck out of the flange with an impact to pull the shaft into the bearing. Once it was seated all the way and the C-clip installed it was solid AF.

that vid of yours makes it look like the c-clip isn’t holding the bearing in place.

Do you have one in there?

Is the bearing new or used?

The sumo rebuild kit I used the shaft had to get sucked into the bearing by tightening the heck out of the flange with an impact to pull the shaft into the bearing. Once it was seated all the way and the C-clip installed it was solid AF.

I have another video with the C-clip there and it had the same amount of play, I thought it was the C clip at first. The bearing is used, I put it in new about three years ago. Sadly I don't have impacts but I pressed this in, it was giving me a hell of a time removing it off the shaft.

I have another video with the C-clip there and it had the same amount of play, I thought it was the C clip at first. The bearing is used, I put it in new about three years ago. Sadly I don't have impacts but I pressed this in, it was giving me a hell of a time removing it off the shaft.

Once the shaft is set into the bearing all the way, it becomes part of the front case half unless you remove the c-clip and drive it out.

I’d say replace the bearing and see if you still experience the issue.

Have you measured the inside part of the case where the bearing sits to see how different the OD of the Bearing and ID of the bearing housing is?

Once the shaft is set into the bearing all the way, it becomes part of the front case half unless you remove the c-clip and drive it out.

I’d say replace the bearing and see if you still experience the issue.

Have you measured the inside part of the case where the bearing sits to see how different the OD of the Bearing and ID of the bearing housing is?

I tried but my calipers are not long enough to reach all the way in there. It had the same amount of play just pulling on the shaft, I really had to try to pull it with a bearing puller to get it all the way put, it didn't come easy.

IMG_9220.jpg

Well, I was told to run it so I ordered a new bearing and seals.

Drove a couple hours today to pick up parts and got home to find out they gave me the wrong bearing... I got 90366-35011 instead of 90363-35013... sucks. My bearing is not bad from before, I just decided I would eliminate that it could be bearing play.

I might just put it back together with the "old" bearing and run it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom