FJ40... progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That cowl looks a whole lot easier to work on hanging upside down!
Spring green/mint green from the early 40 series would look great.

Looks good so far...

Nick

It is pretty easy to get at things like that... the glove box hole is right at chest height... and that color green was one of my choices....
DSC04040.JPG

It is pretty easy to get at things like that... the glove box hole is right at chest height... and that color green was one of my choices....

That's like an aged 1962 Daphne Blue Fender Strat. Fender used Chevy paint codes in the old daze.

That's like an aged 1962 Daphne Blue Fender Strat. Fender used Chevy paint codes in the old daze.

I'm thinking more green than blue... but I do like the "aged" aesthetic...

That VW color looks awesome. It would definitely show imperfections from scraping against trees though, should that ever happen.

Well, I decided to not decide on a color for the exterior of the 40. I DID decide to paint the interior dash/cowl a neutral color - probably a dark gray or maybe this metallic black I found - with the idea that I could paint the exterior any color and it wouldn't clash with the interior.

To that end (after taking 20+ pictures to document the placement of all components on and under the dash) I stripped the dash of all switches and the gauge cluster, removed the heater stuff and pulled the wiring harness... leaving just the sheet metal. Starting with the dash panel itself I sanded any little rust spots and took the shine off of the rest. I wiped it down with thinner and sprayed it with primer. I'll be getting to the underside of the dash in more detail later this week I hope.
IMG_0229.jpg

Ok... so satin black it is... all sanded, primed, and painted - a few coats of rattle can satin black... While it looks like there might still be some red showing through the black there isn't...it's just reflections in the photos. Where I didn't paint black, the parts that will be visible with the doors closed, there is still the original red - that new color is still TBD.
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg

I got the engine side cleaned up, and painted... it's Rustoleum "Stainless Steel". Now I can start reinstalling the wire harness, gauge cluster, switches, heater etc!
IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0361.jpg
IMG_0362.jpg

Please touch up those 2 drip marks on the left.

Yeah, I think I'm going to strip the whole thing and start over. I don't think I could be comfortable driving the truck knowing that those drips were there. The embarrassment would just kill me.

Oh, by the way, bite me.

Mark
PS That part, the ribbed steel, will be getting an application of undercoating on the underside...

looking good...

i like that SS paint ...i used it on all my lil 'pewter' bits...matches nice enough...IMO ou will need a clear coat on it...satin clear :) i dont know if its the best at weather protection right out of the can

looking good...

i like that SS paint ...i used it on all my lil 'pewter' bits...matches nice enough...IMO ou will need a clear coat on it...satin clear :) i dont know if its the best at weather protection right out of the can

Is the rattle can satin clear something "better" than colored rattle can paint?

Is the rattle can satin clear something "better" than colored rattle can paint?

just an added lare of protection...i knoticed in the past when i used the ss on my bumper that it wore down and had signs of rust coming thru ...but...the second time i did it....i used the ss paint and CC on top....seems to be holding up Much better

Just a baby step, I know. Rebuilt with all new foam, bushings, springs and screws using Shane's heater rebuild kit, paint and elbow grease... on the kitchen table (except for the painting)
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg

Another baby step... but at least I'm still moving forward...
All derusted, painted, lubed and reassembled... (gas pedal too, just not shown here...)

I think I'm almost ready to start the cowl reassembly!
IMG_0465.jpg

Blue of course! But Seafoam green as shown is cool too. I love that vw.

Excellent work, Mark. Keep going at your own pace. I find that it reduces errors that way.

Thanks... I'd LIKE the pace to pick up but between the cold (and no real heat in the shop), 4 kids and my own business it is getting harder to drop in to keep things moving... but I'll keep trying...

Damn Mark, I remember when you bought the 40 and loaded it up on the LI ferry in Bridgeport.

and the engine seizing up on the drive home.....doh. It's looking good. I never thought it would have that much rot in the rear.....

btw, seafoam color is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom