FJ62 vs. a bull in Peru of all countries... (spoiler: bull dies) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm stoked with all the comments. Good wishes, suggestions and whatmore. Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate that this site isn't like Facebook. A lot of a**holes there gave me s***. For driving on a highway in a city and hitting a bull. Wtf am I supposed to do?

@White Stripe no it's pretty hard to find parts down here. The mechanic from today however told me he could get a new headlight without the plastic chrome around it for tomorrow. 10$ he said. Said yes please! Going back tomorrow

@89GASHOG yes you're right. And yes, a bull bar would be awesome. Got an offer on a ARB bull bar today. 2000$ USD. My travel budget can't cover that, so for now I'll make sure not to drive in the night.

@OSS I will put my signature on that statement. Drove here from LA. A crooked cop tried to rob me in Mazatlan, Mexico. A cop on a scooter. Who can take that serious anyway?

@lcwizard you're right. Cows mine, I think I however got a pretty serious discount because he's keep the cow. He started on 4000$ Peruvian soles (1300 USD). Got pretty mad when he threw that price at me.

@gashog Id love the round lights. The first mechanic I went to today asked for too much to fix it, but he had this beauty in his shop. He did the Dakar race in it. He also showed me the 400hp LS3, V8 he was going to put in it. Pretty jealous. Driving a 3FE.
IMG_20180209_113321-1008x756.jpg

@scwill yes it sucks to pay for his mistake. The bull wasn't chilling by itself on a field. He was dragging it along a highway and couldn't control it when it ran across and smashed my car. Thanks for the wishes!

@madvr6 you're totally right. I'm lucky I didn't go to jail. Our first move was to make Facebook and Instagram posts and to contact our embassies because we're from countries where public attention works. It turns out it works differently here. Here the police could take advantage of that to show how tuff motherfu***rs they are, and jail me for five years. I should probably be pretty happy with 150USD then. Thanks a lot for the wishes. I am pretty jealous of the awesome work I see here on this site too!

I'm pretty sure they have open range laws here too, but not in city areas where this happened. The police were yelling at the farmer. I talked to a guy from Arizona today who've been living here 20 years. He says I'm very lucky that they didn't take all that I had. Guess 150$ is cheap off. I had to threaten with lawyers, embassies and whatmore to make them go this low though.

As an update as to how the patient is, I found a mechanic today who helped me out a lot. Had to go through four different though. He pulled the worst dends out with an old jack and a crowbar. And it worked pretty well. We took off the front right screen and hammered it with a hammer and piece of wood. Not looking Superfly, but it will get me to Argentina! We laughed a lot together all though I don't speak Spanish. When I asked for a price he said it was for free. What a guy. He was helping me for five hours with two buddies. Going back there tomorrow to install a new headlight and fix the hood.

We can now use the doors on the right side of the car again. Much appreciated. I'm going to get some measuting tape tomorrow and go through the measurements of the frame (from the FSM) and make sure that nothing's bent out of shape that the eye don't see.

IMG_20180209_172254-400x300.jpg

IMG_20180209_155934-400x300.jpg

IMG_20180209_155453-400x300.jpg

IMG_20180209_171811-300x400.jpg

Reactions: OSS
You better know how to clean a cow, no processing plant will take a dead cow that cant walk in on its own. Find you a tractor, saw zaw, sharp blades, beer, and a couple buddies. Ribeyes on the grill in no time.
Just need a truck with Gin Pole, you can hang the carcass and let it bleed out then you can start cutting. That’s how it’s done here in NM. Been there, done that.

I spent more time in remote towns in the Andes than Lima but thing that impressed me about Peruvian mechanics was the innovation. They can keep things running with very little resources.
I saw one garage where they simply cut off the end of an arm to weld on a ball joint from something else.
I’m sure they can fix the 62 and probably quite well at a fraction of the price youd pay here.

Saw this on the pan am Facebook page. I was the wiseacre that wrote it's a land Cruiser get it back on the road and Grill some steaks.

Hope you dodged the potential legal woes.

@White Stripe I tried to give them money, they wouldn't accept it. So I asked what they liked to drink. I'm going back there today with all the "Inka cola" they can drink.

@umpqua you're totally right that this calls
for steaks. I've been trying to find thick cut good steaks all through southamSouth sofar. It hasn't been too easy. All I've been able to find was thinking cut non-tender stuff. I think they export most of the good stuff. Can't wait for Argentina!

Hey fellas,

So here's a little update. We're now able to open both doors in right side nicely. Just came back from the garage after my second day there. Three guys working on it again today. I insisted on them accepting money this time. They accepted 30 USD and some pop for total 30-50 working hours divided between three guys. Good people. They straightened out the hood by cutting the supporting arms under it up, hammering it, and welding it back together.

The AC will not be working the rest of our trip. The bull f***ed one of the connections to the receiver up (is my theory), so there is a leak. It's estimated to cost 100 USD to fix. No bueno.

They used welding wire to copy the shape of the hood in the left side and "project" to the right side. Neat little trick. We found new headlights for 10 USD. Don't think that I will be able to find the chrome plastic frame though. However I am going to pull over every time I see an FJ60/62 on my way to Argentina and ask if he has spares.

We will leave Lima, Peru, one of the next days, and continue to Bolivia. I still think that I am going to ship my 62 to Denmark once I am done. Spare parts will be impossible to find there, but I don't care. Love this truck. And it deserves a thorough fix.

IMG_20180210_093028-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180210_093337-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180210_095228-600x800.jpg
IMG_20180210_101215-800x600.jpg
IMG_20180210_134908-800x600.jpg

This is certainly one of the better stories I've read on Mud. The Land Cruiser community knows no borders. Good for you to not give up on the truck.

Onward.....

We will leave Lima, Peru, one of the next days, and continue to Bolivia. I still think that I am going to ship my 62 to Denmark once I am done. Spare parts will be impossible to find there, but I don't care. Love this truck. And it deserves a thorough fix..

If you ship to Denmark,consider removing the AC hardware and installing a transmission cooler. That's what I've done here in Alaska, where AC is never used. Yes, the truck may venture into territory where AC could be helpful, but I don't care-will just roll down the windows.

@89GASHOG That's a good idea. Especially as it's cold af aost of the time in Denmark too. Not by Alaska standards though. However I'm lucky that one of the previous owners did install a tranny cooler for me. I'm a lucky dude!

So today I got a little worried. Came out to a big pool of coolant under the car. F***!!! Though the bull didn't mess up that part! Well let's get to it. There's no procrastinating when your car is your home and you want to be in Argentina by March. It looked like the leak was from a connection in the bottom corner.

I don't have a shop to do repairs in, so I basically just do them on the street of wherever we are.
Installed split charging system outside a hostel in Panama City.
Painted left front screen at a campsite on Columbia. And a lot more. It leads to some funny conversations now and then.

Well back to the job. Before I get started there's a couple of things that must be done...

Beers in the fridge...
IMG_20180213_125355-640x480.jpg

Street setup...
IMG_20180213_125435-640x480.jpg

Sun protection. Toyota of course!
IMG_20180213_125408-480x640.jpg

After that I wanted to turn the car on to check if it made it more obvious where the leak was. Car won't start... Damn... Happy I have my switch and splitcharging system. Combine batteries and voila!

IMG_20180213_125647-480x640.jpg

I realised saw, that the hose was cut pretty funny and that was the sinner.

IMG_20180213_131941-480x640.jpg

Haha! Easy fix! Get out the Leatherman and cut again.

Hey man, my girl is from Lima and her cousin is a mechanic, if you need a contact shoot me a message and I'll try and get you guys linked up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom