Front DC drive shaft vibration: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I only get the grr off the gas and it sounds like it's from the T-case back.

How do you know? Haven't we gone this route before. You can not isoldate driveline noise without removing the shafts. While you have the front shaft out to replace with the new shaft, get the rear dialed in so there is no noise. Otherwise we are back to square one.

sleeoffroad said:
Otherwise we are back to square one.

If you recall, about 3 pages ago me and a few others suggested you get both driveshafts rebuilt and balanced.:D

Last edited:
Are we still doing this thread?!?!

Wow....

These things are lifted trucks. They are not Porshes or even friggen Honda Accords.

They are going to have vibrations, etc. We have big bulky tires on 3 ton vehicles with lifts, spacers, etc. And many of these rigs are approaching 10+ years old too.

It seems each truck is different within a certain spectrum of pinion angle and caster.

I just deal with it. The worst case scenario a $45 u-joint needs to be replaced or a $60 rebalance job at the drive line shop....

Whenever I have drive shaft issues I refer to this article to answer my questions. Hasn't let me down yet.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

-o-

beno said:
Are we still doing this thread?!?!

Wow....

These things are lifted trucks. They are not Porshes or even friggen Honda Accords.

They are going to have vibrations, etc. We have big bulky tires on 3 ton vehicles with lifts, spacers, etc. And many of these rigs are approaching 10+ years old too.

It seems each truck is different within a certain spectrum of pinion angle and caster.

I just deal with it. The worst case scenario a $45 u-joint needs to be replaced or a $60 rebalance job at the drive line shop....

Whenever I have drive shaft issues I refer to this article to answer my questions. Hasn't let me down yet.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

-o-

It's not always that easy. You have no clue how bad they were. Every mechanic told me that I'd be wearing out a lot more than a $45 U-joints and I had the investment for 4.88's and all to protect.
It's now tollerable (as you refer to) though we'll check a few more things. I don't do a half-ass job on any of my trucks.

beno said:
...The worst case scenario a $45 u-joint needs to be replaced or a $60 rebalance job at the drive line shop....
Worst case consequences of running a heavily vibrating drive shaft include trashed diffs, trashed transfer case, and all of the interesting after effects one can encounter if either drive shaft drops while on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom