Front axle problems on my 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys my front axle locked up on me yesterday so I got it home and took my wheels off, the shaft coming out of the pumpkin won't move, but I can turn the wheel and the wheel on the other side spins opposite. What do I do and what can it be, it isn't converted to 2 wheel drive it's still in full-time 4 wheel drive. Any answers or explanations would be amazing thank you!

What do you mean it locked up?

If you can spin the wheels like you say, then the spider gears are ok. But if you can't spin the input pinion, then those gears and bearings are probably ruined.
Either way, it has to come out.

My money is on outer pinion bearing - broken gears will often just prevent forward motion and make a horrible racket. Even if chunks are wedged in the gear teeth usually the pinion will wiggle a little bit from bind to bind.

Did you pull the front driveshaft and try turning the pinion flange or are you trying to turn the ds while its in park?

Lack of maintenance and running low on fluid will do it but either way you basically have the same operation as a regear on your hands. Not an easy or cheap problem.

My money is on outer pinion bearing - broken gears will often just prevent forward motion and make a horrible racket. Even if chunks are wedged in the gear teeth usually the pinion will wiggle a little bit from bind to bind.

Did you pull the front driveshaft and try turning the pinion flange or are you trying to turn the ds while its in park?

Lack of maintenance and running low on fluid will do it but either way you basically have the same operation as a regear on your hands. Not an easy or cheap problem.

Don't rule out head gasket either

Drive shaft is out, while the axle is in the air they can move but the input out shaft from the axle is stuck and won't move, but when I put the wheels back on and try to just move forward or back the front axle won't move it's just locked in place. I have to pull my pumpkin off still but thanks for all the replies, just a question but is there any possibility of it being the birfield joints or would it be my diff gears for sure

My bet is with nukegoat. Bearings are toast and siezed. Wouldn't be the cv joints if you can still turn the wheels.

My bet is with nukegoat. Bearings are toast and siezed. Wouldn't be the cv joints if you can still turn the wheels.
Ya I thought so, I grew up with old 4runners so the landcruiser being my first is alot different than what me and my dad are used to, thanks for the reply, taking the pumpkin off tomorrow for a better look

Ya I thought so, I grew up with old 4runners so the landcruiser being my first is alot different than what me and my dad are used to, thanks for the reply, taking the pumpkin off tomorrow for a better look
You can pull the yoke off without pulling the pumpkin and dollars to donuts youll smell a burned headgasket and or pinion bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom