Front Bumper Options LC200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SSG

Threads
I just ordered a SLEE rear bumper for my 2017 Land Cruiser. I will start a build thread soon as I like reading those and plan on building mine out as well, mostly for adventuring and expeditions (Labrador, Alaska), overlanding (road trips lol). I am at the point of getting a front bumper and I am considering 3:

Dissent Full Front Bumper:
I like that it has many light options, holes in it for mounting stuff, and also the spiked front makes it more utilitarian, can kill stuff on the road.
I don't like the lead time to get one as I am not very patient haha.
Weight: 103 lbs (Aluminum)

SLEE Front Bumper:
Reputation speaks for itself in the Land Cruiser world
I have the SLEE rear bumper on its way
It is available now.
I don't like that it does not have as many light options as the Dissent or holes in it to mount stuff to it, less utilitarian, and the light options seem limited given the size and geared towards baja designs lights.
Weight: 200 lbs (Steel)

ARB Summit Bumper:
Very utilitarian, lots of light options, lots of options to mount stuff to it, tie stuff do it, kill stuff with on the road.
It is available now
I do not like that it is heavy
Weight: 295 lbs (Steel)

Just my thoughts but I may be missing some reasons to get one of these options and reasons not to. Please let me know your thoughts on these 3 bumpers as many on here have these. I do plan to add a winch as well into one of these. Card is in hand and ready to order haha.

Cheers

It’s really all personal preference. All great options and great reputations here. Get what you want. Out of those three, I like the Slee the best. I don’t like how far the ARB sticks out and I don’t like the looks of and all the bolts on the Dissent. But, I’m sure you’ll find people that are the opposite. That’s why it’s more of a personal choice. If the front from Slee from was available when I got mine, I might have went with that. But, I also wanted a full bar and liked the lines of the TJM. So, I have a TJM front and Slee rear.

It’s really all personal preference. All great options and great reputations here. Get what you want. Out of those three, I like the Slee the best. I don’t like how far the ARB sticks out and I don’t like the looks of and all the bolts on the Dissent. But, I’m sure you’ll find people that are the opposite. That’s why it’s more of a personal choice. If the front from Slee from was available when I got mine, I might have went with that. But, I also wanted a full bar and liked the lines of the TJM. So, I have a TJM front and Slee rear.
True, I hear ya. I like the Dissent look and style the best but do not like that it is aluminum because I think it may not be heavy duty but I could be wrong there. Wish I could make a bumper out of all 3 of those lol.

I second the TJM. Much better looking then the ARB.

True, I hear ya. I like the Dissent look and style the best but do not like that it is aluminum because I think it may not be heavy duty but I could be wrong there. Wish I could make a bumper out of all 3 of those lol.
If you like Dissent the best, ask Ben if he'll make a steel one. That's the good thing about his shop (more custom than most other options out there).

If you like Dissent the best, ask Ben if he'll make a steel one. That's the good thing about his shop (more custom than most other options out there).
Ah ok, that would be cool. I will ask him and see. If he says yes then maybe I can be patient for the order :)

Ah ok, that would be cool. I will ask him and see. If he says yes then maybe I can be patient for the order :)
Good luck, you might be waiting at least a year if not longer.

Reactions: SSG
I have a Dobinsons bumper. It was cheaper than the others and unlike the ARB, has lifting points for a High Lift.

20220221_083823 (2).jpg

Weight is king; it can make or break your whole build.

Go for the Dissent aluminium option.

Keep in mind that while the Aus bumpers may be steel, they're also specifically designed to fail under impact to meet Aus crash certification. So while the Dissent may be Aluminum, it won't necessarily fail sooner than a steel bumper from ARB/Ironman/TJM. Further, US made bumpers may be 'stronger' they're also carrying that impact force into the frame. So perhaps a bumper that acts as the fuse is the better solution?

Also, from real-world use there hasn't been any time ever that I've had a bumper impact where I was glad it was uber strong. My bumper gets 'used' in only very slow-speed encounters with brush, trees, rocks, dirt, etc. And most of those times its because I'm trying to get every last inch out of a situation and don't mind the light contact.

If I were to buy one today, I wouldn't have any hesitation to go Aluminum for the way I use the truck. The weight savings is something you benefit from every day. Crash impact strength is something almost never 'used'. Not sure about the front weight delta, but I believe the rear is on the order of a 200 lbs weight savings (Dissent vs Slee) including attachments. It's significant.

In not sure which ARB bumper you're referring too, but most ARB bumpers I've seen have high lift lifting points, including mine.
It's the recovery points that are missing from the Aus bumpers... pedestrian safety certification limits protrusions sticking out. Really a bummer because having a recover point that is up out of the jungle is a really nice feature.

Such great info, thanks everyone.

I have decided to go with the Dissent Aluminum full front bumper. I think my truck build will be heavy in the end so saving weight where I can makes sense.

I will definitely post some pics when it is installed.

I have decided to go with the Dissent Aluminum full front bumper. I think my truck build will be heavy in the end so saving weight where I can makes sense.

Let’s us know the expected time frame. Do you plan to have it color matched? I have a white 200 and the dissent full bar color matched would look really good I bet.

Let’s us know the expected time frame. Do you plan to have it color matched? I have a white 200 and the dissent full bar color matched would look really good I bet.
Ok will do. Just going with the Satin Black Texture option.

Last edited:

I’m a Dissent bumper owner so I’m completely biased but I will say that it will be worth the wait. If you’re in need of sliders, roof rack, or armor you will save on shipping if you buy all at once.

My ordering experience was more like commissioning a piece of art instead of making a car part purchase. Ben consulted with me a few times on the phone and we went over what needs I wanted met. Some custom work was required and I got exactly what I needed.

People in the know always chat me up about the my Dissent stuff and, more often than not, they refer to it as “Ben’s stuff” or “Ben’s work” instead of Dissent.

If you ask me, you made the correct choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom