Builds FJ45SWB recovered from a barn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those were port installed with rusty bolts. Look like the old school driveway markers on a steel rod?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

Not around my box of old reflectors. I do believe the reflector with a steel frame were Stratolite. Aluminum frame were something else but name wasn't that different. 64 I believe they were now being installed in Japan and using Koito reflectors.

s***, I think I discarded them.
Both were AL framed, held on w/ rusty sheetmetal screws. Looked like a backyard mod, but now I'm guessing port/dealer installed. Hopefully something new can be found to install w/ SS screws

FJ40Jim said:
You're from AZ?
Missing something?:confused:

It's mine, I took found it, you can't take it back :crybaby:

I've drafted a Bill. It's called The Cruisercare Bill (soon to be a The Cruisercare Act). It will forbid anyone to take a Cruiser east of I-25. It will benefit everyone. Now I just need the House to pass it....that shouldn't be hard, should it?

Just giving you a heads-up Jim so you can start making plans to send that beauty back home.

Hope That Bill hasn't Pased yet. We would surely be declared Outlaws and Most Wanted Gringos. We are on I-25:steer: Headed to Ballon Fest then on to the Cruiser Crawl in Hot Springs:steer: And Yes we took some of the GOLD!!!--- PURE OUTLAWS:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

2013 Oct Favorite Lunchtime Counter.jpg

2013 Oct Brice up Close 2.jpg

2013 Oct Joshua Tree 2.jpg

2013 Oct Lucy Utah.jpg

2013 Oct New Mexico.jpg

:cheers:Final Home Atlanta, Ga P.S. NICE FIND:cheers:

Progress?
Well, a pile of engine parts has appeared, but isn't even on the engine stand yet. Been busy building carbs and transmissions & transfer case for real customers.

I went out and took a look at the ID plate on the firewall.
Does this tell us anything noteworthy:

Last edited:
Looks like FJ40Jim's truck is a late 1962 while D'Animal's truck is a '63. Clue being the "2" in front of the frame number in one and the "3" in the other frame number. But I certainly don't claim to be knowledgeable in early Cruiser lore...

Nick

Dan's 63 and my 62 look a lot alike to me: centered rear axle, external spare tire rack, no WS hinge plates, early door latches, etc.
The frame numbers are only 1004 apart.
Engine numbers are 1021 apart.

Dan's truck has the original 1963 dissy, but a dealer replacement 1975-ish 1bbl carb.

Progress?
Well, a pile of engine parts has appeared, but isn't even on the engine stand yet. Been busy building carbs and transmissions & transfer case for real customers.

It means I can add it to the list when I get on a real computer.

Progress?

The 63s had a steel plate instead of a windshield hinge. The 62s had the corner of the w/s frame and the cowl welded together.

My first peek at this thread. Subscribed.

Mark A.

Hijack on. Think you can make it to GSMTR? I've already booked tickets. Man I could sure use a dopplebock fix!

/hijack.:)

Been cleaning up the shop and decided that all of these FJ45 parts would take up less pace if they were assembled. Not much to report yet, but the crank, rod&pistons, block, head, manifolds were all scattered around the building. Now they are bolted together where possible. Progress is temporarily halted because the donor used cam had 2 lobes that measured 37.9x mm, and the min spec is 38.00 mm. I was sorely tempted to run the cam, but then found out that Delta will regrind a cam for $60, and reface a set of lifters for $30. So for $90 I will wait a few weeks and then can finish installing cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, VC, timing cover, oil pump, pan....

DSC09273.JPG

UPS delivered a newly reground cam & lifters today during the blizzard. The cam looks like new. The lifters don't look like new, they have a tumbled finish maybe? Definitely have a softer finish than brand new parts. When the windchill gets into positive territory I'll get some pics of new parts going into the engine.

Threw some parts at the engine.

Reground cam & lifters. Just wanted to show the paint code from Delta, in case somebody tries to sell you a 'performance' cam.
DSC09308.JPG

With a cam & lifters in hand, all the valve train is installed. Timing plate, camshaft, timing cover. Then the lifters, pushrods & rocker assembly is installed. Parts are the best ones from 1986-87. Starting to look more like an engine.
DSC09301.JPG

Dressed it up with a few more clean parts.
DSC09309.JPG

Now it's about as dressed as it's gonna get. Next parts are engine management system: carb & dissy. But the shop is weeks behind on that work, so it will be a long while before I get around to building my own shtufff.
DSC09324.JPG

I know a guy who does good carb and dizzy work ... oh wait :doh:

Yep-this is like the cobbler's children going to school barefoot.

Need a few small parts for early engine:
Temp sender unit (83420-20010) and the tall socket it sits in (90404-16164).
Oil pressure idiot light switch.

Both parts are different from later (1970s era) stuff.
LMK if you got one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom