FJ40 Rear jump seat covers install 101 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
Iam finally getting around to rebuilding my FJ40 jump seats. Recovering the jump seats is very straightforward, but after searching ih8mud, I still had questions.

So I decided to write up my observations, here are a few tips from my upholstery supplier, and the parts and tools I used.

1.jpg

Let's start with the parts list :

Foam: I ordered boat seat foam from one of my suppliers, in both 3 inch and 1 inch thicknesses. Just measure your seats for the amount. I bought a large roll, at bulk prices, for future use.

Some of the foam you will find in the retails stores were not firm enough IMO.
Look for the following when buying foam:
IDL (Firmness – lbs to compress the foam) – I bought foam with a IDL of 40
Density (weight – lbs per cubic foot) I bought 2.8

Screws:
Pan head #8, with #8 counter sunk washers. #6 might have worked, but on some of the holes the #6 screw was loose, so I went with #8 all around. You have to use some elbow grease when screwing them it, but #8 is nice and snug.

Wire: I bought a large roll of 100 ft 16 gauge-galvanized wire. I over calculated you will need 140 inches of wire or just round up to 12 feet.

Hinge parts: I used a #10 bolt, washer and nuts. The bolt was around 2 inches long.
The spacer I use was ½ ID x ¾ SS standoff/bushings.

Seat covers – CCOT . There covers were black to match my front procar seats, and priced right. Very happy with the quality.

Tools: Screwdriver, pick, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, and electric meat cutting knife.

First thing I had to do was create two seats out of my parts stash. Some of the seats were broken, or bent, and they all needed sanding and painting. I drilled out the rivet in the hinge, and used a bolt, spacer and nylon nut on the end. Then I sanded and painted, and was ready to do the seat covers.

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:
Cutting the Foam:

TIP #1 – use electric meat knife to cut foam.

If you have the old foam use it as a template and use the electric meat knife to cut the foam.
On the top of the seat – I used one inch foam.

6.jpg

7.jpg

My tops had three metal plates to bring the foam up. On another seat I had, these where not there. If you don’t have these plates, then you use two pieces of one inch foam. The second piece was smaller to fit inside the tube, preforming the same function as the plates. Does anyone know the differences in years and construction of these seats?

On the bottom cushion – I used both one inch, and three inch foam. The one inch foam was cut smaller to fit into the seat bottom, inside the frame tubes.
In both the top and bottom, the second piece of foam should be as wide as the seat tube frame.

bottom-foam-fit.jpg

Install the Wire:
Next I cut the wire, folded over the end, so it would not snag the material, and pushed it thru the pockets.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

Last edited:
TIP #2 – preload your screws and washers. When pulling the covers tight, it was nice to be able to grab a screw with one hand.

Next I test fitted the foam, and the new covers, centered them, and installed the first screw. Using your punch – make a hole between the seam and wire, and screw it in.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

TIP #3 – work from the middle. I placed a screw on the top middle, then pulled that material tight, and installed the bottom middle screw.

Then alternating sides outward from the middle screw - working left to right – alternating sides, start to punch holes and install the screws.

I punch each whole as I worked my way around, don’t pre punch holes. If you want, but not necessary – heat the cover in the sun – it will help it stretch.

top_bottom.jpg

work_around.jpg

Last edited:
TIP #4 – don’t tighten the screws down. Leave them loose enough to pull the wire, but tight enough to hold. When you get the the last screw in the corner – before you punch that whole – make sure the bottom and top cover are pulled tight and cover the foam. You now need to tuck the foam in, or cut it. I tried both ways - not much difference . Now tighten the corner screws.

On one of my seat back – it seemed short a screw, so I drilled a new hole.
Maybe someone can tell me why? Differences in years and seat frame construction?

corner1.jpg
corner2.jpg
cornersnip.jpg
drill.jpg

Last edited:
Tip #5 – pulling your wire.

When you finally get to the end it’s time to pull the wire, and snug down the corners.
Make the middle screw tight, and made sure it catches the wire. Then work on one side at a time.

Take your pliers, Pull the wire and bend it around the last screw. Then tightened the screws. Your corners will look nice a flat. Now take your pliers, and snip the wire, and tuck it in.

pullwire1.jpg

corner3.jpg

corners4.jpg

Last edited:
Tip #6 – the sun is your friend. One the first seat I did - there were places were I did not pull the material tight. I put the seats out in the sun for a while, to heat up the covers.
You are then able to tug and smooth of wrinkles.

Your all done – have a beer, and install your seats in your truck!

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent pics & write up. Indeed, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thank you.

John

I should have the straps today... I'll add that to the post.

Nice work! You might also want to include the strap install which is just removing one screw and tucking the strap under the fabric and then reinstalling the screw.

If you don't mind, could you post the length of your straps when you get them? Seems I've seen a couple of different lengths. I've made 3 sets of the straps in 3 different fabrics and as I recall they were 9".

Today my seat strap arrived. I ordered the 8.75 inch length.

Guess what.... it's too short! It seems the 8.75 measurement is not the overall size of the strap, but the length between the center of each hole. I bought these from CruiserCorps. Nice quality strap. I actually have ordered the next size up from them, the 11" inch. I'll post up pictures when it arrives.

strap_seat1.jpg
strap_seat2.jpg
strap_seat3.jpg
strap_seat4.jpg

Bummer. Can you smooch the cushions enough to snap the strap?

I stole my wife's cloth tape she uses for sewing... I got in big trouble, and she went out and bought me my own! ;)

If you want to measure something that goes around a bend or two - use a cloth or fiberglass tape made for that , makes it a lot easier and more accurate . I get a lot of looks at the fabric outlets from the women folk for hunting tools in there...lol .
Sarge

Great thread and thanks for sharing;)

Wow!!! Nicely done. I wish I had this when I reupholstered my jump seats. Would have saved me some time and the neighbors would have been spared hearing a few F-Bombs.

PS - I like the beer opener!! Where did you get it?

Click Link - http://store.cruisercrap.com ;)

Wow!!! Nicely done. I wish I had this when I reupholstered my jump seats. Would have saved me some time and the neighbors would have been spared hearing a few F-Bombs.

PS - I like the beer opener!! Where did you get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom