Four Days stuck in 1st and 2nd gear low Range (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Always fun going down slopes like that with lose gravel. It's even better going up when you lose forward momentum and the front of the truck wants to slide out because you are all locked up. :D

Or going up a loose slope with all 4 tires spinning but you are still sliding backwards, towards the hairpin turn you just came around.......:eek:

So here are the pics from the horse trip, had a good time, on top of the shower we built a hot tub, which was pretty sweet, was big enough to jump in from the roof of my truck and a nice little change from sitting around the camp fire drinking beer (although we still drank beer) :hillbilly:

DSCF0647.jpg

DSCF0648.jpg

DSCF0649.jpg

All loaded up with their gear and feed for the horses, the trailer did well, just followed me everywhere i went. We were quite a bit faster than them, but we waited for them to have lunch on the first day just before the bog. Making sure they made it across, seemed the quad way was somewhat dry and they didn't have issues on the way in.

DSCF0650.jpg

DSCF0651.jpg

DSCF0653.jpg

Again waiting for them at the big river crossing to make sure they made it across, and again no problems. Not many pictures taken, sorry. Then next day they took off to go riding their horses and me and adam worked away on making a hot tub out of some dead logs, tarps and our trusty hot water system we used to shower the night before.:hillbilly:

DSCF0654.jpg

DSCF0655.jpg

DSCF0656.jpg

:popcorn:

Funny how different camp is when your hosting some cowgirls.
I can picture cannonball into the hottub off your 60 roof after some beers :lol:.

Funny how different camp is when your hosting some cowgirls.
I can picture cannonball into the hottub off your 60 roof after some beers :lol:.

Yup :hillbilly:

Although we ran into the local guide outfitter who was in there with 3 other guys on horses and 6 pack horses scouting the mountains getting ready to bring in people for hunting season, they camped a little away from us but they were going to move into our camp after we left and they had all sorts of questions about the hot tub and the shower. On our way out though we heard the 15year old with them put an axe into his leg and they sat phoned out of there and some dude that used to have a cruiser like mine (just not as big ;) ) was going in there with a couple quads to pull the kid out.

The hot tub was quite epic, have talked about setting one up for years, while secretly hoping we would find some natural secluded hot springs but with killer views like this as the sun is setting behind the mountains you really can't go wrong with an artificial one right at camp! :hillbilly: Anyway next day we cleaned up, sent the girls on their way and me and Adam went to clear a bit more towards the lake as the horses rode in there the day before and cut up their arms pretty bad bush wacking thier horses into the last 4 Km that are still horible pushing through. Then we drove out and back to the begining of the trail with no other problems and slept a night before we drove home. Adam's frame by his stearing box cracked pretty back and he lost a pin on his leaf springs, but managed to limp it home. I stopped and loaded the trailer with some nice dry firewood to take back home to my shop for this winter.
The End of this adventure

DSCF0657.jpg

DSCF0658.jpg

DSCF0659.jpg

WEll, Adam couldn't make september long cause he was working, Ive been crazy busy no free time, so I still wanted to go to get some rest and although my GF had strep throat, she came with me. Sorry don't have any pictures, GF took some, but she is in Red deer resting cause she had strep throat pretty bad so havent gotten any pics off her and she really didn't take any truck picks just pics of me or the scenery ;) (shes not really a crazy cruiser head like me :hillbilly: ) Anyway little disapointed, there was an excavater that made things a bit easier to get in due to some other expolritory drilling, even used our bridge by piling some dirt on it, so our engineering anint too shabby if we can hold up an excavator ;). And then the worst thing ever, two trucks on the trail, two JEEPS! I was sad, think they only made it cause the excavator took out the sketchy section and they thought they made it to the lake, but they didn't get to our camp site which was only half way to the lake, so they weren't even close (15 km probably) but I can see them going back and trying again. Ran into a bunch of quaders, some dirt bikers and a few hunters from Dawson Creek (good guys) but we had out camp to our selves, most people except the hunters just day trip from their RV trailers back at the begining of the trail. Anyway Adam is pretty disappointed the trail is being so used, but I guess we could have expected this as we cleared the trail for years it is getting more plesant to drive in there without beating yourself and the equipment to get in now. Plus it is sept long, rivers are the lowest so very much easier now too, think we will still be the only crazy ones to try in May and June with water running over our hoods:hillbilly:

Well good you got out there anyways. Just need a few storms to rough up the trail again. Might loose your hot tub frame on the gravel bar in the spring though.

