Fj40 Emission Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 1977 fj40. Its my first Land Cruiser and I'm worried about it passing emissions here in Utah. It has stock engine, but its straight piped.

I've read on a couple of forumns that it has to have specialized equipment to pass emissions. Is there any special equipment, smog pumps, cataletic converter, etc. I need?

I live in Tennessee, a different laws than Utah, with that being said.

They test here in Nashville, but they only hold to the standard of the time the truck was produced.
They do run a mirror under the truck. ( Mine was missing catalytic converter)
They do not check under the hood.

I removed all the smog components from my truck and using todays gas ( 10% ethanol) it passed with flying colors.
If need be run E85 to get it tested, then run it out and fill up with pure gas!!

Ethanol is very caustic on carbs and gas tanks not designed to use it.

Thanks so much for replying! As far as I know this truck cam without a cat stock. Are you saying you had to add one?

No cat needed if it's the stock motor, the 77 cruiser never came with one.

Without going into everything, you really need to chat with the locals around you (Cruiser outfitters can probably help out a lot). Someone telling you what's legal in Louisiana, or California or Nevada may have absolutely no bearing on the smog rules in your area. 77 came with smog pumps and assorted smog equipment. That may be required in your area, or it may not..

... and, if you have to meet emissions standards, you could definitely make use of the proper 'emissions' Factiry Service Manual (FSM).

@subzali desmogged his '77 and thoroughly documented it, on MUD.

Then, Colorado changed their rules, or something, and he had to resmog it - he documented it here --> '77 FJ40 Federal 2F desmog

I just picked up a 1977 fj40. Its my first Land Cruiser and I'm worried about it passing emissions here in Utah. It has stock engine, but its straight piped.

I've read on a couple of forumns that it has to have specialized equipment to pass emissions. Is there any special equipment, smog pumps, cataletic converter, etc. I need?

Where in Utah do you live? Do you have any relatives that live in a county that doesn't require emmissions?

... and, if you have to meet emissions standards, you could definitely make use of the proper 'emissions' Factiry Service Manual (FSM).

@subzali desmogged his '77 and thoroughly documented it, on MUD.

Then, Colorado changed their rules, or something, and he had to resmog it - he documented it here --> '77 FJ40 Federal 2F desmog

Im on an iPhone and don't have edit capability.

The link I posted, above, is his desmog... now, I can't seem to locate his resmog thread... but I'm sure @subzali will link it here.

Im on an iPhone and don't have edit capability.

The link I posted, above, is his desmog... now, I can't seem to locate his resmog thread... but I'm sure @subzali will link it here.

It's basically in post 61 of that thread. If you take anything off, I recommend you keep it in a box. 77 stuff is unique to that model year.

If Utah does not require an "under hood" inspection, then many times a fresh aftermarket cat. convt. will help you pass the tail pipe test (even if your rig does not require a cat. convt.). In Cali, even when we have the complete emissions system, much of it no longer works, but we keep it on the engine to pass the under hood visual, then install a cat. convt. just to pass the tail pipe test- - -easy deal..

I have a Feb 77 federal smog fj40. All original. I can take pictures etc and answer basic questions.

I have a Feb 77 federal smog fj40. All original. I can take pictures etc and answer basic questions.

That would be amazing! I'm going to go over it with a mechanic friend of mine and see what I'm missing, then I'm sure I will have questions for you.

Where in Utah do you live? Do you have any relatives that live in a county that doesn't require emmissions?

I live in Utah County. I have some distant relatives in Sanpete. Might be attending the reunion this year. Wink Wink.

So I talked to the guy who will be doing my emissions and inspection and this is what he said I needed for a 1977 fj40 with 2F.

PCV
ACL Air Cleaner
AIS (4 O2 Sensors
EGR

Here's some picks of my engine bay. What am I missing?

20170729_121537.jpg

20170729_121544.jpg

20170729_121550.jpg

20170729_121601.jpg

20170729_121610.jpg

The EGR is still there.

The smog (air) pump and associated hoses are missing, but he did not say you needed those?

I didn't think a '77 had a cat converter; that would be the only place there would have been a single O2 sensor.

Can't see from the photos if your PCV is still installed or not.

There won't be any o2 sensors. Nor a cat.
You are missing the smog pump as noted all ready and all of the smog components that mount on the driver fender.

You will also need an emissions computer that is mounted above your clutch pedal on the inside fire wall.

I can take some photos for you tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom