FJ40 Wire Harness Reference - September 1976 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anyone wants to go back and delete out their "chat" messages in this thread that would be ok... it will make it easier to sort through the useful information later.
Thanks,
mark

Mainly wanted to thank Woytovich for hosting the harness pics and everyone who has helped identify wires. I’ve been crawling under my dash replacing non OEM colored wire and terminals with coolerman’s stuff.

Picture below is my 76 harness(built 12/75)

Thought I’d point out my harness doesn’t have a WB wire w/ female spade for cigarette lighter. The 76 schematic I have shows in 76 dash ground was used. Perhaps Woytovich’s harness was a late 76 due to the fact it has a dedicated WB for Cig lighter.:meh:

My cigarette housing does have a male spade for ground so I may tap into the dash pad light ground. Would that be an improvement? Let me know if it’s not:slap::D
279BCD3E-55BE-420F-8E89-02150A26D14C.jpeg

Ah. This looks familiar given mine came off the assembly line a month after yours. I fully agree the high res @woytovich posted in this thread was immensely helpful given all the "upgrades" the PO made to mine. I've got all those upgrades fixed now. There were some subtle differences in my 1/76 from the one woytovich posted. From the looks of it, yours has the same differences.

7 or 8 (probably 8): whichever one is an all black wire it's the idle solenoid, #55 in attached file. My 1/76 has #56, 57 (MIA vacuum switch on mine) & 57b bundled together. Mine also has the idle solenoid coupled with the other 2 sensor wires in the green connector like yours. The PO had used the extra RF connector on the voltage regulator to power the idle solenoid, and it wasn't until I noticed i had a bare unused wire dangling next to the water temp sensor that I decided to track down why. Honestly I still don't know why he did that because it worked fine after adding a new terminal and reconnecting to the carb.
9: water temp sensor i believe
on mine, either 7 or 8 (the not all black one) is also connected to another sensor in the top of the head, but I've never looked closely to see what it is. My engine was swapped out with a '79.
5: yep - radio

Also, I'm 99% sure my doesn't have grounds #52 or 58, but I'll have to check tomorrow to be sure. It has all the other grounds in waytovich's image. I can't recall if it has the WB ground wire on the cig lighter - i'll have to check that too.

Last edited:
So the original radio wasn't switched? It was always on?
No, it was a positive feed line from the switched or accessory portion of the fuse box. I think earlier versions were on a shared circuit with the wipers, later versions had their own fuse. But if you're putting in a modern stereo that also needs an 'always hot' feed for the radio memory then there's likely a extra unused tab on the back of your fuse panel to plug right into. It'd be on the cig lighter/interior lights fuse.

No, it was a positive feed line from the switched or accessory portion of the fuse box. I think earlier versions were on a shared circuit with the wipers, later versions had their own fuse. But if you're putting in a modern stereo that also needs an 'always hot' feed for the radio memory then there's likely a extra unused tab on the back of your fuse panel to plug right into. It'd be on the cig lighter/interior lights fuse.
ok, so "Radio B+" is not a feed from the battery, but is actually an I/O on the same fuse that is connected to the Wiper power which is switched with the ignition.

I'm still curious about #59. Coolerman says VSV or "top switch" but my color codes don't match up. Also the blue/black wire goes to the rear harness 6 pin plug.

Can you tell me what #41 "Key Switch" is for? And also, what is terminal #64 used for? thanks
That would be the ignition switch. If you look at the spreadsheet in this LINK #64 is for the horn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom