FJ45 Wheel Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am looking at some wheel options for my 64 FJ45. Previous owner changed the axels out for some 77' FJ40 axels, not sure if that makes a difference. One option is the OEM black steelies with the hubcaps or possibly the rims that come on the icon FJ45, they look like black American racing rims. Does anyone know if the rims on the icon rims will fit directly on my 45 without spacers or modifications? I would prefer to go back to a stock size rim and run BFG mud terrain 33x10.5xr15 tires.
Thanks for any help with this matter.

IMG_0465.PNG

Would recommend racer65`s
16" Wheels / Rims
Strong Buy :)
"
DEFINITION of 'Strong Buy'
A type of stock purchasing recommendation given by analysts for a stock that is expected to dramatically outperform the average market return and/or the return of comparable stocks in the same sector or industry. It is an analyst's emphatic endorsement of a stock. "
Cheers
Peter

black OEM with caps gets my vote from your options.

That American Racing wheel is very likely avail in a size to fit your 45 but probably not stock skinny. Not like you would be buying directly from TLC, that pic shows a 6 lug but not sure what the dana axle ends he uses measure out to.

another cheap option is a set of FJC steelies. in 17 or 16'' which will allow a ~33x~10 options
and you get to show off the FF rear axle ;)

oem still avail new....
IMG_0351.JPG

FJC steelies
IMG_2663.JPG

Love to have a set of the 16" OEM copy wheel City Racer has, but they are not cheap(not that they are over priced)

If I had just 1 cruiser I'd probably go that way, but with 4 or 5 40s 45's , 60's that run 33x10.5's, I like the OEM 15" wheels on 40/
45,they are a good buy IMOP and we are lucky to still be able to get them, they won't be around for ever.

Yes, some worry there are less and less tire options in 15" which is true. But there are a ton of rigs running 15's and I'd expect 33x10.5 to be around for some time.

Another 16 option(and cheapish) are the almost stock looking wheel vitiques (I butchered the name)

For the price, the ARE Mojaves are hard to beat. The back spacing is a bit off for the front if you are running the newer front axles with disc brakes, so I had to use 1/8" spacers.

It's a modern look, even in the 15" size (I'm running 33"x12.5"-15" tires), so you have to decide if that's the look you really want vs. OEM steelies and hubcaps.

Here's a photo of my late '79 FJ40 and I installed the Mojaves <2 months ago.

(You'll have to look past the wrong color on the halfdoors. Jacka$$ blind painter that insists it matches.)

Last edited:
I would prefer to go back to a stock size rim and run BFG mud terrain 33x10.5xr15 tires. Thanks for any help with this matter.

As you want to run 15s I'd go OE with caps all the way, an economical route as well. City Racer's wheels are the tuna for guys looking to run 16s.

Checked out a few different wheels a while back. Besides the stock wheels with the later hub caps, tried the 1st/2nd gen. 4Runner/mini truck/FJ80 and 3rd gen. 4Runner. Really like the 3rd gen. 4Runner wheels on my 99 4Runner but don't think they look that good on a 45. Restored with later doors think the other wheels would look good. Not sure when those wheels started but close to period correct.

IMG_2464.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2475.JPG

Checked out a few different wheels a while back. Besides the stock wheels with the later hub caps, tried the 1st/2nd gen. 4Runner/mini truck/FJ80 and 3rd gen. 4Runner. Really like the 3rd gen. 4Runner wheels on my 99 4Runner but don't think they look that good on a 45. Restored with later doors think the other wheels would look good. Not sure when those wheels started but close to period correct.

View attachment 1555491 View attachment 1555495 View attachment 1555496

What did you do with the rims in the first picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom