Foam between body panels/hinges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Pro's and con's to putting some sort of water resistant foam between the ambulance door hinges and where they attach to the door and body? I bought what I think are OEM pads for the hood hinges so I'm guessing it's a good idea to add something similar to the ambulance doors. I'd like to protect the paint especially since I will be most likely removing the top and doors each year and the body work and paint were by far the single most expensive thing on my restoration.

If the hinges were mounted to the vehicle when it was painted, you might want to very carefully cut the paint 'seal' between the hinges and body with a razor blade before you remove the hinge, lest you peel off a big slab of paint from the truck when you remove the hinge. This will ruin your day. I would vote for thin, firm rubber or nothing. You're in Utah, so rust shouldn't be a huge issue.

I have spent way to much time on sandblasting, prepping, epoxy paint and then final paint not to be concerned about cosmetics. I bought some 1/8 rubber off flea bay that I use to cut out and use as gaskets behind the hinges. Even when I fix a section on my beater I try to fix it as correctly as I can. For me it is part of the satisfaction and enjoyment of wrenching on stuff.

I think I found a material very similar to the hood hinge gasket at McMaster Carr. A little pricey for a 12x12 sheet. I’ll post up a picture of the actual material Friday. Should be able to fabricate something for the front and rear hinges.

I used Rustoleum Rusty metal primer, then rubberized undercoating over that, on both the sheet metal and hinges.

Good question, as my rig has some flaking resulting from a substandard paint job, and the vulnerability at those spots.

My bigger concern would be a seized fastener that is holding the hinge, as welding nuts on for removal would ruin the paint's day pretty quick.

If you are going to gasket the hinge surface, you should also gasket the screw that is holding it on, otherwise you have water entering, but not really evaporating or draining.

My strategy would be to use axle grease on the screws going into the tub and hardtop. And, apply Boeshield (paraffin) on the seam (like every time you wax the finish), the seam between the running board and the rocker, the hood and windshield latches, etc; any metal to metal (or painted metal to painted metal surface).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom