Builds Fj40 Daily and Wheeler build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now that you have had some time to run your rig, how are you liking the Lizard skin and raptor liner? Are they holding up well? Would you recommend that combo?

I'm liking both a lot. The uncoated lizard skin on the bottom has held up great so far, and it works very well for sound and heat, and the raptor liner just makes life easier. No need to worry about the paint, I can toss tools in no problem, people climbing in and out don't have to worry about scratching stuff. It's 100% worth doing IMO.

I'm liking both a lot. The uncoated lizard skin on the bottom has held up great so far, and it works very well for sound and heat, and the raptor liner just makes life easier. No need to worry about the paint, I can toss tools in no problem, people climbing in and out don't have to worry about scratching stuff. It's 100% worth doing IMO.
Did you use both the ceramic and the sound insulation? How is it holding up to heat from the exhaust? Did you sound control the firewall?

Did you use both the ceramic and the sound insulation? How is it holding up to heat from the exhaust? Did you sound control the firewall?

Yep, entire underside and firewall in both sound and ceramic. It has been holding up very well as far as I can tell.

Now that you have had some time to run your rig, how are you liking the Lizard skin and raptor liner? Are they holding up well? Would you recommend that combo?
The removable firewall insulation was a game changer and worth the time. The lizard skin seems really fragile to me. It does help with heat. The raptor I'm a little torn about. I think linex or rhino is tougher and I might have had them do it. As you see in my thread prep is important. There is also the lizard skin sound control which I did not use. I think it's unlikely sound control would make any difference. Fj40s emit low frequency noises, and for that you need really specific and thick sound insulation.

The removable firewall insulation was a game changer and worth the time. The lizard skin seems really fragile to me. It does help with heat. The raptor I'm a little torn about. I think linex or rhino is tougher and I might have had them do it. As you see in my thread prep is important. There is also the lizard skin sound control which I did not use. I think it's unlikely sound control would make any difference. Fj40s emit low frequency noises, and for that you need really specific and thick sound insulation.

What has been happening to your lizard skin?

What has been happening to your lizard skin?
Nothing. But if I'm pulling out the tcase for repair and hit the lizard skin with the tcase it will scrape off the lizard skin. It's just kind of fragile and brittle it seems unless i mixed it wrong or something. I don't have it applied anywhere where durability is really needed much so it's fine for me.

I talked to the local Linex guy and he said that I would have to sandblast the Aqualu tub to get the adhesion. He also noted that if it was near the exhaust/ muffler, it may still peel off due to the heat.

I talked to the local Linex guy and he said that I would have to sandblast the Aqualu tub to get the adhesion. He also noted that if it was near the exhaust/ muffler, it may still peel off due to the heat.
Makes sense. You could make some heat shields during mock up first.

@White Stripe What did you do for threads in the circles below? Did you tap the aluminum, or did you put in rivet nuts?
1650203052142.png

@White Stripe What did you do for threads in the circles below? Did you tap the aluminum, or did you put in rivet nuts?
View attachment 2984283
I tapped the aluminum. Only heavy items like seat brackets or roll cage mounts got nuts on the back.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Finally got the 40 out of storage. I've moved 4 times in 2 years and had 2 surgeries. So I let the 40 sit until things got settled. Has a rear axle seal leaking. So I'm going to avoid driving it until that's fixed. I also can't get the rear locker to engage. I bought a challenger lift for one of my garages, so that will make stuff easier. In my travels I picked up some parts to give the 40 some more pep later on. While in storage the clutch master leaked and ate up some of the firewall paint. Ill have to fix that paint eventually.
20240107_082451.jpg

Finally got the 40 out of storage. I've moved 4 times in 2 years and had 2 surgeries. So I let the 40 sit until things got settled. Has a rear axle seal leaking. So I'm going to avoid driving it until that's fixed. I also can't get the rear locker to engage. I bought a challenger lift for one of my garages, so that will make stuff easier. In my travels I picked up some parts to give the 40 some more pep later on. While in storage the clutch master leaked and ate up some of the firewall paint. Ill have to fix that paint eventually.View attachment 3537517
This is a bad ass 40. Hope you can get it back on the road to enjoy it soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom