FJ40... progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At this pace he'll be done by his 16th lifetime.

I'm shooting for my 12th Mike... but even with that I imagine I'll still be done before OB... and maybe even Daniel!

At this pace he'll be done by his 16th lifetime.

I'm shooting for my 12th Mike... but even with that I imagine I'll still be done before OB... and maybe even Daniel!

Mark,
Your progress is going so much better than mine that you have pure bragging rights here. Keep it going.

Since the last update:

Reinstalled the heater, pedal bucket, gas pedal, some switches and the wiring harness to the cowl

Welded in a bit of steel to repair the rust holes in the floor at the front of the flat part just under the passenger's feet and a piece of angle underneath where the body mount meets the floor.

Welded in a repair of the "A" pillar where it meets the floor on the driver's side. It was rusted gone...

Cleaned, prepped, primed and bedlinered the underside of the floors and bottom of the firewall on the cowl... including inside the body mount pieces.

Installed the cowl back on the frame with new poly body mounts and hardware!!!!

Hooked up the brake booster and clutch cylinder to the firewall and hooked them to the pedals.

Reinstalled the steering column to the firewall and steering shaft to the steering gear box.

Installed the rear driveshaft.

Dragged out from storage next to the shed in the backyard, cleaned up and sprayed bedliner on the underside of the Aqualu aluminum tub... generously. I'm hoping it will deaden sound vibrations some and keep road debris from sounding like rocks in a tin can when it gets kicked up under the truck. Plus it'll protect the aluminum some.

Generally making some satisfying progress! It is starting to look like a truck again...

Mark

Last edited:
Today the 40 started and ran for the first time in well over 2 years! Came up to temp and idled nicely.

Next up: clutch and brake reconnect, refill and bleed.

Today the 40 started and ran for the first time in well over 2 years! Came up to temp and idled nicely.

Next up: clutch and brake reconnect, refill and bleed.

Coming to the home stretch!!

I did like your pipe braces in back to replace the rusted channels. They should be stronger and shed water easier. MIke

Today:

Sorted through 10 or so boxes of parts - found a bunch of stuff destined for the 40 AND the 60!

trip to Pep Boys for fluids,

installed a couple of Speed Bleeders,

reinstalled clutch slave,

refilled and bled clutch and brakes,

found, refreshed and installed thermostat housing - I busted the bolts on the one that was on there trying to get it open to put in a new thermostat (DOH!)

installed 4wd switch on TC

filled the tranny and transfer case with fresh gear oil

ran the truck for 20 minutes or so: TC in neutral, switching through all FIVE gears to splash the gear oil around some

Good day.

Well here are some pics... made a bit more progress. I had to cut some of the floor of the tub to clear the transfer case. I got the rear end body mounts in place. I need to weld to the frame the 4 new steel body mount brackets I got to replace the ones (2 on each side) under the tub about where the seats are... the original ones were rotted to almost nothing.
IMG_0699.jpg
IMG_0702.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg

looks good:

Did you figure out the hole for the e-brake with the tub insatlled?

looks good:

Did you figure out the hole for the e-brake with the tub insatlled?

I have not gotten that far... I did give some thought to modifying the tranny hump and building the seat frame though!

looks good. I need to do my 80 dash like that.

- Aftermarket tube seat frame tack welded together
- seat mounting tabs positioned and tack welded and
- seats modded and temporarily bolted in place!
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0811.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom