Builds Found an Arabian FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

throw me in the category of loving split rims... the people who most often despise them are brainwashed to thinking all split rims are the same.... however they are not the widow makers that many here in the usa are accustom to hearing horror stories about

I'll keep the splits for now at the very least. They're original, so I'm inclined to make them work.

it does look like the door has been replaced with another ... or ... resprayed .... or... been off the truck for years and hasn't faded like the rest of the cruiser :)

I'm told that it formerly belonged to some Saudi governmental agency and that they painted the doors over when it was sold by them. The paint on the inside of the door matches the rest of the rig. But really, who knows? =)

whats the trim code and vin number of the cruiser? if you now either

I do have that info… as well as the block and head reference numbers. See below:

012head.jpg

013block.jpg

The builder's plate isn't against the firewall, its on the passenger side fender behind the battery. Based on the screws holding it there I'm assuming it was relocated to that spot.

014plate.jpg

nice truck ... I think you have a realistic and practical plan for it ... bottom line for me is, they're made to use and enjoy ...

Nice find Honger…..cruisers found in the South of KSA, mostly Abha, are either in fantastic condition as they're well looked after, or real beaters used as work trucks or farm trucks, and have no value except the parts you can get off of them. Looks like you got yourself a very well looked after 40.

I second the split rim choice. Keep it. Throw on some 255/85/16 BFG KM2s and that will complete the look.

As for the engine block number, its next to the starter down on the side. And its imprinted into the block.

Is that FJ40LV-UC code referencing a Europe spec vehicle?

-Geoff

No, it's a General Market spec vehicle.

Nice find Honger…..cruisers found in the South of KSA, mostly Abha, are either in fantastic condition as they're well looked after, or real beaters used as work trucks or farm trucks, and have no value except the parts you can get off of them. Looks like you got yourself a very well looked after 40.

I second the split rim choice. Keep it. Throw on some 255/85/16 BFG KM2s and that will complete the look.

As for the engine block number, its next to the starter down on the side. And its imprinted into the block.

Ah, gotcha… I actually snagged a photo of that as well.
015block.jpg

Here's another quick question for everyone...

What should I do for seatbelts? I've got a 60/40 front bench and the typical rear jumpseats. I don't have a rollbar. I'm fine with lap belts only. Suggestions?

Hey Joel! I'm afraid I won't be too much help with your questions but did want to congratulate you on scoring a pretty clean truck. I know you're a diehard and have been looking for a while so good on you.

I do have the same seat configuration and here in the States, one can purchase a generic seat belt kit from most chain auto part sores for very little. That's what I did and just bolted them in where it seemed logical. I did this for the same reason... just to make it legal. I have no roll bar & keep the top off and never get going to fast. Sitting in that back jump seat, without a roof or roll bar, I believe I'd prefer to be thrown from the vehicle but I did get a ticket for an unrestrained passenger in the back and it was more than the seatbelts...

Picked up a bunch of parts recently at Al Aswar. This shop is in one of the more rural areas of the UAE and is part of a network of shops around the GCC (Saudi, Yemen, Oman, UAE, Qatar). They've even got stock of old parts that you can no longer get from Toyota.

Anyway, I picked up a new water pump, all new radiator/coolant hoses, radiator cap, side fender emblems, fuel filter, wiper blades, etc. Truck is in a local garage getting fitted with all of that now. The guys at the shop were all quite excited to see my old Land Cruiser.

025shop.jpg

Also managed to find a pretty good junk yard up in the norther Emirates… managed to snag the following items:

60-series disc hubs
018hubs.jpg

OEM windshield (the replacement in my truck now is too small at the corners)
019window.jpg

Parts for a 40-series power steering upgrade:

020column.jpg

021pumpandpulley.jpg

023steeringbox.jpg

Gotta return the pump… it's not good. He's got at least one other to give me to try.

I also pulled the old radio out of the rig…
024oldradio.jpg

Niether of the speakers worked… only the loudspeaker. Found the radio had been wired into the cigarette lighter and then I also found another wire patched in. Traced that to the fog light switch. So the fog lights were running full power through the switch that had been patched into the cigarette lighter. :bang:

Glad I caught that. Though now I'm wondering what other wiring issues I haven't found...

The PO mounted two of that middle speaker in my truck, but the wiring was a hack job. Must have been the go-to speaker in the GCC...

-Geoff

Nice 40 , great find ...
Just curious , I see it has the starting handle guide on the front bumper - any chance it has the storage clips for the starting handle along the driver's side wheel well ?? Been trying for quite awhile to find a clip to copy for reproductions....
Sarge

Nice rig! I look forward to your restoration posts.

Nice Rig congrats!

Thanks guys!

The PO mounted two of that middle speaker in my truck, but the wiring was a hack job. Must have been the go-to speaker in the GCC...

-Geoff

That seems to be the way some things work here in the GCC. "hack job" is a good phrase for all the wiring in my truck right now.

Nice 40 , great find ...
Just curious , I see it has the starting handle guide on the front bumper - any chance it has the storage clips for the starting handle along the driver's side wheel well ?? Been trying for quite awhile to find a clip to copy for reproductions....
Sarge

You and I have already had this conversation via PM. =) I sadly don't have the clips, but I'm on the look out for them in my junk yard wanderings. Like you I'd like to have the full crank-start appurtenances.

A log of sorts... for future reference.

Radiator flushed and coolant replaced.
Water pump replaced.
Main coolant hoses replaced.
OEM Factor steering installed.
Oil changed... and changed again after running for 15 minutes.
Transmission, Transfer Case, Differential oil changed.
Compression checked.

Not sure I'm so wild about the power steering. It works great... too great. I'd gotten used to the manual steering and the fact that I could feel everything in the road directly through the steering wheel. Now I can't feel a thing. Hmmm...

Compression values:
1 - 125
2 - 120
3 - 120
4 - 120
5 - 125
6 - 120

I'm quite happy with those values.

Compression looks good.

As for PS, I noticed that in the beginning as well. The steering seemed flightily. But trust me, it beats no PS when the weather is hot and you have to make a U turn from a standing start. You'll be very glad to have it.

Post up more pics. Thats all we care about!

Lol @boozewz comments! Pics pics pics!

Great find and great start - good luck and will be following your build :)

Ps - could you post contact info of Al Aswar - any idea if they have a shop in Dubai? Need a few 100 series parts and futtaim is a rip off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom