Fj40 V8 Swap

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by MANUELCHILE, Jul 19, 2005.

1. MANUELCHILE

MANUELCHILE

Hi everyone

Don`t ask why, but I decide to swap my 2F for a Chevy V8, now I`m nearly close to buy a standar 283 Chevy, but some friend insist that the 283 is too "small" for my TLC and I should use a biger one (307, 350) as some of you know a lot more than me about those TLC matters, what`s your advice or opinion about the better small block Chevy V8 for the FJ40. I mean any V8 could be used or only the "big ones"?.

It`s for off road, mud, rocks, snow. my TLC is 80', 4 speeds, 33x12.50 mud terrain tires.

Thanks a lot and regards

Manuel

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome.

Install a later 350, preferably one that is throttle body, and be done with it.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. andrewfarmer

andrewfarmer

I am asking - what's wrong with the 2F and what are you hoping to acheive with the swap?

4. 80fj40

80fj40

Well IMHO if you're going to do a swap, do a big swap. Like for all the work of swapping an engine, make it worth it and go big.

5. dgangle

dgangle total rice

Uh, like have some power :rolleyes:

6. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    only way to go 350 baby

7. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Media:
    I'd say build the 2F up.
    2F's can make plenty of power for an FJ40.

8. Rice

Rice

Media:
    Albums:
    If your decision is to go to the trouble of doing a swap then a 283 is a waste of time. Outside of a 282 being a little nicer on fuel, a little easier on parts, and a little easier to cool here are some things to consider:

1. A little nicer on fuel? It's a cruiser ... outside of a putting in a diesel you're screwed in this department.

2. A little easier on parts? It's a cruiser ... If yours has a 2F it's a 75+ and has no parts a stock 350 can easily tear up until you get into big tires and locked diffs.

3. A little easier to cool? Built right the first time you will not have cooling issues. Half a** swaps with little care towards dumping heat are a pain and no fun to drive. You can't enjoy your cruiser if all your time is worrying about how hot it's getting ... do it right.

9. dgangle

dgangle total rice

I quess that is all a matter of perspective. Not to turn this into a 2F/350 debate but I wonder if people making these statement have actually ever DROVE an FJ with a small block and if they did and didn't like it they must be skeered. :crybaby:

10. Tigerstripe40

Tigerstripe40

Media:
    Yup.
    Several.
    And yeah, I think they are fun.

But a properly built 2F has plenty of power imho.

11. dgangle

dgangle total rice

Cool. I respect your opinion.

Wow that took allot of me to say that. I must be in a 'nice' mood.

No seriously, it all depends on what you want. I am a power freak and gas milage be damned. I ride a GSXR1000, my wife drives a V8 Exploder and we cruise the rivers in our 454 Cobalt.

12. bustanutley

bustanutley

13. MANUELCHILE

MANUELCHILE

I'm Clear, Thanks To All !!!!!!!!

Thanks every one

Anyway why I want to do the swap?? because my 2F it's a mess, only 3 cylinders are working, chilean toyota spares are expensive and I have the chance to buy a very cheap V8, I mean for half the money I could do the swap.

And finally a couple of tlc V8 owners friends, in some way, convince me to do the swap.

I was very happy with the 2F while it was working well, and belive me it has been a very tought decision.

Well thank you all

Bye Manuel

14. lone gunman

lone gunman

if going small block go 305 or 350 or build 383 stroker its a little more $$$ but tons of torque but then you may have issues with other things (T/cases or heat) i wouldnt waist my time on a 283 or 307 not enough torque. the 283 can be a great race motor (hi revs especially if balanced) but i went 350 good torque, crawls well. and on ocassion it has scared me but only when being stupid raciing the rice burnners, yes i know its a cruiser not a race car but its fun pissing off the little kids in there hot rodded hondas etc. and as Poser said if you can find one go throttle body injection, thats what i am looking into but i only have about 15 K on my 350 so it may be a while unless i find a deal. good luck with it!

15. David Clayton

David Clayton

the bigger the better

Get the largest cubic inch small block you can find Like a sb400 but don't go over .0030 on the bore or she may run hot. If it's in you budget go for the 5.7 (Stock 350 length) or 6.0 rods they help the torque # and make it easer on the cylinder walls than the shorter stock 400 rod. If you can't find a 400 block go for the 383 I'm leaning this way for my fj. 400's are as rare as hens teeth around here. Remember to make power you need cubic inches or cubic dollars.

16. hammerhead

hammerhead

Even a "small" V8 is better than a dead truck. I ran a 305 for almost a year while setting up a 350 built for torque. During that time I was able to debug the rest of the setup. Power steering, SOA, etc, etc... When my built engine was ready it was a simple case of drop in and only took a few hours.

BTW, I did blow the 305 to smithereens before I took it out...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  17. 80fj40

80fj40

You said it. I'd go with a 400 over a 383 ... GM never really made a production 383 as far as I know and it'll likely be cheaper to build a 400 ... added bonus = more cubes. As for over heating issues, lots of room in front of a V8 Cruiser to take care of that.

Realistically though, I'd just put in a plain 'ol stock 350 thats a known good runner for the conversion. Then I'd buy a second engine, build it up and swap it in later (ie: a couple years later or so). Sort of break up a big project into smaller pieces.

18. Cat Scan

Cat Scan

That is interesting. You can buy the 383 as a crate engine directly from GM now. I believe you will find it in their High Performance Catalog. Should not create a heat problem. I believe it is a higher priced unit though.

Also, I do not know how the economy stacks against the 350. In a cruiser, I don't think you should expect wonderful economy anyway. I also do not know if the 383 crate engine is 50 State Smog Legal either, if that is an issue to you.

If you can fit a 283 in the rig, the 350 will fit also. Kind of a waste to do the work and put such a small engine in. You will want the 350, as others have mentioned, whether it be for the highway or wheeling.

19. 80fj40

80fj40

GM as far as I know has offered a crate 383 for many years now. But what I meant was that the 383 is not a production engine that GM has put in anything they made ie: right off the assembly line. You can buy a lot of crate engine from GM that you can't find stock in a car or truck.

Whats nice about a really common production engine like say 305 (cheapest), 350 (cheap) and 400 (a bit more) is the price. I'm sure you can easily pick up a running 350 for like $150.

Heat problem I was referrring to the 400 block ... thats why I figure people like to build 383's using a 350 block to get around the 400's overheating "problem."

20. risingsunfj40

risingsunfj40

Engine swap, Is it worth the trouble?

Hey, I'm new here. I have a stock 68 40 with 31's. By modern standards (or even 70's standards) my performance sucks. I've had the FJ for about a year. Before that I had a 82 CJ7, and my dad has a stable of IH's. I love driving my FJ around town and on easy trails, but it's capabilities aren't very impressive on more difficult stuff. Today I was having a hell of time on the trail, meanwhile a stock IH was able to tow me up a steep incline that I couldn't make. My carb (webber 2bbl) kept flooding over, and I just didn't have the traction to get over the terrain (big step rocks on a steep incline). I have bugs to work out, but more power would definatley seem like a step in the right direction. Cost is a big concern for me. I'm in the military and my wife is a stay at home mom, so I'm on a pretty tight budget for my toys. I don't want the uber-trail rock crusher rig, but I'd like to be able to keep up with stock IH's and Toyota Mini Trucks. Kind of embarasing, being the guy that had to turn around cause he couldn't make it to the camp site. Anyone heard of anyone dropping a Chevy 292 in a FJ? I have access to a 292. Do the chevy I6's have the same pattern, or do you need an adaptor? The manual labor and costs vs gains issue is something I have to think about. It's an upgrade from what I'm running, and since I already have it that offsets the cost a bit also, but I am I going to be sattisfied with the results?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.