Well good you got out there anyways. Just need a few storms to rough up the trail again. Might loose your hot tub frame on the gravel bar in the spring though.

Yeah it was good stress relief, even with the people and the jeeps on the trail ;) Yeah see the quads are ripping up the trail pretty good and there are a few sections which are a km or two long with thick willows on both sides that are getting tracked up really good with the quads creating long shallow mud pits. The more traffic that goes in there will chew it up and will be difficult to just go around the mud puddles like the quadders usually do, so will be OK for us to walk our swammpered locked trucks through it, sort of can't wait till they wreck the trail enough that they can't make it in there anymore. Stupid thing is most of the quadders blame the trucks, but you can point on any mud hole and I can point out how they wrecked it, seen the trail for over 3 years now and we walk the trail without spinning a tire now and can see how the heavy quad use is ripping it up.

Oh no we won't loose the hot tub, cause we have seen the river at it's highest, it doesn't come too close, there is grass growing on the bar where we built it, it's the higest spot on the bar, just after the large log that hasn't moved since we have been going in there (not that there will never be a huge melt event that couldn't take it out, but it is fairly safe there ):hillbilly:

Hey Deny - Just found this thread, very incredible wheeling! I had a beer with you 3 yrs ago in FSJ. I remember you talking about this. I'd sure like to bring my wagon up there, that's the kind of trip I live for.
Thanks for the excellent commentary, enjoyed it almost as much as the pictures.

It's been 3 years already, man time flys when your having fun ;) Thanks for the comments.:hillbilly:

Yeah it's a little disappointing the amount of traffic in there now, but was bound to happen as we started clearing this 4 years ago. We still have a bit more to explore on this trail and some more clearing, so it's still an adventure going in there though. Might have one more trip planned in there this fall, will see if me and Adam can get our schedules to jive.
Cheers,

Truly EPIC:beer:

Rob

Thanks Rob.

I am really glad I started this thread, it reminds me of how it was when we first went in there, and everything we had to do to make things happen. Three years of good memories and many more to come in there too :hillbilly:

You have put a lot of kms on that rig. And I truly miss it. Can't find another 5spd ps wagon anywhere!!

Good on ya man. Keep it up

dan, there was a nice looking 83 just south of me in salmo listed yesterday. not up anymore so if you bought it feel free to stop by for a beer...

IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG

We went in Here May long weekend, Trail was paved to the falls thanks to the mining exploration that was in there last fall/winter. But the River crossing kept the rest of the area just to us and we spent a few days out in the middle of nowhere. We didn't take the tarp down last fall so the snow pretzled the shelter, but hot tub was still there, we couldn't get it hot enough because the coil burst in two places and we cut off 3 coils which then couldn't pump enough hot water to sustain the big tub. We did get hot showers though. Had to bust trhough a bit of snow to get in and we had a nice trek in and out. Sure hope we don't see stock pickup trucks at the falls due to the graded road, but figure in a year or two their s***ty workmenship will erode away and should be a bit tecknical geting to the falls again.
GF has a few more photos and I have bugged her to send them to me so hopefully will have a few to post up shortly.
Cheers,
Deny

20140517_104439.jpg
20140517_102401.jpg
20140517_101806.jpg
Been a little busy with moving and fixing up two places plus getting a mini truck ready for work but here are a few pics from the trail that has been upgraded slightly last year by the exploration crew, they should probably be gettin in trouble for this as I would guess they don't have a clearing permit, a road permit (as they graded the road), and a section 9 for the grading they did through the creeks......... but time will tell I guess, I do know we were quite dissapointed with how easy they made the first 10km of the trail and how they just overturned the trees next to the trail. We were planning a trip in early July but that fell through due to work, but hoping August long gets us a visit in there as long as the fire that is currently threating the area doesn't cause closures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom