Front Axles / Diff sizes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guu

Threads
I know I know another day another thread from me about axle housings and diffs. I'm sorry!

I found another car out bush a 75 pick up with the leaf spring front end. I pull the axle housing real excited that i had found the last bit i need to rebuild my 73 but having got it home its different.

The actual housing tubes seem thicker on the 75 axle and the diff is like 9" whilst the one on my FJ73 is 10"

Whats going on here? Did they change the diff size? If I get a 9" diff for it (the one out of this car had already been taken) can i use the inner axles / swivel hubs ect from my FJ73 as they are all in good condition or do i need everything from a 9" car?

Is a 10" diff with bent housing better that a 9" diff with straight housing?

Sorry for the novice questions, first 4wd and i live remote so no garage i can go to. All parts sourced from wrecked cars found in the bush.

Cheers

I've found some info that says up untill 1991 the 7X use the same sized diff and axle splines front and rear.

After 1991 the front diff changed to a 9" unit and used smaller inner axles.

Is this true?

Also would i be able to keep the swivel hubs from my FJ73 pre 1991 or do they need to by from a post 1991 vehicle.

I am sure experts will chime in but my understanding is that the BJ7X had the 9.5" front diffs and then when they changed to HZJ7X they went to 8" high pinion front diff.

What year is the 75?

They are available with both the low-pinion 9.5" diff and the high-pinion 8"

I don't know mate looks like it had been abandoned some time.

I need to know what vehicle i can get a front housing from which will be compatible with my 1985 FJ73 so that i can keep my diff, swivel hubs, inner axles and all that stuff

Oh yes boys!!!!!!!

Let's hope the cups are not bent!!!

IMG_20170316_123440.jpg

Wrong photo.

Any tips on how to clean up the cups? Would you guys bother with an axle this rusty?

IMG_20170317_142139.jpg

Are you referring to the knuckle ball? You can go as far as having them chromed or ceramic-coated.

Reactions: Guu
Yes the knuckle ball. I'm looking for a home brew solution.maybe just go over then with a whizzy wheel or some fine grit sand paper?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom