FJ40 Drum Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I own a 1980 European version FJ40 with front Drum brakes. I need to replace brake pads and drums.
My pads are 3" wide (is this the standard) and drums have fins.
I cant find these drums. Cant I just use whats available in stores on the web?
Thank you for all your comments....

IMG_5895.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

I searched my online parts catalog for the earlier European FJ40s (through the '80 models) and found a part number (43512-60030), not available), and a substitute part number (43512-60070), also not available. Couldn't find an aftermarket source online, have you checked with any local parts houses?

I ran across a post from 2011 that sheds a little more light on the subject:

brand new 3" drums and shoes

They look like the 77 Fj45 drums I have in the garage. 45s have wider drums and kept using them past 1975.

Incase anybody is interested Spectre has them also. And yes FJ45 had the wider shoes up to 7/80.
Thanks again all...

I was happy to find the 295 drum at my local toyota parts dealer yesterday. He only had one in stock and I picked up the second one today. However, while is it is the correct diameter, it is for the 2 1/2" wide shoes! I'm not sure it will even work on the rear since the rear is a 290mm surface and there may be a problem with the backing plate. I'm also concerned that the front backing plate where the cylinders mount would have been stamped providing a centerline of the wheel cylinder to the 3" shoe which would put it 1/4" off center with the narrower shoe. No wonder people convert to disc brakes.

FJ45 Front Drum, did you get two of them? Lucky find. There is a company in Australia that makes them.

Yes, I’ve got two.
Based on my information all aftermarket companies produce the standard “flat” drum form but not the oem “cooling form”. For the original restoration the oem form might be important...

Yes, I’ve got two.
Based on my information all aftermarket companies produce the standard “flat” drum form but not the oem “cooling form”. For the original restoration the oem form might be important...
Yes, my '79 non-USA 40 had power drums but got the bigger ones up front. They are finned and the Australian units are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom