Fridge question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I'm going to install a 58 quart fridge with a sliding rack on my drawer system in my 1997 80 this week. What is the preferred side to mount, driver or passenger? The lid will open from eaither side, so that's not an issue. I go back and forth, and can't decide. I see good reasons for both, and curious what others decided upon and why.

Thanks! :popcorn:

Last edited:
If the fridge obstructs my view out the back of the truck, I would place behind the driver. If no obstructions, it would be personal preference.

When my current fridge ceases to work, I will look into the Dometic 30 drawer fridge built into the drawer system.

Where is the power source located? I assume you've run power to one rear quarter or the other? Keeping the fridge close to the power source should make it easier to avoid wire clutter, etc.

I ran power to passenger / right side rear quarter because there's a powered sub in that location that needed power and there was plenty of room for the fusing, outlets, etc. The wiring/etc. is also safer passenger side as I store a few things in the driver rear quarter panel. I also wanted the power on the passenger side with the camping setup/platform that I sometimes run but that may not apply in your case.

It probably doesn't matter but I typically put the heavy things on the passenger side since I often drive solo and assume it may balance the rig side to side better. I don't know if the fridge will be the heavy thing in your typical use case or not but this could help you decide if power doesn't.

I assume you are covering this but, more important than which side it's on is probably how well secured it is. You don't want heavy items flying around in the 80 should an accident occur.

Lots of tools in drawer on passenger side with our setup so that may also work to balance things YMMV plus behind the driver obscured less for me.

I have toyed with removing the passenger side middle row seat and fitting the fridge there on a purpose built platform. Super easy access and you don't lose valuable space on the drawer platform. Also no need for slide rails which saves weight and cost.
I see lots of positives to this approach and the only downside is one less seat which isn't really an issue.

Depends on if you have an awning. Mount it on the opposite side in my experience.

Edit, misread that it’s mounted in the back.

My fridge is on driver side on the drawers with one of the slides that lowers down on to the tailgate since there's no space to reach what's in the fridge otherwise.

Main motivation for this choice was that side of the drawers is a fixed lid, while the passenger slide can have the top slide out. Since the fridge is on a slide/lower of its own, I figured being able to pull other stuff closer was the obvious choice.

Try to keep everything else (tools, recovery, heavier equipment) on the passenger side to help with balance

I have toyed with removing the passenger side middle row seat and fitting the fridge there on a purpose built platform. Super easy access and you don't lose valuable space on the drawer platform. Also no need for slide rails which saves weight and cost.
I see lots of positives to this approach and the only downside is one less seat which isn't really an issue.
This is how I have mine mounted, work really well !!
On the plus side you can reach your favorite beverage with out leaving the driver seat :cool:
It also seats lower so you can see in it;)

Anyone got pics with their middle-row positioned fridge? I'd played with this idea years back but wasn't sold. Love to see which way around you position your friges and how much room there is access into/around them

Fridge mounted as low as possible and wired into a 12V panel on the side. I have a switch on the dash to turn it on and off.
45Qt ICECO VL45.
1700085300889.png

Snorkel on the passenger side.
Awning on the drivers side.
Fridge on the passenger side.
Spare tire on the drivers side.

Ok, I’ll play…I’ve done both passenger and driver. I am now 100% sold on driver side now, for one main reason….I prefer my sleeping platform on the passenger. I am 6ft 3in tall and in order for me to sleep in the truck, the front seat needs to be all the way forward. When I had the sleeping platform on the driver side it was a total PIA to keep moving the driver seat all the way back to drive and all the way forward to sleep. With the sleeping platform on passenger side, I can keep the seat most of the way forward if I’m alone and don’t have near as much to do to be ready to sleep. A second advantage, but more particular to my setup is that my spare tire swings from and is closer to the passenger side, so I can get to the fridge easier on the driver side. I often grab a soda out of the side rear window which is easily accessed from the driver side as well.

I have a family that sometimes goes with me so the middle seat is Not a possible space for now.

I should add that I have electrical 10ga power to both rear interior panels now and use the small Anderson connectors to plug the fridge. I had too many issues with other types of plugs, and my fridge would randomly cut out. No issues ever since I switched to the Anderson Powerpole connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom