FJ80 Gearing and tyres (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently purchased a 1992 FJ80 with 35" tyres and 4.88 diff gears. I have also fitted a Marks 4WD part time 4WD hub kit.

It drives great, especially since the Mark's kit was installed.

I am planning to drive around the USA over 6-8 months, so plenty of miles both on and off road.

My question is I am considering fitting 33" tyres, so has anyone driven with this tyre/gear combination, and if so what are you thoughts?

33" vs 35"?
Downsize or go large?

FYI current tyres are Toyo MT open country 35x12.5R20

Thanks in advance.

image.jpeg

You're good.
Plenty of people here recommend 4.88 for a "normal" size tire 33/35".
With the 33" setup you will be slightly in under drive, meaning more power, poor MPG perhaps. Good for going uphill and such.

I like to have the 33"s for on road, and 35"s for off road.
I am not regeared yet. But will consider 4.88 over 4.56 as many who have done it, advise us.

Some prefer stock gears with 35"s as they get the benefit of overdrive on the highway. Low RPM and better MPG. I think @Qball is in this camp IIRC.

Last edited:
Probably better for the smaller motor anyway. Im sure youll be loaded.

I have a 97 with 4.88 and 35s. Before I put 35s on, I had 33s. Revs were high and mileage was low. 35s were better for mileage with the lower gearing in my experience.

Ha yes, car is absolutely mint thanks, borderline flawless. Found it in Oregon and shipped it to Florida.

Rims Either getting swapped out or a can of matte black for sure! Hence my enquiry now. If I change down to 33" then I can get a spare underneath, and future replacement of cost and ease of sourcing on a 17" rim is better. I Just want to be sure if the gearing/ driving experience won't be significantly affected.

except for the ghetto rims.

Usually people move up to 35" and above as they are more inclined into off roading. 33"s a really good compromise on road/off road depending on how aggressive the thread is.
I run Michelins 33" LTX which are really made for on pavement, but I take off road too and did not really complain much about them. Not even air down. So you will love how peppy the car will be on 33"s and 4.88 gears.

80 is very capable and can make up for the lack of it's owner's judgement.

I'm on 37's with my 96', and just put in 4.88s recently, and I'm a bit over geared and I like it. I can go 85 all day down the freeway if I ant to, but the rooms are a bit high. If I go 65/70 and stay to the #3 or 4 lane, my mpg is much better than hauling ass down the highway. I agree that it's easier to source a 33 vs 35 when out and about across the country, but the gearing might be too low. May e find a buddy with some 33's and do a test run before such a big commitment. Those 35's look great, I'd run them, get a spare, and do something about them wheels as well. They're rather, gangster!

Nice 80! If your going to be driving the mountain roads of the western states like Colorado, Wyoming and Montana the 33s are a good choice. With a loaded down 80, long up hill stretchs like I 70 out of Denver and added elevation of 9000 thousand feet plus your 80 could be struggling.

I spent two years in Wyoming, and drove back and forth to California every three months in a 1980pu with a 20R and a 4spd, and I'll attest those long hills are killers. Been down I-70 too, those hills are even worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom