FJ62 Radio Wiring Harness Mystery - Pioneer receiver attempt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, poked around trying to see if someone else has run into this but no luck so opening it up to masses.

I'm trying to install a Pioneer MVH-X380BT single din receiver. Currently, have an empty black hole in my dash.

Hole + wiring mess:

I picked up a wiring harness for an FJ62, the Metra 70-1761, a single din mount, and dove in. Quickly realized there's a mix of old wire, new wire, crimped on crimped wiring, and even a previous wiring harness. No idea what's what.

Some shots of what I mean:
IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_8994.JPG

My naivety became clear when I got the Metra wiring harness in. I assume it would pop into the black connector above, then crimped with the Pioneer harness, and beers would be consumed over some tunes.

Not quite sure where to go from here. If I cut out all that mess. How do I know what wire goes to what? "Purple wire to the front left negative speaker" for example. I looked in my original manual and FSM but no luck. And even then wouldn't I need a male end to connect to the Metra harness? Any ideas?

For reference, the Metra harness(s):
IMG_1599.JPG

The smaller Metra harness on the right does fit a male connector in the dash(picture second from the top shows it).

Cheers and thanks for any wisdom here. Definitely need it.

Finding that kind of mess in the dash of a 60/62 is quite normal, figure 25 plus years of people adding radios etc.

You will not like my advice. I'd install the radio as a stand alone, all new wiring, even into the doors and to the rear speakers. I do not trust any of that old wiring much at all once it has been cut up like what you are showing.

Just one guy's opinion.

Thanks @NCFJ While I was walking my dog this morning I had the same thought. In the end, I just need a receiver that allows me to connect with my iphone (play podcasts and audiobooks on long road trips). Nowadays, radio stations are useless for me. Hell, even if I got that mess figured out in the dash, I have no idea if the speakers in the car even work.

I'll keep an eye out for some speaker sales and run new wiring myself. Good learning experience. haha

Yea someone did you wrong, that sucks.
People taking sh*tty shortcuts suck!

I had a similar adapter for a Pioneer I installed years ago. Just installed another new head unit and was able to snip off my old crimps and reuse the adapter. This time I used the screw on wire connectors so in the future the adapter doesn't have to be snipped down anymore.
Glad to be running factory still.

Painless 7 circuit aux fuse box is a nice way to add stuff.

Well, hot diggity dog! We might have enough for a party. I'll dive in the dash with the color code in hand and see what trouble I can get into. Appreciate that @4Cruisers

The Metra harness is intended to snap onto untouched OEM plugs that go into the radio. You then need to match and crimp the loose ends of the Metra with the Pioneer loose ends.

OEM to Metra crimped to Pioneer to radio

I agree with NCFJ that its often better to start fresh with a stand alone circuit. It is very convenient to grab the keyed power lead off the OEM.

FYI - Most double DIN radios screw directly to the OEM mounts hanging from the dash. Its very simple to install without needing any bezels or custom fab.

The holes on the side of the radio match many years of Toyota radios. The bracket from the dash frame to the radio that is special. Not sure anything but the FJ62 used it. As for the wiring I would see if could get the two plugs and Length of wire from someone parting the same year FJ62. Split that to your cut harness and your set from now on. Owned mine for years and have changed radios a few times but always with a Toyota unit. Do have one of those adapters just in case decide to go aftermarket at some point. Currently using a 2001 Tundra with a 6CD changer. This a premium unit with a separate amplifier. Still plug and play. If I really want to upgrade the system would run new wiring to the speakers and new heavier to the main power feed. The one off the ignition switch and dash light should be fine.

With the diagram from @4Cruisers I was able to splice and crimp everything together. Got power in the unit and working nicely. Couldn't get anything from the speakers.. so thought maybe I missed something or there was a ground short somewhere... started poking around. Beginning with the speakers.. turns out.. no speakers. PO removed everything, haha. I'm an idiot. Going to table this for now until I can grab some cheap speakers and will just rewire everything from scratch as mentioned above. Thanks for all the help!

One thing I ran into that I have no idea what it is. Tried a google reverse image search no luck. Looks like it'd function as a fuse.
weird_module_fuse.JPG

Any ideas?

Looks like an in line fuse. If I remember right they usually go on the wire that gets constant voltage for the clock and memory. Strong work! Bummer about the speakers!

Some decent, inexpensive 5-1/4" 2-way speakers for the front doors are Pioneer TS-G1345R. They are shallow speakers so they fit inside the factory door panels and clear the windows when they're lowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom