From Rust-Free to Rust Belt (1962 FST Restoration) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the second pic shows how annies seat cushion was attached also (corners showing, a band wrapping from the "padded back" around the seat, but not going all the way down)

Anybody have a set of early OEM shackles in good condition?

Opened up the transmission today to find a few chipped teeth on the first gear. Everything else in the trans and TC looked good. Anybody got an extra first gear? Anybody know if the gear is the same as the later 3-speeds?

Opened up the transmission today to find a few chipped teeth on the first gear. Everything else in the trans and TC looked good. Anybody got an extra first gear? Anybody know if the gear is the same as the later 3-speeds?

are you looking at the actual first gear, which would be first/reverse and behind second gear, or are you considering the input drive gear as first gear? there were different part numbers between the 25 and i suspect early 40 first/reverse gear than the later gears (33331-60010 vs 33331-60020) but what the difference is, i don't know.

Does anybody have the part numbers for the bearings, seals, and gaskets for the early transmissions and transfers? Well, what's still available, anyways!

Not at home but can get any numbers you need. Guessing finding manufacturer number off bearings and seal then seeing if store that deals in bearings and seal can cross reference would probably work better.

Tried to PM you, but your box was full. Any help I could get with part numbers would be greatly appreciated. Somebody has been into this transmission and TC before and I'm not sure if at least one of the bearings is even correct. I'm having a hard time finding a cross-reference for other bearings and seals.

Thanks!

Not at home but can get any numbers you need. Guessing finding manufacturer number off bearings and seal then seeing if store that deals in bearings and seal can cross reference would probably work better.

Just happened to have this page open for something entirely different:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#bellows-boots/=n8vdqa
Maybe something might work if you can't find the right thing..........speaking of which, let me look in the driveshaft pile, remind me if I forget. :)

Found one in my stash of early NOS parts. I thought I remembered seeing one somewhere. The bad news is that I only have one. The good news is that the part number on it comes up as valid at one online dealer (but not another). I'll let you guys know what I find.

image-1263681876.jpg

image-1263681876.jpg

I don't know if the early 40 tre are the same small diameter as the 25. SOR had aftermarket replacements, haven't tried to source them.

I've got this boot if you can't get one. Has a gouge (but not a hole) in it.

Sent from my issued piece of crap BlackBerry 9650

IMG-20130622-00150.jpg

Last edited:
Transmission is all fixed up and bolted to rebuilt transfer case. Next is the engine. Of course, no restoration is complete without some NOS engine parts!

image-4171236346.jpg
image-1821847451.jpg

Don't worry, I wouldn't actually use that new fiber cam gear!

The frame, springs, and axles have all been blasted, painted, and assembled together. I'm waiting on some rear axle seals to get the rear axle back together. Should have that done and new brake lines finished this week. My plan is to use a 1971-1975 dual circuit master and adaptor, but use the older zinc plated steel reservoirs so it will look somewhat original. I'll have to run the rear line over the firewall like the later trucks. This truck probably won't see much time on the road, but I'm not a big fan of single circuit brakes.

I also found that the hardtop truck had original pintle hitch eye-bolts. No pintle, unfortunately, but I was surprised to find an M12x1.5 thread on those hooks. I figured for sure that they were hardware store items that were tossed on there sometime in the last 51 years. Now, if somebody out there just had an OEM pintle hook...

Also, does anybody know if the late 60's/early 70's front knuckle rebuild kits will work with a '62 front axle? My research seems to indicate that they will, but I'd like to confirm before purchasing.

More pics to follow.

image-4171236346.jpg

image-1821847451.jpg

Last edited:
Knuckle rebuild will work, some differences I think with the felts and rubbers, but nothing you can't make work. You will need axle bushings for the 62 though.

You will need axle bushings for the 62 though.

which are nla :(

on the front end rebuild, next month, i'll be doing annie's front end with a kit from kurt. if i get to mine first, i'll let you know.

I have wanted the Eastwood flaring tool for a long time now. I figured this would be the project that I would treat myself and justify the expense. Let me tell you, this thing is worth every penny! You can make a PERFECT double flare in less than 10 seconds.

image-2131370659.jpg

image-3673312245.jpg

image-1120965831.jpg

image-2131370659.jpg

image-3673312245.jpg

image-1120965831.jpg

Schweet!!!! Nice work! Can I come over and drool on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom