FJ80 White smoke plus....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Hope you are all doing well. I need some help, I purchased my second LC the other day. It's a 91 FJ80. No smoke when I test drove it but... When I started to work this morning (about 45 degrees outside) the motor turned over for 30 seconds or so before firing up. When it did crake it blew out lots of white smoke for a few minutes. No smoke for the rest of the ride nor when I cranked it up after work. I have noticed the exhaust smells rather strong. Motor has about 80k miles on it. Wondering if it burning transmission fluid? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Hope you are all doing well. I need some help, I purchased my second LC the other day. It's a 91 FJ80. No smoke when I test drove it but... When I started to work this morning (about 45 degrees outside) the motor turned over for 30 seconds or so before firing up. When it did crake it blew out lots of white smoke for a few minutes. No smoke for the rest of the ride nor when I cranked it up after work. I have noticed the exhaust smells rather strong. Motor has about 80k miles on it. Wondering if it burning transmission fluid? Thanks!

If you are "burning transmission fluid" (as in through the engine out the exhaust) you have bigger problems than we can help with here. ;)

IF you mean....is transmission fluid leaking from somewhere and burning on the exhaust system (exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe, catalytic converter), then yes, that is 'possible' but highly unlikely.

Most likely....you have some oil getting past the valve guide seals (when the engine is at rest for a long period) and it burns off when you start the engine. It will smoke for awhile....then abate.

Any other cause for white smoke from your exhaust (unburned fuel, coolant) will usually be constant. Also, it is natural for your exhaust to exhibit some 'vapor' (especially in cold weather) until it warms up. This can look like 'smoke' but is actually steam like vapor.

When I got mine, it was hard to crank up. Turns out the "CSI Timer Switch" was bad. I cleaned the injector itself for good measure.

Also, let's hang out.

Most likely you have oil getting past the valve seals as @flintknapper stated. It sits so it is most noticeable at startup. Also, with it being cold it is more noticeable.

My 92 smokes a bit at start up. Such is life.

Unless you are losing coolant (as in your coolant level is going down), I wouldn't worry about it. Head Gasket issues are incredibly rare on the mighty 3FE!

That would be an interesting trick.
Read somewhere that The modulator hooks to a vacuum line that goes to the intake, so if there is a leak in the modulator, it will pull fluid into the intake, and will cause it to burn, therefore creating smokey exhaust

Thanks for the input. Not so worried about the white smoke right now. More worried about the engine tuning over but not cranking. I may start with a new set of plugs.

Read somewhere that The modulator hooks to a vacuum line that goes to the intake, so if there is a leak in the modulator, it will pull fluid into the intake, and will cause it to burn, therefore creating smokey exhaust
I'm not aware of anything like that. There's just a cable from the throttle plate.

What modulator, what liquid, and how would transmission fluid get into the intake? That would be a neat trick.

Thanks for the input. Not so worried about the white smoke right now. More worried about the engine tuning over but not cranking. I may start with a new set of plugs.

OK, not to be the 'terms' police, but your engine IS 'cranking' it is NOT 'starting'.

I wouldn't throw spark plugs at it until you figure out if you have a 'spark' issue or a 'fuel' issue.

IF the engine is not starting or taking a long time to start, then clearly you have a problem....BUT the cause(s) can be numerous.

I'd start with scanning it and see if there are any codes stored. Unless you have really deep pockets.....I wouldn't just replace suspected parts although spark plugs (as a matter of maintenance) wouldn't be a bad thing to replace if you don't know the history of the vehicle, but don't expect that to cure your problem necessarily.

Ok, so I guess I doubt that it is transmission fluid burning, but I don't really know the 3fe very well. I'd listen to those that know the 3fe and are willing to help. @LS1FJ40 has had his since new, so I am going with his point, likely valve seals. Keep an eye on it and report back. I bet she wont leave you stranded or anything like that.

Ok. So it is physically impossible for transmission fluid to get in to the motor. I mean, I guess it's "possible" if it spit out the transmission dipstick and flew up in the air and there was a crack in the intake and it pulled it in...

Cold start injector. It takes 5 minutes to pull it, clean it off with carb cleaner, and reinsert it. That would be my first step, personally. I had a similar condition on my 92 and it solved it.

I would also check out @jonheld's tune up guide. Replace all plugs, wires, distributor cap, PCV and grommet. Use OEM.

Just go ahead and print out every post @jonheld has made here and put it in a binder. It is better than the FSM anyway.

That WAS true way back in the good ol days. I had a 78 Impala wagon that decided to start leaking badly that way just hours after I sold it to a neighbor. I bought it back, figured it out and fixed it, then sold it for a lot more $$. My lucky day, I guess?

There's about 6 good ones. The rest is crap.

I think you've posted some GREAT crap!

We all especially enjoy the 7-PIN mod!!!!!!

Yes, I stated it that way on purpose......just to piss you off!:flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom